XP Load-Screen Black with Cursor

Monopoly money comes in many flavors: 7, Vista, XP, 2K, ME, 98, etc.

Moderators: Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

XP Load-Screen Black with Cursor

Postposted on Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:16 pm

Well i've got this system (Dell 6400) that does not let me load into windows. Im sure that the client got the computer screwed by a bad virus or managed to install updates incorrectly to cause the issue. Short of re-installing I would like to run a registry cleaner/repair utility on the system. However I can't boot into a windows enviroment with it hence I can't fix the registry with your typical software. Has anyone used or came across some a piece of software that allows you to hook up a primary drive to an external and scan/repair system files. I've already tried the XP disk (with SP3) and ran an unattended repair on it, no luck.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943

i5-2500K|Asus P67 Sabertooth|16GB Corsair 1600|MSI 7850 2GB|250gb Evo 840|Corsair 400R|ET750w PSU|Logitech G5|Dell 2420L|Corsair Vengeance 1300
Welch
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Gold subscriber

Re: XP Load-Screen Black with Cursor

Postposted on Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:54 pm

Hmm, the repair job you tried may screw this idea up, but you can normally restore a previous registry via the recovery console from the "system volume information" folder, so essentially you're doing a limited system restore. Did you try this already?

Also, I'm assuming that when this machine tries to boot, it gets past the BIOS, then when it should be showing the XP loading screen, you're just getting a black screen with a flashing cursor? If it is failing here, I might be inclined to manually transfer known-ok files like ntldr.

Btw, I steer well clear of using the windows XP repair install option, but perhaps that's because once all my other ideas fail, this tactic won't work either. I've had it get me into far worse jams than I started with :)
mikeymike
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:39 am

I've seen this on about 10 machines, and have never seen a fix for this most recent occurance. I've had to reload every machine with a new copy of XP. What I found out about it was that it was part of a MS Update that changes some permissions somewhere. In my case I had symantec installed and it didn't like it.. Symanted blames MS, MS blamed Symantec.. you can boot in safe mode though, right?
Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit!
DLHM
Gerbil First Class

Postposted on Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:42 am

@ DLHM

If you can get into the recovery console, disable all the symantec services.
mikeymike
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:45 am

I did that.. normally if it's broke I can fix it.. I'm not going to spend any more time on this issue... it's easier to reload..
Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit!
DLHM
Gerbil First Class

Postposted on Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:54 am

By strange coincidence I just had this on a Vista laptop, and did the Vista equivalent of fixmbr and fixboot (bootrec /fixmbr and /fixboot respectively), which fixed the problem.
mikeymike
Gerbil Elite

Return to Windows