W7 family pack 'upgrade'

Monopoly money comes in many flavors: 7, Vista, XP, 2K, ME, 98, etc.

Moderators: Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

W7 family pack 'upgrade'

Postposted on Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:35 am

I know this is an 'upgrade' pack requiring you to have legit versions of XP already, but do you have to install W7 family packs on the very same machines that XP is already installed on ? I'm interested in clean installs and have 2 XP licenses which came OEM with the PC's. Trouble is those PC's are now dead/incapable of running W7 so would like to install W7 family pack on 2 new PC's. Is it possible with family pack upgrade or do I have to buy 2x non-upgrade versions of W7 ?
Thanks.
C64, 1541 HDD, 1702 Screen, tape deck.
BeachNut
Gerbil

Re: W7 family pack 'upgrade'

Postposted on Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:42 am

Yes you can if those 2 new computers have legit Windows OS already installed. If you're old PCs have Retail licenses you can reinstall XP on new PC's and upgrade away. If old licenses are OEM then no since you cant use them on new pcs. Thats the legal language - ofcourse noone is stoping u from doing it anyway (I think u can trick upgrade instalation on an empty computer alltogether).
DancingWind
Gerbil

Re: W7 family pack 'upgrade'

Postposted on Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:32 pm

From a purely legal, follow the license agreement perspective:
OEM licenses are non-transferable. An OEM license only permits you to run Windows on the original system that the OEM license was distributed with/first installed the license on. The upgrade can only be installed on this original system.
Retail licenses are transferable. As such, you can retire a computer, move the retail license to a new system, and then install the upgrade on that system.

None of this addresses the technical ability of what you are able to do...
Intel i7 860, Asus P7P55D Pro, 4x2GB Corsair XMS3 1600 (CMX4GX3M2A1600C9), EVGA GTX 560 Ti Superclocked
Seagate 7200.7 160GB, WD Caviar Black 640GB, WD Caviar Green 1TB, WD Caviar Green 2TB
Dell 2408WFP and Dell 2407WFP-HC for dual-24" goodness
emorgoch
Gerbil Elite

Return to Windows