Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

2centz
Gerbil
Topic Author

Hunh? Boot device error

Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:33 pm

Just to provide some background, I built my computer about 9 months ago, and maybe 4 - 5 months ago, my computer to shut off and then throw up the following error:

"Reboot and Select Proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key."

It seems to be happening more frequently now unfortunately. :o I seem to notice this error when my computer is not running any programs or is not under load.

I tried repairing the Windows 7 installation, but this hasn't made the problem go away, even after applying all the patches.

Can someone tell me if this is a software or hardware issue? Recommendations on how to fix would also be appreciated!

Hardware

Motherboard - Asus Sabertooth 990FX
Graphics card - XFX HD6950
Memory - G Skill Sniper 16 GB
CPU - AMD Phenom II X6 1090T (OC to 4 Ghz)
PSU - Seasonic 750W
Sound card - Asus Xonar D1
SSD - OWC Mercury Extreme Pro 6G 240 GB
HD - 2x SAMSUNG HD204UI (2 TB)

OS

Windows 7 Professional 64 bit
-Kevin

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Re: Hunh? Boot device error

Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:39 pm

I take it the OS is on the SSD? Do you have the latest firmware installed in the SSD?

As background: it sounds like periodically the boot volume goes missing. In the past that would mean testing / replacing hardware in the storage chain -- SATA cable, drive, motherboard controllers (switching controllers if your motherboard has more than one). But in the new era of SSD teething pains, updating the firmware is the place to start.

2centz
Gerbil
Topic Author

Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:10 pm

Thanks for the advice UberGerbil. To confirm, the OS is on the SSD. Looks like I am a firmware version or 2 behind for the SSD. Hopefully this resolves the issue, because I would hate to have to start trouble-shooting my hardware devices.

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:57 pm

Well, it wouldn't hurt to stick your head in there and just make sure all the SATA and power connections are firmly in place.

2centz
Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:43 pm

Well, tried to update the firmware, but got an error. :evil: I wonder if I can update the firmware on the SSD on another computer, even though this is a boot drive. Does anyone see an issue with this?

td1353l
Gerbil

Mon May 14, 2012 9:23 pm

you may have luck reloading your boot manager, use a install cd or recovery cd to get access to a command prompt. type fixmbr usually fixes my no boot/missing boot rec issues. im on a ssd too.

source : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392