Windows 7 poor search performance

Monopoly money comes in many flavors: 7, Vista, XP, 2K, ME, 98, etc.

Moderators: Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

Windows 7 poor search performance

Postposted on Thu May 05, 2011 7:34 pm

A file server hosts a folder which contains thousands of .DOC, .PDF, .JPG, .TIFF and .RTF files. The files are opened across the network via .NET application which basically finds a local default image viewing program (MS Picture Manager, Fax Viewer, etc.) and opens the file(s).

All but one computer are very slow to display the selected image, what happens is once an image link is double-clicked it opens the default app then prompts "loading...." for nearly a minute then finally it displays the image. If an image is local it opens fast. There is one computer which opens them fast across the network.

-Network performance is tested and sufficient.
-Other files such as .DOC and .PDF open fast, but I am not 100 % certain.
-Hardware is sufficient with at least 3GB of RAM and Dual Core CPU.
-Indexing and Folder options checked and are the same as on the computer which is fast.
-Computer which is fast also loads all documents in the folder fast when it is open across the network. Search performance is fast as well.
-Computers which are slow also load all documents in the folder slow when it is open across the network. Search performance is slow as well.
-All computers are Windows 7.

Any helpful feed is appreciated.
Core i7 960 3.2GHz | 12GB RAM | 1.5TB HD | Asus GTX Titan | Dell WFP 3008 30" 2560x1600 | Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit
michael_d
Gerbil Elite

Re: Windows 7 poor search performance

Postposted on Thu May 05, 2011 7:45 pm

From your description this doesn't sound like it has anything to do with indexing -- if you've already double-clicked on the file, you've already found it and thus indexing has already done its job.

By what means are you determining what local application to launch (registry keys?), and how are you passing it the file (UNC path?)
UberGerbil
Gerbil Khan

Postposted on Thu May 05, 2011 7:54 pm

UberGerbil wrote:From your description this doesn't sound like it has anything to do with indexing -- if you've already double-clicked on the file, you've already found it and thus indexing has already done its job.

By what means are you determining what local application to launch (registry keys?), and how are you passing it the file (UNC path?)

I am not sure how it finds the default app but I can check with the programmer I would assume he uses command line to launch the app and pass parameters to it. Database has a referring record to each document and there is a local configuration file (.INI) which has destination path to the host folder it can use either mapped network drive or UNC path.
Core i7 960 3.2GHz | 12GB RAM | 1.5TB HD | Asus GTX Titan | Dell WFP 3008 30" 2560x1600 | Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit
michael_d
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Fri May 06, 2011 8:06 pm

I found the cause of the problem it has something to do with the windows profile on domain network (Windows 2008 Server with Windows 7 workstations) - permissions/privileges-related issue. Once I logged in as a user with full access rights, performance normalized.
michael_d
Gerbil Elite

Return to Windows