Where is the 'enum' key in the registry in 2k?

Monopoly money comes in many flavors: 7, Vista, XP, 2K, ME, 98, etc.

Moderators: Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

Postposted on Sun Mar 24, 2002 1:58 pm

Without using Red Edit, since I can't because the drive I want to delete that key from is not a working bootable drive yet, which file is the 'enum' entry in and how do I delete it using wordpad, or do I need something else?

Unless someone can tell me how to point Reg Edit to another drive other than 'C'.

This other drive is bootable (or was suppose to be). It was imaged from another computer and moved here. I ran sysprep from M$ before I moved the drive but that didn't work, all I get is a stop message on bootup even in safe mode per M$ article 216915 (as I thought, I should of deleted the enum key while I still had access to it).

Again, I can access the drive as 'D' and would have to edit a data (text) file I assume to do it. Unless someone else had a better idea.

I have done this before in 98SE and it worked, but it was alot of work cleaning things up. I wanted to try it here with 2k instead of re-loading everything again (which I just did on the main computer)!
videobruce
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Sun Mar 24, 2002 2:23 pm

videobruce, you'll have to provide more information about exactly what you're trying to do. If you're not familiar with RegEdit (it appears that you're not), I advise you to not use it. Are you trying to move an application that was installed on one drive to another?
You are false data.
Speed
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Sun Mar 24, 2002 2:56 pm

1. Yes, I am familar with RedEdit.
2. I think the 3rd paragraph was descriptive
enough.

But if you wish.........

1. I imaged a drive in computer 'A' with 2 bootable drives (drive C to D).

2. I ran sysprep after I confirmed the image was good (at least to that system).

3. I transfered that drive over to computer 'B' giving it 2 bootable drives also.

4. I booted and received the stop error message on the added drive.

5. This is 2k w/sp2 installed. By the way, on both systems, the bootable drive is switchable at post.

I deleted the 'enum' key in the registry on ANOTHER system change (M/B's) and let the O/S (98SE) re-detect all the hardware somewhat sucessfully.

So I thought I would like to try it here BUT since I CAN'T access the drives registry where it is with Reg Edit, but CAN access the drives registry files under System32Config with wordpad (or something else), I wanted to know where enum is?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: videobruce on 2002-03-24 13:57 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: videobruce on 2002-03-24 14:00 ]</font>
videobruce
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Sun Mar 24, 2002 4:23 pm

About all I can offer is that you are better off installing Windows from scratch when you move a drive to a new system. If you can't do that for some reason, at least reinstall Windows over the existing installation.
You are false data.
Speed
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Sun Mar 24, 2002 6:12 pm

On 2002-03-24 12:58, videobruce wrote:
[...]

I have done this before in 98SE and it worked, but it was alot of work cleaning things up. I wanted to try it here with 2k instead of re-loading everything again (which I just did on the main computer)!

Sorry I don't have anything useful for you (excerpt perhaps that you could get partition managing software like Partition Magic and make a small, say 1.5 GB partition, install W2k on that, and then play around with the other OS from in there), but you've piqued my interest.

I've got a W98SE setup I switched the motherboard and processor on, and now it's taken to rebooting every once in a while for no reason I can tell. It seems associated with running MSIE 5.5, but since that has been stable before, and I haven't logged every event, it may just be that the last couple of times were that way (and perhaps one other - it's only happened about half a dozen times or so in the last month), so I don't know for certain yet. But what's this about deleting the enum key? What were the consequences of doing that? I'm moving that box to eventually be a server, with a different OS, but I would like to make W98 stable so that it can remain an option if circumstances ever warrant.

Thanks for any info. you can offer.
Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder
Silver subscriber

Return to Windows