Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

absurdity
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Issue with opening office documents

Tue Mar 18, 2003 3:56 pm

This is something I've got going on with another person on campus. There were a number of issues among this. The user has a folder of all her office documents, and when she double-clicks to open one, it will come up in the appropriate app (Word and Excel are the two most used), and after a few seconds (after it is completely opened and all the pages have been counted or what-not), it switches back to the window from which she opened the file.

It is a Windows NT 4 machine running Office 2000. It is not limited to just her account, I tried a couple others. Applying a fresh image to the machine fixed all her other problems, and seemed to fix this one, but it came back as I was having her try it out.

My idea is that it has something to do with her own roaming file, and then it somehow spreads to the local All Users profile.

Any ideas?

morphine
TR Staff

Wed Mar 19, 2003 11:47 pm

I've once seen that problem with people using copied versions of Office, more specifically, a pirated key that caused Office apps to close a few seconds after opening. Get a legal (or an actual working) key.

hookahmasta
Gerbil First Class

Wed Mar 19, 2003 11:52 pm

Here's the direct link to the Microsoft knowledge base regarding this problem.....

http://support.microsoft.com/default.as ... us;q255503

absurdity
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Thu Mar 20, 2003 9:28 am

It is a legal copy, it was purchased by the school and we have a campus-wide license.

And thanks for the link hookahmasta, it doesn't look to be exactly the problem I'm having. I'm pretty sure the install is at SR-2, I'll try out the latest and greatest patches and see what happens.

element
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Mar 20, 2003 9:36 am

Try opening it in OpenOffice.org
It's a free download at http://www.openoffice.org and it's compatible with MS Office docs.
"I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image." -- Stephen Hawking

morphine
TR Staff

Thu Mar 20, 2003 9:39 am

absurdity wrote:
It is a legal copy, it was purchased by the school and we have a campus-wide license.

Maybe the key got black-listed? :D (j/k)