*temporary* install of ms paint

Monopoly money comes in many flavors: 7, Vista, XP, 2K, ME, 98, etc.

Moderators: Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

*temporary* install of ms paint

Postposted on Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:12 pm

Hi guys, I am an admin for an aging lab of XP machines at a one of the high schools I administer for my school district tech job. I've got it pretty locked down thus far so the kids can stay on task, but the teacher in that lab is requesting that MS Paint be put on the machines temporarily and then removed later so that it will no longer be a distraction when they do not need it. I was wondering: short of imaging every machine, is there a good/quick way to install the application on all the lab machines if I have their NetBIOS names complete with shortcuts with a way to easily remove them at a later date? I'd really appreciate any sort of suggestion, as I am not a scripting deity like some of you guys on here undoubtedly are. Free is the name of the game here, please do not suggest any software to buy to accomplish the aforementioned task. Thanks again guys.
[i73770][32GB DDR3-1600][Win8.1 Pro][ASRock B75][NZXT Source][HD6950-2GB][Dell U3011][240GB SSD][1TB 7K1000][Seasonic M12II 620]
[Yamaha RX-V663][Paradigm Mini Monitor][Velodyne DLS-4000R][Schiit Modi] [Latitude D630]
apertur3
Gerbil

Re: *temporary* install of ms paint

Postposted on Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:31 pm

I've used PSExec with some success for remotely executing installations and applications in the past : http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysi ... s/bb897553

I'm not a scripting genius by any means but a few trials and errors I was able to script up a pretty simple .bat that got the job done most of the time.

I imaging you can store the installation file or just the executable itself somewhere and either run the install/copy the exe to a folder on the local machine. Can you execute paint located on a network drive? Maybe you can just stick a shortcut to the paint.exe on a network location, give them a shortcut and then just delete the exe when you don't want them to use it anymore.

K
i7-3770K | Asus P8Z77-V LK | 8GB DDR3-1600 | HD5850 | 128GB 840 Pro | Samsung F3 1TB | U2412M | Define R4 | Seasonic 520W M12II | Win7 Pro x64.
frumper15
Gerbil Team Leader
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:40 pm

frumper15 wrote:I've used PSExec with some success for remotely executing installations and applications in the past : http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysi ... s/bb897553

I'm not a scripting genius by any means but a few trials and errors I was able to script up a pretty simple .bat that got the job done most of the time.

I imaging you can store the installation file or just the executable itself somewhere and either run the install/copy the exe to a folder on the local machine. Can you execute paint located on a network drive? Maybe you can just stick a shortcut to the paint.exe on a network location, give them a shortcut and then just delete the exe when you don't want them to use it anymore.

K

I was hoping it'd be some sort of Sysinternals solution. Best free Windows admin tools ever, IMO. I'm going to do a little experimenting and hopefully post my findings here, but I like the idea of just placing a network shortcut. I'm not the one who manages user privs and I'm short on time though, so I hope they have rights to do that. I'll test today. Do you think PSExec would be good for copying shortcuts? What are they, .lnk?
[i73770][32GB DDR3-1600][Win8.1 Pro][ASRock B75][NZXT Source][HD6950-2GB][Dell U3011][240GB SSD][1TB 7K1000][Seasonic M12II 620]
[Yamaha RX-V663][Paradigm Mini Monitor][Velodyne DLS-4000R][Schiit Modi] [Latitude D630]
apertur3
Gerbil

Postposted on Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:40 pm

Kids need to learn early the skills they'll use later when trying to hide their online activity from their bosses. Quick alt-tab/ctrl-tab reflexes build up rarely combined muscle groups in the hands and ward of carpel tunnel, and feigning the thousand-pixel stare one acquires after not really paying attention to the work they're doing can lead them straight to the very top.
babs
Gerbil In Training

Return to Windows