Windows 8 preview

Monopoly money comes in many flavors: 7, Vista, XP, 2K, ME, 98, etc.

Moderators: Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

Re: Windows 8 preview

Postposted on Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:08 pm

Pricing on the iPad in comparison to its competition has been highly competitive. I just don't see how you can argue that. Going to materials cost neglects major parts of the picture and it comes with a complete lack of knowledge on how margins as a whole are for that segment. They appear in line with the competition. People are buying tons of them. I just don't see how you can argue with that price from any logic. From every standpoint of pricing it makes perfect sense.

Microsoft screwed up by showing this with no details. Microsoft's biggest problem is one of perception. People are not excited about changes because Microsoft has a pretty poor history of under delivering. A significant part of being a major corporation is managing customer perception.

Personally I am just going to sit back and wait. I've played a bit with WP7 and I think they've done an outstanding job of designing a new and unique interface. Will that translate to larger devices? Seriously doubt it, but I'll reserve my spite until I have real details.
Skrying
Gerbil Jedi

Postposted on Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:19 pm

End User wrote:
cphite wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:Apple certainly did invent the first tablet that people, you know, actually wanted.

No, they just invented the first tablet that was heavily marketed. There have been tablets running Windows for years, and they've actually done fairly well considering how little they were pushed. The iPad itself isn't anything to get excited about; as with their other products, you're paying a little bit more to get a little bit less. They're just the first company to really put marketing muscle behind one.

Marketing is just one of a number of factors that has led to the success of the iPad. To suggest that marketing is the only reason behind the success of the iPad is just plain wrong.

It is universally known that the pricing of the iPad is very aggressive.

Nobody is suggesting that marketing is the only reason for the success of the iPad. But the fact remains, it is the first tablet that was heavily marketed by anyone, and that certainly has had an influence on it's sales. Based on all of the reviews I have seen, there isn't anything special about the hardware or software that makes it better than the other options available.

As for the "aggressive" pricing, there are other tablets available that offer similar performance for around the same price range.

So in other words, it's mainly marketing. Don't get me wrong, I don't begrudge them their success one bit - they're doing a fine job. Of marketing.
cphite
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:20 pm

cphite wrote:Nobody is suggesting that marketing is the only reason for the success of the iPad.

cphite wrote:So in other words, it's mainly marketing. Don't get me wrong, I don't begrudge them their success one bit - they're doing a fine job. Of marketing.

LOL

The number one reason the iPad is a runaway sales success is that it is a kick ass product.
i7-3770K@4.7 | H100 | P8Z77-V PREMIUM | 16GB | 2 GTX 770 4GB SLI | M500 960GB | EVO 840 250GB | AX850 | Obsidian 550D | R.A.T. 9 | U2713H | U2711
End User
Gerbil Elite
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:49 pm

End User wrote:LOL

The number one reason the iPad is a runaway sales success is that it is a kick ass product.

Exactly. Apple products succeed because they do EXACTLY what Apple says they will do. It does it well, and it does it pretty easily. These Android tablets (I've owned 3 different Android Tablets and an iPad 1) say they'll do all of this stuff but "maybe in 3.1 it will do this" or "heres a microSD port... its not turned on yet though, soon!" or "Heres a full USB port... but the OS has no USB host capabilities... yet". Apple would never release a product that didn't do everything they said it would do. Thats not to say they won't add capabilities down the line, but Apple sells you a product you can use to its fullest extent TODAY, not what MAY come later down the line.
Having twins has dramatically reduced the time I have to nerd out.
Corrado
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Postposted on Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:51 pm

OSes are going to look a lot different in five years than they do today and the change is already happening. Computers used to be great because of their customizability and versatility. The OS was the way you could get into the guts of the system and make it do what you wanted. DOS used the command line, but each successive Windows GUI (and OSX and Linux) has made it easier and more intuitive to customize the computer.

iOS changed everything. Apple (and cell carriers) locked iOS down to give the user a linear computing experience and the idea hit the market with great success. It turns out that most people don't want to think about their computers or put any effort into using them, rather they just want to push a button and have something happen. There are very few user controls in iOS. It's simple, intuitive, and gets the job done.

Modern operating systems are going to look a lot like iOS. Ease of use will be paramount and all of the gritty controls will be completely hidden. I assume there will still be a way to get at the guts of the OS, but modern OS makers might charge extra for that feature.
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III
FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Previous

Return to Windows