stream from your pc to iphone/media player ?

Monopoly money comes in many flavors: 7, Vista, XP, 2K, ME, 98, etc.

Moderators: Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

stream from your pc to iphone/media player ?

Postposted on Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:28 am

Hi Mate,

This year , i decide to put in more feature on my ring which i build up last year , as it was running 24*7 with 2TB harddisk in places.

I will like to enable a "shared" to all device iphone/nokia phone/media player / laptop to share and view the movie/photo which store on my pc.

Can anyone give your advice /experience on how to handle this ? Will it possible to open a port also so that i can browse back from outside to view my movie/photo as well ?
mghong
Gerbil Team Leader

Re: stream from your pc to iphone/media player ?

Postposted on Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:33 am

If you are using Windows 7, once you select to turn on Media Sharing that is automatically a DLNA server, assuming your device can talk to DLNA servers.

Else you will have to look at alternatives. We have a recent discussion on browser based alternatives that you can try. It will depend on your phone though.
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.
Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Re: stream from your pc to iphone/media player ?

Postposted on Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:34 pm

For Apple devices (iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad), it's more of a headache. From what I can see, there are very few options. The only one I know is with an app like StreamToMe (which require a server client on your PC). It seems good for video, but for music, it kinda sucks because you handle just one file at a time. OK for a movie, but not so much when you want to listen to an entire album...
"The mind is like a parachute: it doesn't work unless it's open"... Frank Zappa
vince
Gerbil XP

Return to Windows