Suggestion for benchmarking... antivirus software

Monopoly money comes in many flavors: 7, Vista, XP, 2K, ME, 98, etc.

Moderators: Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

Suggestion for benchmarking... antivirus software

Postposted on Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:42 pm

Antivirus software performance is something that came up in an IRC channel I'm in, and I thought it'd be interesting to see a good benchmark of various antivirus products, across various versions of Windows, and various basic hardware platforms (doesn't have to be exhaustive, but a single core Atom with 1 gig of RAM, a few mid-range models, and some high-end stuff, to see how it's all affected, in gaming, and in other real-world workloads.

What do you say?
bhtooefr
Darth Gerbil
Silver subscriber

Re: Suggestion for benchmarking... antivirus software

Postposted on Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:55 pm

This isn't really something that i'm too interested in actually. Microsoft Security Essentials works great and doesn't hog a bunch of resources. I feel like it is should be default for most people, at least on consumer desktops/notebooks.
i7 860 - GA-P55-USB3 - 8GiB - HD7850 - SSD - 3.64TB HDD - Xonar D1 - U2410 - Win7 Pro x64.
DancinJack
Gerbil Jedi

Postposted on Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:56 pm

It might be revealing to do a comparison of magnetic and flash hard drives by starting a virus scan and then running a game benchmark.
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III
FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:01 pm

Except, there's actually a debate as far as what's faster, which is why I thought I'd post this up.

I could give it a shot on one or two pieces of hardware, and one or two OSes, but I couldn't do an exhaustive comparison. (Then again, for the purposes of the discussion in that channel, just doing it on my netbook with XP would be enough. There's a program that's having timing issues on the Standard 2009 Netbook Platform of 1.6 GHz Atom, 1 GiB RAM, i945, and 160 GB HDD when MSE's on-access scan is enabled, but works fine with it disabled.)
bhtooefr
Darth Gerbil
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:45 pm

Set it to run at 3AM Monday (Sunday night) and I could care less for the time it may need.
There are people that embrace the Oxford comma and people who don't. Never get between these people when drink has been taken. I use the Oxford comma and always will. The rest can sod off.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:11 am

Typically, the problem with antivirus affecting performance isn't the scheduled scan, it's on-access scanning.
bhtooefr
Darth Gerbil
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:20 am

bhtooefr wrote:Typically, the problem with antivirus affecting performance isn't the scheduled scan, it's on-access scanning.

Yep. I find most of them pretty bad for this. The only one that I tried and used (over a year ago) was ESET's NOD32, it's on-access scanning was very efficient, I would assume it still is?
Life doesn't change after marriage, it changes after children!
anotherengineer
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:22 pm

The preponderance of freeware antivirus suites (e.g. AVG) means the market is uniquely free, so the best ones should be recommended more often and rank the highest on google. A combination of two that don't conflict--I use AVG and MBAM--equal or exceed digital money pits like McAfee and Symantec/Norton. Technical benchmarks seem unnecessary and will be out of date too fast to be useful. Helpful benchmarks are more support-oriented; specifically, how often is the program's database updated?
babs
Gerbil In Training

Return to Windows