Vista - Ctrl + Shift changes keys

Monopoly money comes in many flavors: 7, Vista, XP, 2K, ME, 98, etc.

Moderators: Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

Vista - Ctrl + Shift changes keys

Postposted on Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:46 am

Hello all, I've run into a strange problem. Well it's not really a problem, but it's annoying.

In Vista, if the CTRL-SHIFT buttons are held down for 2-5 seconds, my ? turns into a É

ÉÉÉÉ

and to get it back to the question mark Ièd have to hold the Ctrl-Shift again.

Iève turned off.... wait... Apparently it effects the ' as well.

I've turned off the language bar completely as I thought that was the problem, but the CrtlShift still messes it up.

It doesnt bother me really, but our CEO is inadvertently going back and forth and he would like to find out how to turn this off completely. Any ideas would be appreciated.
"...and she says, 'That's not my expansion slot.' So my friend says, 'That's not my gold plated 22-pin connector!! Ah-hahahaHA!"
roont
Graphmaster Gerbil

Re: Vista - Ctrl + Shift changes keys

Postposted on Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:49 am

Is this in Vista, or just in Office?
wibeasley
Gerbil Elite
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:54 am

That sounds like you've got a multilingual keyboard installed -- I've seen something like this in Canadian setups where they have both the English and French keyboard layouts installed to make it easier to switch from one layout to the other. If you look in the Regional / Language settings in the control panel (not sure exactly what it's called in the Vista "for dummies" control panel) you'll probably see multiple keyboard layouts installed. If you remove everything but English this behavior should go away (there may be a less drastic way to disable it, I don't know).
UberGerbil
Gerbil Khan

Postposted on Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:00 pm

It is in Vista, effecting all applications, not just office.

I think I figured it out though. There was another "International" keyboard installed. I hadn't seen it before because I was looking at the Language bar settings. Deleted this one and it doesn't seem to happen anymore. That's kinda stupid. I never installed a second keyboard. (I set up the CEO's PC myself) and I'm guessing just because I chose Canada as the country Vi$ta went ahead and assumed that I'm bilingual. That's assuming a lot, MS.

Thanks for the pointer, Uber.
"...and she says, 'That's not my expansion slot.' So my friend says, 'That's not my gold plated 22-pin connector!! Ah-hahahaHA!"
roont
Graphmaster Gerbil

Postposted on Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:05 pm

Ya, Canadians get the french language keyboard installed by default. Every time I install the OS, first thing I do is go in and remove the secondary keyboard, or, if the user wants the keyboard available, I remove the shortcut to switch between them.
Intel i7 860, Asus P7P55D Pro, 4x2GB Corsair XMS3 1600 (CMX4GX3M2A1600C9), EVGA GTX 560 Ti Superclocked
Seagate 7200.7 160GB, WD Caviar Black 640GB, WD Caviar Green 1TB, WD Caviar Green 2TB
Dell 2408WFP and Dell 2407WFP-HC for dual-24" goodness
emorgoch
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:11 pm

roont wrote:I'm guessing just because I chose Canada as the country Vi$ta went ahead and assumed that I'm bilingual. That's assuming a lot, MS.
You're assuming that isn't some requirement imposed by Canadian law or to qualify for Canadian government IT sales (not saying it is, but there are stranger things in Windows resulting from local sensibilities -- like the time zone "map" in the clock applet)
Thanks for the pointer, Uber.
cheers
UberGerbil
Gerbil Khan

Return to Windows