Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

churin
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

W8 Hyper-V Guest XP not accessible from host

Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:04 pm

I can access the host W8 from the guest XP but not from the host to the guest XP(SP3). I am getting a message "The user name or password is incorrect". I get the same message if I attempt to access the guest XP from any pc on the network. What could be wrong?

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Re: W8 Hyper-V Guest XP not accessible from host

Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:52 pm

Sorry, couldn't think of a better phrasing.

It's probably telling you login failure because you're not giving the right username or password. Actually, to be more accurate, it's likely because you're not specifying the domain of the credentials.

In XP, if you just gave login + pass, it assumed you were giving a login that applied to the machine being logged in to. In Vista/7/8, the assumption is that the credentials apply to the box logging in FROM, instead.

What does that mean?

You're assuming you're providing WINXP\User, with password "password". What the XP machine is seeing is WIN8\User, with password "password". The XP machine doesn't know that login and doesn't care to be helpful, thus the login fail.

Try specifying the machine name. Give it the Win XP VM's hostname, then slash username.

User: XPHOST\Username
Password: password
Please don't edit my signature for me. Thanks.

churin
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:46 am

Thanks for your reply.

What I am seeing in the dialog box is 1) user name field, 2) password field and 3) Domain: xyz.
xyz is the domain name as you explained or computer name of the machine hosting the XP.
If I enter my user name and password, my user name(xxx) appears to be interpreted as xyz\xxx because a new dialog box shows 1) xyz\xxx and 2) password field asking for correct password.
I tried entering xyz\xxx when entering the user name for the first time but to no avail.

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:16 am

Just checking, but there is something shared on the XP VM, to be accessing, correct? I only ask because I've gotten weird results when attempting to access an XP VM with zero exposed shares.

churin
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:10 pm

There is a drive shared on the VM XP. There is no problem accessing the VM host or any other PCs on the network from the VM XP, but not in reverse direction.
Last edited by churin on Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:43 pm

But nothing on the network can reach in, to the XP VM?

I ask because reaching out and reaching in are different mechanisms.

churin
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:18 pm

Any pcs including the host on the network can SEE the XP VM but can not log in to it to review what in the shared drive on the XP.

Edit: I found that password had not been created for the XP VM. Creating it resolved the problem.
Since Hyper-V was new to me I tended to think problem in this case was due to Hyper-V not properly setup.

Thanks everyone responded.