Suggestion for benchmarking... antivirus software

Monopoly money comes in many flavors: 7, Vista, XP, 2K, ME, 98, etc.

Moderators: Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

Suggestion for benchmarking... antivirus software

Postposted on Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:42 pm

Antivirus software performance is something that came up in an IRC channel I'm in, and I thought it'd be interesting to see a good benchmark of various antivirus products, across various versions of Windows, and various basic hardware platforms (doesn't have to be exhaustive, but a single core Atom with 1 gig of RAM, a few mid-range models, and some high-end stuff, to see how it's all affected, in gaming, and in other real-world workloads.

What do you say?
bhtooefr
Darth Gerbil
Silver subscriber

Re: Suggestion for benchmarking... antivirus software

Postposted on Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:55 pm

This isn't really something that i'm too interested in actually. Microsoft Security Essentials works great and doesn't hog a bunch of resources. I feel like it is should be default for most people, at least on consumer desktops/notebooks.
i7 860 - GA-P55-USB3 - 8GiB - HD7850 - SSD - 3.64TB HDD - Xonar D1 - U2410 - Win7 Pro x64.
DancinJack
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Postposted on Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:56 pm

It might be revealing to do a comparison of magnetic and flash hard drives by starting a virus scan and then running a game benchmark.
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III
FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:01 pm

Except, there's actually a debate as far as what's faster, which is why I thought I'd post this up.

I could give it a shot on one or two pieces of hardware, and one or two OSes, but I couldn't do an exhaustive comparison. (Then again, for the purposes of the discussion in that channel, just doing it on my netbook with XP would be enough. There's a program that's having timing issues on the Standard 2009 Netbook Platform of 1.6 GHz Atom, 1 GiB RAM, i945, and 160 GB HDD when MSE's on-access scan is enabled, but works fine with it disabled.)
bhtooefr
Darth Gerbil
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:45 pm

Set it to run at 3AM Monday (Sunday night) and I could care less for the time it may need.
Life is hard; but it's harder if you're stupid. Big Al.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:11 am

Typically, the problem with antivirus affecting performance isn't the scheduled scan, it's on-access scanning.
bhtooefr
Darth Gerbil
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:20 am

bhtooefr wrote:Typically, the problem with antivirus affecting performance isn't the scheduled scan, it's on-access scanning.

Yep. I find most of them pretty bad for this. The only one that I tried and used (over a year ago) was ESET's NOD32, it's on-access scanning was very efficient, I would assume it still is?
Life doesn't change after marriage, it changes after children!
anotherengineer
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:22 pm

The preponderance of freeware antivirus suites (e.g. AVG) means the market is uniquely free, so the best ones should be recommended more often and rank the highest on google. A combination of two that don't conflict--I use AVG and MBAM--equal or exceed digital money pits like McAfee and Symantec/Norton. Technical benchmarks seem unnecessary and will be out of date too fast to be useful. Helpful benchmarks are more support-oriented; specifically, how often is the program's database updated?
babs
Gerbil In Training

Return to Windows