Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

pez-king
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

XP user picture?

Mon Mar 24, 2003 1:24 am

heh, this is a dumb question... but I can't figure it out.

On XP using the new start menu, am I supposed to have my user picture showing up there? Becasue right now it isn't, and i cannot figure out why not. I have one picked and all.

It's not exactly importaint, i just feel slightly jipped not having one showing.

Any suggestions?

andurin
Gerbil Elite

Mon Mar 24, 2003 2:23 am

As long as you don't have it set to "Classic Start Menu" it should show the picture. Right click on Task Bar, choose properties, and then the "Start Menu" tab. Make sure it says "start menu" and you should be good. Otherwise, I've got no idea...

etilena
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Mar 24, 2003 2:29 am

Anyone knows the dimensions of that picture? Could custom make one for it. :D
*yawn*

Austin
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Location: Birmingham ENGLAND (some say Mars, or was it Uranus)

Mon Mar 24, 2003 5:33 pm

:wink: 64x56 pixels or there abouts. Obv click 'BROWSE for pic' under 'User Accounts'.

pez-king
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Mon Mar 24, 2003 6:17 pm

i have it set to the new start menu. I have a picture selected and it's even one of the premade ones. It just will not show.

Ulixes
Gerbil

Mon Mar 24, 2003 6:30 pm

What type of log on do you have? The new Xp version that displays a list of all user with there picture or the classic version with just the username and password bars in s single window. I think you can change it in Control Panel/User Accounts. One of the taps should be "Type of logon" or something of the like.

pez-king
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Mon Mar 24, 2003 7:25 pm

ehh thanks anyway guys!!

I totally figured it out, you NEED to have the welcome screen enabled to be able to have the icon as well. Oh well, i'm the only user :wink:

andurin
Gerbil Elite

Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:12 pm

pez-king wrote:
ehh thanks anyway guys!!

I totally figured it out, you NEED to have the welcome screen enabled to be able to have the icon as well. Oh well, i'm the only user :wink:

I'm the only user on my box, and still get the picture, even though I don't have the welcome screen enabled...
<font size=2>Hobbes: "Whatcha doin?"
Calvin: "I'm killing time while I wait for life to shower me with meaning and happiness."
Hobbes: :roll: "I hope you're comfy."
Calvin: "You could get me something to eat."</font>

fc34
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sun Mar 30, 2003 10:42 pm

The picture should still show up even though you are the only user. Try switching to the XP style Start Menu(sux though) if you want that pic. In my opinion tats just a waste of disk space.
Windows XP - The 64-bit wannabe with a 32-bit graphics interface for 16-bit extensions to a 8-bit patch on a 4-bit operating system designed to run on a 2-bit processor by a company that can't stand 1-bit of competition