Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

riviera74
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Installing Windows 8 from a 4GB USB drive

Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:40 pm

I know that there is a way to download and install Windows 7 onto a USB flash drive and then install 7 from said drive. Windows 8 Should have the same capability. However, unlike W7, W8 lacks a legitimate source to download the ISO necessary to clean install W8 from a USB flash drive. DigitalRiver.com lacks the ISO file for Windows 8 (ANY version). Yes, I have a Windows 8 COA with product key straight from Microsoft!

Any way to resolve this without needing to install Windows 8 from a DVD drive?
Omen by HP Desktop: Core i5-7400, 8GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050, 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Re: Installing Windows 8 from a 4GB USB drive

Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:25 pm

Try use the diskpart command to format and activate the partition on the USB disk, then just copying the contents on the DVD to the USB drive.
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

massbart
Gerbil In Training

Re: Installing Windows 8 from a 4GB USB drive

Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:08 pm

The Win7 USB install tool http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/html/pbPage.Help_Win7_usbdvd_dwnTool works fine for Win8. It's what I used to install from a TechNet ISO.

If you have the installation DVD, you can make your own ISO from it with various rip/burn/authoring utilities. It's the product key that determines what version of Win8 will be installed; the DVD contents are identical on most retail versions, including the Upgrade units. That's why they say "Anytime Upgrade/Add New Features" since the necessary files for the different versions are already on the media.

If you bought Windows 8 and you have a Windows 8 product key, you can download and install it from this page http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/upgrade-product-key-only