Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

credible
Gerbil XP

Re: Windows 8- Sell me on it

Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:00 am

Still sounds like a bunch of whining just for whining sakes as far as I'm concerned, just how much of your time does this take up, just wow, how so much of society has turned to complaining because something or other does not meet their expectation 100% just boggles my mind.

LostCat
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:33 am

Ryu Connor wrote:
Snap still exists on the 8 Desktop to allow 50/50.

The Start screen on the other hand is limited to 75/25 just like he says.

What part of Windows 8 demands you run WinRT apps? That's what I was asking. Personally, I like to run a WinRT app off to the side of the desktop.
Meow.

flip-mode
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:17 am

willyolio wrote:
the single thing that has completely put me off windows 8 is the fact that you can't split windows 50-50. or really any combination other than the preset 25/75. i still haven't figured out how to open 3 windows at once in any combination. googled around and it looks like 50/50 is just impossible. oh well.

having multiple windows open at once is the entire reason for using some kind of windowed operating system. the automatic 50/50 was the best feature of windows 7 that i actually use every single time my machine is booted.

seems like even the full desktop version of windows 8 is still made for tablets. it will quite honestly slow me down in my work.

I just tried it; it still works. Edit: oh, if you mean on the start screen then yeah, that seems odd.

flip-mode
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:15 pm

Holy cow, I didn't realize this, but I just found out that Server 2012 uses the "Modern" UI as well! For some reason I'm surprised, but the consistency makes sense.

dale77
Gerbil

Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:48 pm

Well, windows 8 seems much snappier than the vista OS on my older AMD HTPC.

Things seem to be working pretty well, early days but promising. Thumbs up!

BIF
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:19 pm

Win 8 RTM on my old Q6600 was very fast; significantly faster than any prior version of Windows on the same hardware.

And, not to fan the flames, but Vista was also a good performer on that same system... my non scientific perception was that Vista performance was actually better than XP. Any potential improvement in Windows 7 (over Vista) was less obvious to me in actual use.

Mind you, I'm referring to a clean install of Vista, not a preinstalled boxmaker's bloatware version!

But yeah, Windows 8 is blazingly fast, at least in my usage.