Curing this without reboot?

Monopoly money comes in many flavors: 7, Vista, XP, 2K, ME, 98, etc.

Moderators: Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

Curing this without reboot?

Postposted on Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:34 am

Every now and then, somehow, this happens (see the tab preview that opens in Firefox on the screen on the right). This happens as well with tooltips - sometimes they get stuck on screens where they shouldn't be, and the only way to fix this is to do whatever re-shows the tooltip, but that only works to move it sometimes. Like this time, whenever I drag a tab to the right screen, it moves the tooltip, but once I let go, it doesn't remove the stupid overlay.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who's experienced this weird problem on Windows machines. Anyone know how to fix this without rebooting?
Mothership: Thuban 1055T@3.7GHz, 12GB DDR3, M5A99X EVO, GTX470+Icy Vision Rev.2@840/3800, Vertex 2E 60GB
Supply ship: Sargas@2.8GHz, 12GB DDR3, M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3
Corsair: Macbook Air Ivy Bridge
Crayon Shin Chan
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: Curing this without reboot?

Postposted on Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:35 am

So where's the problem actually? The picture you provided is small enough to prevent accurately seeing just about anything.

If you mean the tab thumbnail on the right side of the shot being "stuck" instead of fading out, have you tried the following:
- new drivers from nVidia
- new Firefox version that, hopefully, doesn't suck
- terminating Firefox, and restarting it (does closing the process make the stuck preview go away?)
- using a real man's browser

Come back to us with whatever results you get.
Meadows
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:46 am

Restarting Firefox mamkes me unable to influence the position of the tooltip, whereas before when I dragged a tab to the right screen it would at least change position, but not the graphic itself.

This is not a driver issue. This happens sometimes with some programs, and closing the app that made the tooltip does not make it go away. It's a Windows bug. You can see it also sometimes with stuck close button tooltips.

Real man's browser? Don't make me laugh. You're gonna recommend IE and then liken it to having unprotected sex.
Mothership: Thuban 1055T@3.7GHz, 12GB DDR3, M5A99X EVO, GTX470+Icy Vision Rev.2@840/3800, Vertex 2E 60GB
Supply ship: Sargas@2.8GHz, 12GB DDR3, M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3
Corsair: Macbook Air Ivy Bridge
Crayon Shin Chan
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Postposted on Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:12 am

Two things that come to my mind that might do the trick. It's nothing fancy, so it may have been something you haven't thought of:
  • Right click on the desktop and hit refresh OR
  • Restart the explorer.exe process

Edit: I noticed you've overclocked your CPU/GPU. You may want to see if they're still stable as well (if this problem has only recently started). I only say that since I had a weird problem I couldn't figure out on a much less aggressive overclock than you. The original neverwinter nights kept crashing but everything else was fine. I ran IntelBurnTest on a hunch and lo' and behold, my overclock was unstable.
Ryhadar
Gerbil XP
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:19 am

Are you sure it's not related to your custom skin?
Skrying
Gerbil Jedi

Return to Windows