Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

heater19
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

How to set up a VPN

Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:13 am

does anyone have instructions or a website on how to set up a VPN connection between a home computer running Win XP and a phone/tablet running android?

the info i'm finding is how to connect to an office network, which i don' t need.

thanks

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: How to set up a VPN

Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:45 pm

Are you sure a VPN is actually what you want? Can you describe what you're trying to do in a little more detail?
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

heater19
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:26 am

well, what i would like to do is to be able to browse the files on my home computer from anywhere over the internet through a secure connection;

there is a VPN option on my android phone, so i was thinking of using that to connect to my home computer;

i thought that a VPN would be appropriate for this, if I'm wrong let me know, and if so how would someone do it;

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:51 pm

A VPN will give you a secure remote network connection into your home network. So if your phone already has the ability to browse files on your home computer when it is connected to your home WiFi, yeah a VPN should let you do this remotely as well.

If all you want to do is browse files on a single PC a full-blown VPN may be overkill; some sort of remote desktop app might be a better solution.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

PenGun
Gerbil Elite

Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:11 pm

I just run a webserver on port 90. Works just fine and I have never been caught in 10 years. They seem to just scan for port 80.
Fuji X-E1 Leica Elmar 135 4 XF60mm 2.4 Macro | Zeiss FE 35mm 2.8
http://carnagepro.com
"Everything ... they eat everything, and fear is their bacon bits."