Windows 8 and the PC future

Monopoly money comes in many flavors: 7, Vista, XP, 2K, ME, 98, etc.

Moderators: Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

Windows 8 and the PC future

Postposted on Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:05 am

I was just reading this article about Windows 8. What is your opinion once you have read it?
Laptop: HP Pavilion 17-e016dx. AMD A8-5550M, 4GB RAM, 750GB HDD, AMD Radeon HD 8550G integrated video, 17.3" display, 1600*900 (HD+) resolution, SD card reader, Windows 8.1 (DL Classic Shell)
riviera74
Gerbil Elite

Re: Windows 8 and the PC future

Postposted on Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:27 am

I think what will eventually happen is that windows 9 will be based on windows 7 and windows 8 will change to windows-tablet, or something like that. Eventually windows8 will be the catalyst for long over-due firing of balmer and general house cleaning of trenched-in micro-soft management and perhapos even break-up of microsoft.
Anarchist
Gerbil

Postposted on Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:32 am

An optimistic outlook - but one I hope is on target.

My experience with the RC of W8 was awful for the desktop. In less than 24 hours - it proved so unfriendly and different I took it down quickly and lost interest. Too much of regualr use and interest to me was buried.
ordskiweicz
Gerbil Team Leader
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:04 pm

You can read my experiences here - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=81951

I might like a transformer tablet with Win8, but given the price point's they'll start at, this is out of the question. And for desktop, the harm to productivity is too big to offset the smoothness, speed and some visual niceties of the Win8.

IMHO, it's like honey with cockroaches, probably edible, probably crispy, has some sweet parts, some people might enjoy it, but definitely not for me, unless desktop experience is fixed.

And I'm really trying to like Win8, I can even name some things that I'm missing after using it for some time, but I need system for work. So Win9 or go home.

Luckily I have migrated to Linux mostly, and Win7 is only used as a backup for software that doesn't work on Linux. Creative Linux drivers with EAX and equalizers, Canon and Sony software for photo/video, more gaming support, thankfully Steam is starting to do something about that, and Mint will replace the Win7 completely.

Therefore - HTC Android phone, Linux laptop/PC, and MAYBE, Android tablet for cheap, and I'm all set.
Core 2 Duo E6300, MSI P45 NEO-F, Club 3D GTX 260, 4Gb DDR2-800Mhz, Audigy X-Fi Fatal1ty Champ1on ed., 0.5Tb+1Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.12, 630W AXP, Samsung SyncMaster BX2450, ViewSonic VP171b
Madman
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Postposted on Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:26 pm

Wow...that is a long article. I read a few pages worth of text before I realized I wasn't even halfway >.< (so I will have to pick it back up later).

But the thing that seems missing from all of this change is a basically a "do everything" button, which Microsoft already has integrated in every keyboard for Windows. Really, they aren't making more use of this? Anything can be made intuitive with it. Need to get to start screen? Press the Windows Key. Need to open up systems controls? Press the Windows Key at the Start Screen to open a screen full of controls formerly used on the Start Menu. End. You could make everything more intuitive with one button (and if you don't believe me, try a touch screen smartphone).

It could sometimes get annoying, but for starting out with Metro, it would be a way to accommodate a lot of change while giving users a safety button. One, I might add, is going to be on the same tablets Microsoft wants to market.
Save yourself the trouble and don't ask why the TV remote is in the refrigerator.
superjawes
Gerbil Elite
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:29 am

Well I agree with his conclusions, and I am leaning to his people stay with windows 7 an refuse to upgrade to win 8. MS really doesn't have a choice now, they have been watching failed effort after effort to get them into mobile territory...they had to do something to try and compete where they see the new frontier to be. unfortunately I think they went to far in their changes, pushing everyone into metro touch screen interface...even their enterprise customers, wont go over well.

People do not really like massive changes like this and they should have eased them into it over 2 OS systems rather then throwing everyone in the freezing cold lake and shocking them. The cards have been dealt now, guess we will see if MS manages to make themselves a winning hand out of this.
Abit BP6 2X 300A@450 mhz, 1.5 GB PC133 ECC, Renditon Verite V2200, SB AWE32, Adaptec 2940U2W, 4.3GB Quantum Atlas 10K, Plextor Ultraplex
Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Postposted on Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:12 pm

Starfalcon wrote:they had to do something to try and compete where they see the new frontier to be.

Ironically, if they would have left real desktop, and metro side by side, as un-ruined environments, I would say Windows 8 would be the best windows ever.
And I would just buy a transformer so that I could switch to metro and watch movies on couch with touch screen stuff. And I would still have real un-ruined desktop when I have to work. On transformer, I would even love to watch news in the new metro format.
With such layout Win8 would be perfect minus the stupid ribbon, but even that can be minimized and the new compact explorer + context menus are the win.

But as it stands now, it's a total disaster if you ask me. Just one step to an epic failure... Removed start menu and stupid charms :roll:
Core 2 Duo E6300, MSI P45 NEO-F, Club 3D GTX 260, 4Gb DDR2-800Mhz, Audigy X-Fi Fatal1ty Champ1on ed., 0.5Tb+1Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.12, 630W AXP, Samsung SyncMaster BX2450, ViewSonic VP171b
Madman
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Postposted on Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:04 am

i personally think it will have the exact same impact as 7 does now. i personally dont find metro crap, cuz i rarely look at the start menu anyway. and other than that, it pretty much looks and behaves like windows 7. i doubt it would make sense to upgrade to it unless you had a touch screen, or if in the future you get the Leap Motion(http://leapmotion.com/), at which point, win8 looks great.
td1353l
Gerbil

Return to Windows