Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

boblink
Gerbil
Topic Author

W8 "Programs"

Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:32 am

Hi, I installed W8 yesterday and have been trying to find an easy way to access the PROGRAMS that are on my computer (which use to be on the START menu) and would appreciate your help on how to access and if possible, bookmark this link, for future reference?
Thank you,
Bob

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator

Re: W8 "Programs"

Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:42 am

They should now be on the Start Screen (hit the Windows key on your keyboard).

If that's not it or not what you want you'll need to clarify exactly what you're after.
All of my written content here on TR does not represent or reflect the views of my employer or any reasonable human being. All content and actions are my own.

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:47 am

WinKey+R start typing name of program
In other words, exactly the same way you could invoke them in W7. This doesn't work for everybody, but this works for me because I could never be bothered to organize the Start menu and so when I tried using it I was always hunting through sub-folders; since my hands were usually already on the keyboard to begin with the search method was faster.

Also, you can pin frequently-used programs to the task bar exactly like you could in Win7 (which was the other reason I could never remember my Start menu layout: 80%+ of the programs I used everyday were already pinned -- or still running from where I left them the day before -- meaning I didn't touch the Start menu at all).

If you really want a Start menu replacement, there's a couple out there and a thread about them already. (Here's another thread you might find useful as well).

boblink
Gerbil
Topic Author

W8 "Programs"

Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:57 am

Thanks guys, I need to get use to this since W8 is "the future".
Thank you, I appreciate ALL your help help.
Bob

Pettytheft
Gerbil XP

Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:11 pm

You don't even have to hit the 'R' key when doing the search. One of the best features of Windows 8 is the global search from the homescreen.

absurdity
Gerbil Elite

Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:37 pm

If you right-click a blank spot in the Start screen, you'll get an option for All Apps. That will give you what essentially used to be the start menu. You can pin programs from there.

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:51 pm

Pettytheft wrote:
You don't even have to hit the 'R' key when doing the search. One of the best features of Windows 8 is the global search from the homescreen.
Well, whatayaknow. I was happy enough that the same reflexive keystrokes worked in Win8 as Win7 that it didn't occur to me to try that (I unless I did it accidentally and didn't notice). I probably won't change, just because habits run deep (and I still use Win7 a lot). Still, good to know, thanks.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:28 pm

UberGerbil wrote:
Pettytheft wrote:
Well, whatayaknow. I was happy enough that the same reflexive keystrokes worked in Win8 as Win7 that it didn't occur to me to try that (I unless I did it accidentally and didn't notice). I probably won't change, just because habits run deep (and I still use Win7 a lot). Still, good to know, thanks.

And as I mentioned before, Win8's "global" search is segregated into Apps, Settings, and Files categories, where in Win7 it is combined. If only there is a way to combine them instead of me needing more clicks (ie. needing to move hand from kb to mouse) or keys (you can do tab/down, down, enter also for going into Settings, for example), I will be happy. :-?
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.