Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Re: Win8 OEM and "Certified Touch Hardware"

Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:17 pm

I bought one of the $40 upgrades and installed it using the USB drive I had made from my OEM ISO. So at least that's something. It seems you can get key after key from the upgrade process and do a clean install with them no problem. Now I wish I hadn't bought any OEM copies at all... What was that someone said about arrows in the back? Oh well...

Krynn72
Gerbil In Training

Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:44 pm

So you can do a full install with the Upgrade version, as long as you enter the key from the win8 system builder copy during install? I know you explained it, but I'm not sure I follow.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:47 pm

Krynn72 wrote:
So you can do a full install with the Upgrade version, as long as you enter the key from the win8 system builder copy during install? I know you explained it, but I'm not sure I follow.

It sounds like the Upgrade version, as long as the XP/Vista/7 install is valid, will run as many times as you might like, but generating a new key every time. Of course, I'm not there so if I'm wrong DrFish can correct ...
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:47 pm

Let me try again, generate as many $40 keys as you want from the upgrade download without actually upgrading, no proof of eligibility required after generating the keys. Download ISO from the upgrade process as intended OR use the OEM DVD/ISO and use the upgrade keys with that - it will work regardless. A nice change from previously where retail and OEM keys were not interchangeable.

I have not tried using the upgrade ISO with an OEM key - my guess is key dictates function and the source media doesn't matter.

Krynn72
Gerbil In Training

Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:54 pm

Cool. Thanks for explaining. I'm tempted to do that as well, but I'd hate to spend another $40 (or rather, give Microsoft another $40) and find out there's a registry tweak discovered in a couple weeks.

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:08 pm

Well my $40 went toward upgrading my HTPC, my OEM copies went toward my laptop and main rig. The W500 with the 3rd OEM copy is a work machine and I already put the sticker on it so I'm going to wait for a hack to use it there. :lol:

I do have 3 more copies of Win7/Vista that I can get legit $40 upgrades for though (about time that copy of Vista was good for something). :)

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:54 am

So I'm in advanced start-up options, got to where I am supposed to be able to hit "7" to disable driver signature enforcement (not even sure if that will work or not) but now of course my keyboard won't register so I can't make the selection. I'm good up until I restart at the "Startup Settings" screen - then I lose all the lights on my keyboard and I have no input device at all. The BIOS on this thing is so sparse I don't have any options to change legacy USB support or anything like that - I'm just stuck. :-?

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:25 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
Ryu Connor wrote:
We toast a beer to your brave adventure early adopter.

How do you tell the pioneers?

They're the ones with arrows in their backs.

Full version: "How can you tell pioneers from settlers?" "Pioneers have arrows in their backs."

I'll settle, thanks. Was vaguely considering bumping Win7 Ult to Win8 Pro on my main laptop. I'll hang back a little longer and watch the arrows fly.
Please don't edit my signature for me. Thanks.

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:41 am

FYI, I bought an upgrade key for $40 and following these directions installed it in place of the OEM key. A simple reboot and touch input works perfectly well. I'll just use my OEM key on another system. :-?

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:16 am

drfish wrote:
I'll just use my OEM key on another system. :-?

Ugh... So finally went to try this today, same OEM key that I couldn't use on the W500 because of the whole touch screen fiasco... Now I'm told I can't activate this copy of Windows on the new PC, I haven't talked to a person yet but even calling the automated number told me that my product was invalid...? :-? So what? This key is just burned up booting Windows once or twice on a machine I couldn't use it on because of some BS restriction that forced me to buy another copy anyway? I don't even remember activating it on the W500, oh that's right, it activates automatically so I never had a chance to save that key in the first place. :evil:

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:35 am

There's a reason that my Win8 keys lie in a virtual pile in the corner.

I'm sorry that you had to learn this lesson this way.

Linux MInt is really nice these days. I'm quite happy with it, and have told people it's a beta for Windows 9. They all got very excited while I gave them a dumbfounded look.
Please don't edit my signature for me. Thanks.

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:51 pm

It sucks because as an OS I think its just great but it just gets harder an harder to be a legit customer. :roll:

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator

Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:20 pm

A human being should get that sorted for you.

Windows 8 EULA allows the transfer of the license.
All of my written content here on TR does not represent or reflect the views of my employer or any reasonable human being. All content and actions are my own.

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:34 pm

I heard that too. I've also read a lot of confusion about it and no one reporting that they pulled it off. I'll mess with it again tomorrow and will probably start here. :-?