Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

skialex25
Gerbil
Topic Author

Registry Cleaner, etc...

Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:58 pm

Ever since I installed Linux on my laptop, I've been in love with it. Alas however, the world still runs on Windows and so does my primary PC. I've been looking however for a good registry/PC cleaner (preferebly a free download but I understand that that's not always possible) to help fix all the little problems that are starting to slow down my computer. I do regularly clean/maintain it, but I've been without a registry cleaner for some time, and I know far too little to mess around with that. Whay say you, mighty gerbils?

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: Registry Cleaner, etc...

Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:07 pm

Registry cleaners are over-hyped IMO.

Unless you're in the habit of installing loads of crapware, all you should really need to do is uninstall anything you no longer need via the normal Add/Remove Programs control panel, and (maybe) run a disk defrag. As long as stuff ain't getting launched during startup or login, having a few old registry entries hanging around here and there is harmless.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Gooseman
Gerbil In Training

Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:27 pm

CCleaner, by Piriform, is a great free temp file wiper and registry cleaner. Very simple small and does it's job great.

I agree registry cleaning is a little overhyped, but it is nice to clear out all the old reg entries if you install/uninstall a lot a of stuff.

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:43 pm

As long as an application is uninstalled and no residual pieces of it (i.e. background services) are still being launched, allowing its entries to remain in the registry consumes on the order of 0.000001% of the disk space of a typical modern PC, and has an impact on system performance that is too small to be measured, let alone noticed.

I suppose if you're the type of person who alphabetizes the contents of your fridge and labels all the leftovers with a "best by" date, cleaning those unused registry entries out might help you sleep easier at night. But if you think registry cleaners are good value for the money, I've got some swampland to sell you...

Edit: Wiping out temp files, OTOH, is potentially useful. They really can get out of hand...

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:02 am

The registry is demand-paged. Unless something is actually using a set of registry entries, they won't take up any memory. They will take up disk space, but if you're at the point of worrying about that in the era of 2+TB HDs, something is wrong. Even with <128GB SSDs, you're only talking about handful of bytes in most cases. I guess some people obsess over keeping every little smug off their running shoes too, but the rest of us just can't be bothered.

Of course if you're the kind of person who can't resist installing (and uninstalling) every piece of crapware you run across, it might make sense. But then you're probably also going to be the kind of person who re-installs Windows every month or two, and that will take care of the "problem" as well.

Buub
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:06 am

I'm with JBI and UberGerbil on this. Your registry doesn't need to be cleaned. Unless you have a load of crapware/spyware/viruses, your registry is working just fine the way it is.

ShadowEyez
Gerbil XP

Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:19 am

I agree with people here, registry cleaners are by and large a waste of time.

Make sure nothing strange is in startup (via msconfig or accessories -> system tools) and make sure you don't have any unneeded services (via mmc) starting up. This should keep you in mostly good shape on a win7 machine.
The finest tools are forged from the hottest fires

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:23 am

ShadowEyez wrote:
I agree with people here, registry cleaners are by and large a waste of time.

Make sure nothing strange is in startup (via msconfig or accessories -> system tools) and make sure you don't have any unneeded services (via mmc) starting up. This should keep you in mostly good shape on a win7 machine.

...or even on a WinXP machine!

Jigar
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:57 am

While i agree with the above comments, i personally use Tuneup utilities that does monthly maintenance like auto defraging HDD or registry etc... Google for more details.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:34 am

Jigar wrote:
auto defraging HDD

Still using XP?
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

Jigar
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:50 am

Flying Fox wrote:
Jigar wrote:
auto defraging HDD

Still using XP?

Nope, and i know Window7 does that, but auto defraging the registry, Turbo mode and on the fly process priority handling is what i like most about Tune up utility.

yehuda
Gerbil

Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:00 am

Since you mentioned TuneUp Utilities, if the OP is interested he can get a free license for the 2010 version through this link. I haven't used the program myself but people seem pleased with it.

skialex25
Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:36 am

Thanks for the input. No I'm not the kind of guy that alphabetizes his fridge, nor do I install every piece of crap that pops up online. I've been around long enough to know better... and besides what's the point. My comp has just been slowing down lately (mainly from lack of maintenance and cleaning), and I had nothing better to do. I've heard about reg cleaners before and was just curious. Thanks again.

mmp121
Gerbil

Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:40 pm

Might wanna download and install the Freeware version of REVO (its an uninstaller) that runs the associated built-in un-installer that an app comes with, and once that is done, it scans the registry and startup for things the un-installer may have missed.

I found the full-blown version better (in terms of speed) and basic UI. I usually install that and abuse its 30-day trial period fully before reverting to the free-ware version on PC's that I admin.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:26 pm

skialex25 wrote:
Thanks for the input. No I'm not the kind of guy that alphabetizes his fridge, nor do I install every piece of crap that pops up online. I've been around long enough to know better... and besides what's the point. My comp has just been slowing down lately (mainly from lack of maintenance and cleaning), and I had nothing better to do. I've heard about reg cleaners before and was just curious. Thanks again.

Are you using XP still? My experience with Win7 is that if you don't install stuff it should not slow down because you don't really need a lot of maintenance and cleaning. Even my XP install was stable and can stay up for weeks (Patch Tuesday's aside). Are you sure you are not installing and doing other system-touching stuff?

skialex25
Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:54 pm

I am using Win7. And no, I don't do any random installing. I should also stress that I'm not talking about a huge drop in speed, it's actually quite small... just enough to be noticeable. Since I've started actually doing some cleaning though, things have gotten better. As I mentioned in my initial post, I've been quite negligent in this regard for way too long. Anyway, thanks again.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:54 am

I wonder how much of that is placebo. Sure, when my Firefox session has visited hundreds of sites with multiple flash applets running, plus a ton of tabs, it is slower. However it is more of the App than the OS?

Not saying that I don't trust you, but I wonder how significant this really is. In a steady state there should not be a lot of writes to the registry that requires a cleaner?

Buub
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:35 pm

Flying Fox wrote:
I wonder how much of that is placebo. Sure, when my Firefox session has visited hundreds of sites with multiple flash applets running, plus a ton of tabs, it is slower. However it is more of the App than the OS?

Not saying that I don't trust you, but I wonder how significant this really is. In a steady state there should not be a lot of writes to the registry that requires a cleaner?

I agree. At least specifically relating to the registry, if a program isn't accessing the information, it isn't slowing things down. In other words, the registry is basically a database. It can hold a large amount of stuff. But that stuff just sits there unless accessed. It doesn't slow down programs that aren't accessing it.

Same with programs on your hard drive that aren't being run. They aren't being run, so by definition, they can't slow your system down.

On the other hand, there are applications that can install background processes, and those do have the potential to slow your computer down.

Walkintarget
Gerbil Team Leader

Fri May 04, 2012 7:05 am

^^ First post and you proclaim that a paid product (that you so conveniently linked in your sig) is working great for you ... ?

Hmmm, smells suspiciously like a canned meat byproduct. Count me in to the majority who think that a registry cleaner isn't a worthwhile endeavor compared to a fresh OS wipe and install, but nobody does that these days anyhow.
AMD Ryzen R5 2600x, Asus Prime x470 Pro, Sapphire Nitro Fury 4GB, HP EX920 512GB NVMe SSD, 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro, 4TB WD Red HDD, Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Ed, Win 10 Pro

Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri May 04, 2012 7:20 am

FYI, I'm a Windows system administrator for the DOD. Registry cleaners are pointless, and 9 times out of 10 do more damage than good. Just uninstall software that you don't use, and you should be good to go. If your computer is slowing down, however noticeable, I can guarantee you that your registry is not at fault.

Also, as a good security practice, make sure that the account that you use isn't an administrator account. Enable the built-in administrator account, set a password, then take your account out of the "Administrators" group leaving it only in the "Users" group. That way you won't have something download and install in the background without you knowing, especially if you have your UAC settings turned down or off. If you do want or need to install something, just provide the Administrator's credentials at the prompt.
Heavy is good, heavy is reliable. If it doesn't work, you can always hit them with it.

cphite
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri May 04, 2012 9:00 am

skialex25 wrote:
Ever since I installed Linux on my laptop, I've been in love with it. Alas however, the world still runs on Windows and so does my primary PC. I've been looking however for a good registry/PC cleaner (preferebly a free download but I understand that that's not always possible) to help fix all the little problems that are starting to slow down my computer. I do regularly clean/maintain it, but I've been without a registry cleaner for some time, and I know far too little to mess around with that. Whay say you, mighty gerbils?

Don't bother.

Registry cleaners are a waste of time. As others have said, unless you're installing a ton of junk from the internet, it's just not an issue. The amount of disk space you're saving is negligible. The entries you'd be cleaning don't impact performance - they're just sitting there. The risk of a registry cleaner removing the wrong thing and really screwing up your system far outweights any benefit to using one.

If your computer is slowing down, it's most likely because more things are running on it. Check your startup list, and check what's running in the background.

integer
Gerbil Team Leader

Fri May 04, 2012 10:34 am

Newegg is currently offering TuneUp free with Windows 7 Home Premium (OEM). Are any features of this software useful?

TuneUp features from Newegg wrote:
Boost your Internet speed
Fine tune your PC's Internet settings to maximize your speed online.
Internet Optimizer

Eliminate freezing and crashing
Fix cluttered and corrupted registries that consume memory, slow applications down, and cause overall stability problems.
Registry Cleaner

Optimize disk speeds
Optimize your file system to get the most out of your hard drive, ensuring faster disk speeds and improved PC performance.
Disk Defragmenter
Windows Registry Defragmenter

Protect your privacy
Remove all records of your online and offline PC activities to preserve your privacy.
Track Eraser

Recover accidentally deleted files
Recover important files that have been damaged or accidentally deleted.
File Recovery

Permanently delete files and wipe disks
Prevent your personal data from getting into the wrong hands by permanently deleting files and ensuring they can't be restored or accessed without your permission.
File Shredder
Disk Wiper

Monitor hard drive health and space
Keep your data organized and safe from accidental loss or hard drive failure.
Disk Doctor
(My build, thanks to TR) i5-3570k | P8Z77-V | DDR3 1600 (4x4 GB) | 7950 | 850 EVO 500 GB | m4 128 GB | Blue SE16 500 GB | Green SE16 1 TB | Xonar DG | M12II 520 W | 550D | LP2475W | Blu-Ray | Shine Zero | MX310 | Windows 10 Home

Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri May 04, 2012 10:44 am

Internet Optimizer
How does it maximize your speed? You either have a connection, or you don't. Snake oil, plain and simple.

Fix cluttered and corrupted registries that consume memory, slow applications down, and cause overall stability problems.
Registry Cleaner
How does a third party program know what registry entries on your computer are valid or not?

Optimize disk speeds
Optimize your file system to get the most out of your hard drive, ensuring faster disk speeds and improved PC performance.
Disk Defragmenter
Windows 7 has a pretty good defragmenter built-in.

Protect your privacy
Remove all records of your online and offline PC activities to preserve your privacy.
Track Eraser
So...this deletes cookies and temporary files? Both of which you can delete yourself without the need of third-party software.

File Recovery
Again, this functionality is built into Windows 7. Backups people....learn to use them.

Prevent your personal data from getting into the wrong hands by permanently deleting files and ensuring they can't be restored or accessed without your permission.
File Shredder
Disk Wiper
Snake oil strikes again.

Disk Doctor
S.M.A.R.T.?
Heavy is good, heavy is reliable. If it doesn't work, you can always hit them with it.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Fri May 04, 2012 11:02 am

Not disagreeing, but...

Dizik wrote:
Internet Optimizer
How does it maximize your speed? You either have a connection, or you don't. Snake oil, plain and simple.
Probably the good old MTU trick, plus TCP/IP settings refresh (I remember there's like a netsh command that does that).

Dizik wrote:
Registry Cleaner
How does a third party program know what registry entries on your computer are valid or not?
For one, COM objects that refer to non-existent files (most likely due to unclean install). But again, the performance impact there is the extra few bytes of loading the registration data from disk and memory. If the COM objects are not initialized the entries will not be accessed. So very minimal.

Dizik wrote:
Optimize disk speeds
Disk Defragmenter
Windows 7 has a pretty good defragmenter built-in.
They probably call the defrag API themselves.

Dizik wrote:
Protect your privacy
Track Eraser
So...this deletes cookies and temporary files? Both of which you can delete yourself without the need of third-party software.
Not everyone knows where the settings are, so one centralized app may be of some (however small) value to people. There may be other temp file locations that the app hits as well.

Dizik wrote:
File Recovery
Again, this functionality is built into Windows 7. Backups people....learn to use them.
Not sure how they deal with files that got emptied out of recycle bin. May be they are tapping into the Shadow Copy (Previous versions) feature of Windows. To recover deleted files using that from Windows alone is a bit clunky (since the deleted file is not readily showing up in Explorer).

Dizik wrote:
File Shredder
Disk Wiper
Snake oil strikes again.
Try sdelete, and there are other tools.

Dizik wrote:
Disk Doctor
S.M.A.R.T.?
Need an app to read the SMART data anyways.