What unusual things do you do to your Windows install?

Monopoly money comes in many flavors: 7, Vista, XP, 2K, ME, 98, etc.

Moderators: Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

Re: What unusual things do you do to your Windows install?

Postposted on Fri May 06, 2011 6:35 am

Ryu Connor wrote:
mikeymike wrote:Everything on my systray is what I want to see.

The Taskbar Notification Area is not, nor has it ever been, the Systray.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/oldnewthing/arc ... 54831.aspx

That's pretty funny! Just goes to show how things like that can take on a life of their own.

At the end of the day, what matters is when people talk about the "systray", we all know what they mean.
(this space intentionally left blank)
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 37952
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 10:51 pm
Location: Somewhere, having a beer

Re: What unusual things do you do to your Windows install?

Postposted on Fri May 06, 2011 9:16 am

When installing windows I uninstall the windows games straight away.
Who actually plays solitaire any more anyhow?
MaxTheLimit
Gerbil Jedi
 
Posts: 1809
Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:00 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: What unusual things do you do to your Windows install?

Postposted on Fri May 06, 2011 9:19 am

MaxTheLimit wrote:When installing windows I uninstall the windows games straight away.
Who actually plays solitaire any more anyhow?


I like the fireworks display on Vista/7 :P
mikeymike
Gerbil Elite
 
Posts: 635
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:09 am

Re: What unusual things do you do to your Windows install?

Postposted on Fri May 06, 2011 3:36 pm

just brew it! wrote:That's pretty funny! Just goes to show how things like that can take on a life of their own.

At the end of the day, what matters is when people talk about the "systray", we all know what they mean.


Aye, it's a fun fact. It also apparently still matters a great deal to Chen and his team. As the actual text in the OS now pushes back against this misnomer as well.

Image
"Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends. We're so glad you could attend. Come inside! Come inside!"
Ryu Connor
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 3578
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2001 7:00 pm
Location: Marietta, GA

Re: What unusual things do you do to your Windows install?

Postposted on Fri May 06, 2011 4:03 pm

I completely disable UAC.
JdL
286DX > Pentium Pro 200 > Athlon 1000 @ 1.4 GHz > Athlon 64 2.2 GHz > Athlon XP 3200+ > Core 2 Duo 3300 @ 4.0 GHz > Core 2 Quad 6600 G0 @ 3.2 > Core i7 3770 @ stock
JdL
Graphmaster Gerbil
 
Posts: 1020
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2002 11:45 am
Location: United States of America

Re: What unusual things do you do to your Windows install?

Postposted on Fri May 06, 2011 5:20 pm

JdL wrote:I completely disable UAC.


Link
"Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends. We're so glad you could attend. Come inside! Come inside!"
Ryu Connor
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 3578
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2001 7:00 pm
Location: Marietta, GA

Re: What unusual things do you do to your Windows install?

Postposted on Fri May 06, 2011 5:55 pm

I don't understand why anyone would disable Superfetch. Owning an SSD is not an excuse. RAM is faster than an SSD. I don't want my RAM sitting idle - if I did that - what's the point of having it?

The only somewhat odd thing I do is move my swap and temporary locations over to my striped scratch array of old(ish) 250 GB Hitachi drives. I know putting the page file on my SSD array would be faster...but I can't remember the last time I actually ran into swap and it tends to speed things up to have temporary files extract there (instead of making copies on my OS array).

I guess the other "weird" thing I do is set my HDDs to never spin down. I don't see the point in power/temperature cycling them for no reason.
Z68XP-UD4 | 2700K @ 4.7 GHz | 16 GB | GTX 780 | PCP&C Silencer 950 | XSPC RX360 | Heatkiller R3 / X3 | D5 + RP-452X2 | HAF 932 | 480 GB Extreme Pro
Waco
Gerbil Elite
 
Posts: 794
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:14 pm

Re: What unusual things do you do to your Windows install?

Postposted on Fri May 06, 2011 7:32 pm

TheWacoKid wrote:I don't understand why anyone would disable Superfetch. Owning an SSD is not an excuse. RAM is faster than an SSD. I don't want my RAM sitting idle - if I did that - what's the point of having it?

The only somewhat odd thing I do is move my swap and temporary locations over to my striped scratch array of old(ish) 250 GB Hitachi drives. I know putting the page file on my SSD array would be faster...but I can't remember the last time I actually ran into swap and it tends to speed things up to have temporary files extract there (instead of making copies on my OS array).

I guess the other "weird" thing I do is set my HDDs to never spin down. I don't see the point in power/temperature cycling them for no reason.


Support and Q&A for Solid-State Drives

How to configure paging files for optimization and recovery
"Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends. We're so glad you could attend. Come inside! Come inside!"
Ryu Connor
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 3578
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2001 7:00 pm
Location: Marietta, GA

Previous

Return to Windows

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 1 guest