System reserved

Monopoly money comes in many flavors: 7, Vista, XP, 2K, ME, 98, etc.

Moderators: Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

System reserved

Postposted on Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:53 am

When I reinstalled W7, I let the installer delete the existing 100GB partition and recreate a new primary partition, then a 100MB primary partition called "System reserved", and a 99.9GB primary partition were created. I installed W7 on the 99.9GB partition and everything looked OK. I used in the past W7's built-in utility or third party disk utilities, no such extra partition was automatically created and have not seen any problem. I wonder in what circumstance(s) that extra 100MB partition is required.
churin
Gerbil XP
 
Posts: 435
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:38 pm
Location: Atlanta/U.S.A.

Re: System reserved

Postposted on Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:07 pm

Bitlocker and bootable GPT disks.
"Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends. We're so glad you could attend. Come inside! Come inside!"
Ryu Connor
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 3561
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2001 7:00 pm
Location: Marietta, GA

Re: System reserved

Postposted on Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:18 pm

Ryu Connor wrote:Bitlocker and bootable GPT disks.

How the above relates to my question?
churin
Gerbil XP
 
Posts: 435
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:38 pm
Location: Atlanta/U.S.A.

Re: System reserved

Postposted on Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:21 pm

That's what the 100MB is used for. Also, it's used for the recovery manager if I remember right.
Gigabyte Z77-DS3H | Core i7 3770 | 2x8 GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3-1600| Samsung 830 128GB SSD | Gigabyte HD7950 3GB | Win 7 Pro x86-64
CampinCarl
Graphmaster Gerbil
 
Posts: 1318
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 9:53 pm

Re: System reserved

Postposted on Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:37 pm

Here's some more info (and how to remove it, if you insist on dong so -- which would be a mistake, IMO).
UberGerbil
Gerbil Khan
 
Posts: 9993
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2003 3:11 pm

Re: System reserved

Postposted on Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:20 pm

CampinCarl wrote:That's what the 100MB is used for. Also, it's used for the recovery manager if I remember right.

I have been using BitLocker quite a while without such extra partition. I will not be using GPT any time soon.
churin
Gerbil XP
 
Posts: 435
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:38 pm
Location: Atlanta/U.S.A.

Re: System reserved

Postposted on Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:24 pm

It's more trouble than 100MB is worth to get rid of it. Best leave it alone.
Think for yourself, schmuck!
i5-2500K@4.3|Asus P8P67-LE|8GB DDR3-1600|Powercolor R7850 2G|1.5TB 7200.11|1988 Model M|Saitek X-45 & P880|Logitech MX 518|Dell 2209WA|Sennheiser PC151|Asus Xonar DX
bthylafh
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
 
Posts: 3189
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2003 11:55 pm
Location: Southwest Missouri, USA

Re: System reserved

Postposted on Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:39 pm

UberGerbil wrote:Here's some more info (and how to remove it, if you insist on dong so -- which would be a mistake, IMO).

Thanks for the info. I am going to get rid of it because it takes one of the four primary partitions being maximum allowed.
churin
Gerbil XP
 
Posts: 435
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:38 pm
Location: Atlanta/U.S.A.

Re: System reserved

Postposted on Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:56 pm

churin wrote:
UberGerbil wrote:Here's some more info (and how to remove it, if you insist on dong so -- which would be a mistake, IMO).

Thanks for the info. I am going to get rid of it because it takes one of the four primary partitions being maximum allowed.

We had a new HP laptop come in at the office recently. ALL FOUR primary partitions were already in use - System reserved, Win7, HP system recovery, and HP diagnostic tools. WTF? No primary partition left to install Linux on (we wanted to dual-boot it). We ended up nuking the HP diagnostics partition.
(this space intentionally left blank)
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 37845
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 10:51 pm
Location: Somewhere, having a beer

Re: System reserved

Postposted on Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:43 pm

just brew it! wrote:
churin wrote:
UberGerbil wrote:Here's some more info (and how to remove it, if you insist on dong so -- which would be a mistake, IMO).
Thanks for the info. I am going to get rid of it because it takes one of the four primary partitions being maximum allowed.
We had a new HP laptop come in at the office recently. ALL FOUR primary partitions were already in use - System reserved, Win7, HP system recovery, and HP diagnostic tools. WTF? No primary partition left to install Linux on (we wanted to dual-boot it). We ended up nuking the HP diagnostics partition.
You probably could do away with the HP system recovery partition as well, since the native Win7 stuff is likely to work better (though there may be a contractual support reason to hang onto it if you need to do a complete reinstall and don't have a volume license for Windows).

HP's software arm has been completely off the rails for some time now. Between redundant crap like this and 1GB printer "drivers" the less HP software on your system the better it is likely to run.
UberGerbil
Gerbil Khan
 
Posts: 9993
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2003 3:11 pm

Re: System reserved

Postposted on Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:01 am

churin wrote:
CampinCarl wrote:That's what the 100MB is used for. Also, it's used for the recovery manager if I remember right.

I have been using BitLocker quite a while without such extra partition. I will not be using GPT any time soon.


Bitlocker only requires it for the bootdisk.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc766295(WS.10).aspx#BKMK_S1

It's a chicken and egg aspect. The OS loader is a very simple bootstrap process and doesn't know how to decrypt the files.
"Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends. We're so glad you could attend. Come inside! Come inside!"
Ryu Connor
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 3561
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2001 7:00 pm
Location: Marietta, GA

Re: System reserved

Postposted on Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:39 am

Ryu Connor wrote:
churin wrote:
CampinCarl wrote:That's what the 100MB is used for. Also, it's used for the recovery manager if I remember right.

I have been using BitLocker quite a while without such extra partition. I will not be using GPT any time soon.


Bitlocker only requires it for the bootdisk.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc766295(WS.10).aspx#BKMK_S1

It's a chicken and egg aspect. The OS loader is a very simple bootstrap process and doesn't know how to decrypt the files.

Thanks for the info. I have been using Bitlocker to encrypt USB memories only and never thought of encrypting os boot drive.
churin
Gerbil XP
 
Posts: 435
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:38 pm
Location: Atlanta/U.S.A.


Return to Windows

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests