Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

bigjohn888jb
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Windows XP home reboot on startup

Tue May 28, 2013 12:05 pm

I can’t think of what else to do. I have an XP home with all updates that when you start the computer with a cold boot, loads into windows, you see the icons and the auto loads down in the tray and the screen goes black and the computer restarts. Sometimes on the restart it will load properly and some times I have to go into safe mode, restart and then it loads properly. If I have the computer on and do a restart – no problem. I have done the following:
Msconfig, turn off all processes and startup – no effect.
Uninstalled Norton – n/c
Took out ½ the memory – n/c
Put first ram stick back in took out other stick – n/c
Took out both sticks, put in another manufacture’s ram – n/c
Updated all drivers to latest version (motherboard p4m800pro-M7) – n/c
Updated bios – n/c
Ran sfc /scannow – no problems found – n/c
Chkdsk – n/c
Checked event log – no record of the restart.
Turned off auto restart if error in windows – restarts anyway
Scanned with superantispyware – found some problem – cleared, rescan – stays clear
Scanned with AVG – no problems found.
Once it is running, you would not know there is any problem.
Anything else?

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Re: Windows XP home reboot on startup

Tue May 28, 2013 12:13 pm

Sounds like some sort of driver/hardware interaction. If you haven't tried it already, do this: Control Panel => System Properties => Advanced => then click "Settings" button under the "Startup and Recovery" entry. On the next window, look for a list of entries under "System Failure" and un-check "Automatically Restart".

See if you then get a Blue Screen instead of a reboot, and take note of the message associated with it.

Another place to look: Control Panel => Administrative Tools => Event Viewer. See if you can find any warnings or errors associated with these reboot events.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

bigjohn888jb
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Tue May 28, 2013 12:50 pm

I watch it, no blue screen. Just black and restarts. I have already turned off the automatic restart. It restarts anyway. The event viewer gives no indication that it is doing anything but starting. Nothing in the system or application log. No c:\memory.dmp, no c:\windows\minidumps. It is acting like everything is fine, but it does this restart.

bigjohn888jb
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Tue May 28, 2013 1:10 pm

Just installed the hard drive test from Western Digital. Did an extended scan. No problem found.

Walkintarget
Gerbil Team Leader

Tue May 28, 2013 1:13 pm

Check the board for swollen caps. If no caps found either bulging at the top or leaking outright, then the PSU is the primary culprit.
AMD Ryzen R5 2600x, Asus Prime x470 Pro, Sapphire Nitro Fury 4GB, HP EX920 512GB NVMe SSD, 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro, 4TB WD Red HDD, Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Ed, Win 10 Pro

bigjohn888jb
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Tue May 28, 2013 2:02 pm

No bad caps. BUT... I put in a different power supply and I've had two boots that did not restart. I'll turn it off for an hour and start it again, but this looks very encouraging.

bigjohn888jb
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Tue May 28, 2013 4:18 pm

Waited an hour. Booted up no problem. Waited another hour. Booted right up, no problem. Previous problems with power supplies were much more obvious.

Thank you very much. This is for a 70 year old client who takes care of her 102 year old mother. She uses her dial up for all her email.