Ripping an Icon from an .EXE (Or Other File)?

Monopoly money comes in many flavors: 7, Vista, XP, 2K, ME, 98, etc.

Moderators: Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

Ripping an Icon from an .EXE (Or Other File)?

Postposted on Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:53 pm

Sometime I wanna use an particular icon that's on an .EXE (or other type of file), but there's often not an accompanying .ICO that I can use. What I've done in the past to get around that is to just make a copy of that .EXE and put it in the same whatever folder not to be used but just for a shortcut to point to it for the icon.

But this is not always feasible, such as if the icon for an updated .EXE is changed. All-in-all, it's just better to rip the icon out into like an .ICO file and maybe then just throw the .EXE away, which takes up more HDD space anyway.

So how can this be done? It's not terribly difficult, is it? Thanks! :)
There has been multiple Fatal Errors in TheTechReportForums.ini

Utilize Alternatives (Y/N)?
>Y

FATALITIES!
The Lord of the Flies wins!
The Lord of the Flies
Gerbil Team Leader

Re: Ripping an Icon from an .EXE (Or Other File)?

Postposted on Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:25 pm

Search for "Exe icon extractor".
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.
Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Postposted on Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:17 am

Hey, thanks for the tip, Flying Fox!

In doing that, I found a nice little utility in a very small .EXE that doesn't need to be installed called GetIcons (here's one of several places from which it can be downloaded: http://www.softpedia.com/get/Desktop-Enhancements/Icons-Related/Get-Icons.shtml). So small and so simple to use, and all so handy! Eeh, it sort of reminds me of the good old days of the Commodore 64 when useful utilities abounded (and User Friendliness, not to mention the big idea of the technical usefulness of computers and their programs, was IN). Maybe for the hell of it, I should try looking for more utility programs and see what I find hehehe

Thanks again! :)
There has been multiple Fatal Errors in TheTechReportForums.ini

Utilize Alternatives (Y/N)?
>Y

FATALITIES!
The Lord of the Flies wins!
The Lord of the Flies
Gerbil Team Leader

Postposted on Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:22 pm

The Lord of the Flies wrote:Hey, thanks for the tip, Flying Fox!

In doing that, I found a nice little utility in a very small .EXE that doesn't need to be installed called GetIcons (here's one of several places from which it can be downloaded: http://www.softpedia.com/get/Desktop-Enhancements/Icons-Related/Get-Icons.shtml). So small and so simple to use, and all so handy! Eeh, it sort of reminds me of the good old days of the Commodore 64 when useful utilities abounded (and User Friendliness, not to mention the big idea of the technical usefulness of computers and their programs, was IN). Maybe for the hell of it, I should try looking for more utility programs and see what I find hehehe

Thanks again! :)

There's a lot of cool freeware or tiny programs out there that do neat things like this.

Exe's have different sections, one of them is the Resource section. It's just a bunch of tables that contain things like graphics, icons, whatever. What's cooler is that you can change them. Check out reshacker, otherwise known as Resource Hacker.

Even UI elements are stored in the EXE sections. So you can literally 'hack' the interface of a program you like and change where buttons, text labels, program name, etc.
unisondream
Gerbil In Training

Return to Windows