Can you upgrade to the full release win 8.1 without ms live

Monopoly money comes in many flavors: 7, Vista, XP, 2K, ME, 98, etc.

Moderators: Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

Can you upgrade to the full release win 8.1 without ms live

Postposted on Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:56 pm

So I used the 8.1 preview - it was OK. Today I deleted it, re-installed my paid 8.0 pro.

After finding the missing update file that allows you to get to the 8.1 download in the store (an ordeal for one who hates tiles), I installed it.

Now I can't log on as anything but my ms live name and password. Did I miss a step or is this required? (I was doing other stuff, may have been too inattentive in the jungle of stupid questions)

(If there is no alternative, this is too much for me - I'm out of here if this is required)
ordskiweicz
Gerbil Team Leader
Silver subscriber

Re: Can you upgrade to the full release win 8.1 without ms l

Postposted on Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:42 pm

ordskiweicz wrote:So I used the 8.1 preview - it was OK. Today I deleted it, re-installed my paid 8.0 pro.

After finding the missing update file that allows you to get to the 8.1 download in the store (an ordeal for one who hates tiles), I installed it.

Now I can't log on as anything but my ms live name and password. Did I miss a step or is this required? (I was doing other stuff, may have been too inattentive in the jungle of stupid questions)

(If there is no alternative, this is too much for me - I'm out of here if this is required)

Select use existing and then click cancel on the next page.
Deanjo
Gerbil XP

Postposted on Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:58 pm

I have 2 instances of Win 8.0: one in a VM, another on a Surface Pro.

It won't install on Virtual Box 4.2 (apparently needs 4.3 (NX, PAE, SSE2 support)). On this host machine, I run other VMs that I don't want to screw with until this weekend. So that's on hold.

On my Surface Pro, it's downloading at about 1% per hour. I don't care much because I'm enjoying the RedSox/Tigers game.

Thanks for the tip about "use existing". If the only choice was to use a Live ID, both would get wiped, and the Surface Pro would move to Linux.
(and I don't think I'd ever look back.)
MarkG509
Gerbil First Class
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:10 pm

Great tip. Yet - it appears you have no choice but to log in - the first screen gives no other option (you don't see use existing yet).

But don't type in a ms live account and you get to a new account screen where you can use existing.

It is really very opaque - obviously on purpose. Crappy
ordskiweicz
Gerbil Team Leader
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:28 pm

I find the sync stuff useful so I just use it. On my home PC where I don't want to deal with a user/pass I just do the same thing that I've done since the XP days:

WinKey+R > control userpasswords2

Then uncheck the box for requiring a password, fill in my password and go.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do, I do not do. But what I hate, I do.
derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:16 am

The trick to bypass the live login is to give it a nonexistent email/password and let it fail. The error page that follows has a 'use local account instead' option.
Desktop: FX-8350 | 32 GB | XFX Radeon 6950 | Windows 7 x64
Laptop: i7 740QM | 12 GB | Mobility Radeon 5850 | Windows 8.1.1.1.1 x64
SuperSpy
Gerbil Jedi
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:21 am

For some reason when I join Win81 to our Active Directory and log in, Internet Explorer insta-crashes and I can't launch any of the Metro apps either. Works OK with a local/Live account, but joining my AD account to Live doesn't work.
Think for yourself, schmuck!
i5-2500K@4.3|Asus P8P67-LE|8GB DDR3-1600|Powercolor R7850 2G|1.5TB 7200.11|1988 Model M|Saitek X-45 & P880|Logitech MX 518|Dell 2209WA|Sennheiser PC151|Asus Xonar DX
bthylafh
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Return to Windows