Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

bazb85
Gerbil

Re: Windows 8.1 won't sleep automatically

Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:12 pm

I ran the /restorehealth command, and it looks like it finished quickly but gave an error 87. I have a solid state drive, is that why it was so quick? I opened the log, and was part english, part chinese (lots of chinese...weird). Here's the english part:

[1580] Caller did not request sparse mount
[1580] Mounting new image.
Wim: [\\?\GLOBALROOT\device\harddisk0\partition6\Recovery\WindowsRE\Winre.wim]
Image Index: [1]
Mount Path: [C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\e7ed5cdf-9943-4f99-b5f8-1b639b0e8062]
[1580] Wimserv process started for guid 67b29512-cc2f-4835-a2bb-4bb5294c9da7. Id is 1644
[1644] ImageUnmarshallHandle: Reconstituting wim at \\?\GLOBALROOT\device\harddisk0\partition6\Recovery\WindowsRE\Winre.wim.
[1644] Mounted image at C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\e7ed5cdf-9943-4f99-b5f8-1b639b0e8062.
[1580] [0x8007007b] FIOReadFileIntoBuffer:(1415): The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.
[1580] [0xc142011c] UnmarshallImageHandleFromDirectory:(511)
[1580] [0xc142011c] WIMGetMountedImageHandle:(2568)
[1580] [0x8007007b] FIOReadFileIntoBuffer:(1415): The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.
[1580] [0xc142011c] UnmarshallImageHandleFromDirectory:(511)
[1580] [0xc142011c] WIMGetMountedImageHandle:(2568)
[1580] ImageUnmarshallHandle: Reconstituting wim at \\?\GLOBALROOT\device\harddisk0\partition6\Recovery\WindowsRE\Winre.wim.
[1580] ImageUnmarshallHandle: Reconstituting wim at \\?\GLOBALROOT\device\harddisk0\partition6\Recovery\WindowsRE\Winre.wim.
[1644] Received unmount request for image with guid 67b29512-cc2f-4835-a2bb-4bb5294c9da7.
[1644] Unmount for image at C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\e7ed5cdf-9943-4f99-b5f8-1b639b0e8062 complete.

I'm running the other cmd, /scannow right now. I'll post the results, if any.

bazb85
Gerbil

Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:26 pm

And the scan just finished:

"Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations."

MadManOriginal
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:38 pm

So this is kind of silly, upgrading from Win 7 to Win 8 was less problematic for things people expect like sleep than Win 8 to Win 8.1? (I don't know, maybe there were glitches like this for Win 7 to Win 8.)

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator

Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:55 pm

The error 87 usually implies an incorrect argument, which may explain why it was so unhappy about being able to find a target.

It looks like it connected to the Windows Recovery Environment WIM on the Recovery Partition and tried to extract it to Windows\Temp\{GUID}

The dism command I gave you is meant to deal with the SXS and Windows Update corruption. So it doesn't make a ton of sense what you pasted there. Putting that aside let's just make sure you got the syntax exactly right.

Admin Command Prompt
dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

Honestly if the sfc /scannow passed odds are the underlying OS is healthy. It can't vouch for your whole install, but at least the underlying heart is okay.

The easy tricks are nearly tapped out. What remains is the hard task of figuring out which driver/device, service, firmware, or software is to blame.

At some point you might also weigh how many hours you're willing to put into finding this one elusive item that's bringing down the whole house of cards versus wiping it all away and starting with a new foundation.
All of my written content here on TR does not represent or reflect the views of my employer or any reasonable human being. All content and actions are my own.

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator

Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:01 pm

MadManOriginal wrote:
So this is kind of silly, upgrading from Win 7 to Win 8 was less problematic for things people expect like sleep than Win 8 to Win 8.1? (I don't know, maybe there were glitches like this for Win 7 to Win 8.)

There always are and definitely will be. In this case two driver models changed, the Network driver model NDIS iterated to version 6.4 and the WDDM video driver model is now at 1.3.

It doesn't even take full OS upgrades. When SP1 for Win7 debuted some people discovered they couldn't apply it and the issue was traced back to Driver Sweeper being overly aggressive and damaging the system.

Optimus on my laptop started causing specific applications to crash after the 8.1 upgrade. The upgrade had allowed me to retain my WDDM 1.2 drivers. I had to update the Intel drivers to latest and greatest WDDM 1.3 drivers to fix it.

These type issues is why Linux distributions like Mint don't encourage in place upgrades through the repository.
All of my written content here on TR does not represent or reflect the views of my employer or any reasonable human being. All content and actions are my own.

End User
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:51 pm

Ryu Connor wrote:
MadManOriginal wrote:

There always are and definitely will be in this case as two driver models changed. The Network driver model NDIS iterated to version 6.4 and the WDDM video driver model is now at 1.3.

It doesn't even take full OS upgrades. When SP1 for Win7 debuted some people discovered they couldn't apply it and the issue was traced back to Driver Sweeper being overly aggressive and damaging the system.

This kinda stuff is going to be awesome for Windows tablet owners.

I gave up on trying to find a fix for my 8.1 update issues on two of my systems (inability to sleep and inablitlity to install the update). The fix for my sleep issue was a switch to Ubuntu 13.10. The system that could not update to 8.1 got a new SSD and a fresh install of Windows 8.1.

A_Pickle
Gerbil Elite

Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:10 pm

I too am having this issue, my computer was sleeping just fine prior to this.
Sagan: Core i7 4790K + Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR3-1600 | Mushkin Striker 480GB | 1 TB Hitachi HD31000 HDD | Sapphire Radeon R9-290X | Rosewill Line-M
My HeatWare
The Great Graphics Card Warranty Thread

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator

Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:07 am

End User wrote:
This kinda stuff is going to be awesome for Windows tablet owners.

Presumably if you bought a Windows Tablet you didn't want a walled garden (Surface RT excluded) and the advantages that brings.

Software installed on your device that impede the OS from migrating correctly or fully functioning as intended is definitely one of the downsides to a open ecosystem with an open platform.

Full Windows tablets are flexible enough to deal with this. It will undoubtedly make some people unhappy and much of it probably isn't Windows fault, but Windows will take the blame regardless. That's not a new phenomenon, it's been that way forever.

bazb85
Gerbil

Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:29 pm

OK folks, some interesting developments:

Dell just called me back telling me that they may have found a fix, and are awaiting final approval from their enhanced technical team before they try it out on my machine. The guy I spoke to was the same guy who's been working on my case for the last couple of days, and said he's fairly confident it will work. He said it was "a BIOS problem and the configuration of my computer", whatever that means. This is after a report of some sort was generated by Dell on my machine last night and sent to their higher technical teams. I think it was powercfg-related in the cmd prompt. I would have been paying attention had Prison Break on Netflix not been so enticing.

By the way, I realized last night that my BIOS was never updated after all. The Dell tech went straight to the site and realized I had a prior BIOS, which is strange how it fell through the cracks, presumably due to a filter setting on the driver page that the previous tech overlooked. Long story short, that didn't succeed.

They said they will call tonight or tomorrow and try the fix. Will update everyone on what was done and whether it works.

Ryu Connor, I was tempted to wipe everything and start over, but the attempts over the last day or so have been minimal effort, and I am curious myself to see how this could be fixed, considering the large numbers of people I hear about being afflicted with this ridiculous issue. Thank you for all your suggestions, nonetheless. I'm always open to help.

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator

Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:46 pm

He said it was "a BIOS problem and the configuration of my computer", whatever that means.

The standard for the sleep functionality is built into the BIOS. If it has a bug it will impact the ability of the machine to sleep. Sounds like Dell believes that model has a bug.

bazb85
Gerbil

Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:59 pm

Interesting. So you mean it could be a problem with Dell's architecture, as opposed to a Windows 8.1 flaw? If that's the case, then that's the last time I do business with Dell. No excuses after this one.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:15 pm

bazb85 wrote:
Interesting. So you mean it could be a problem with Dell's architecture, as opposed to a Windows 8.1 flaw? If that's the case, then that's the last time I do business with Dell. No excuses after this one.

OK, slow down. No big fan of Dell boxen here (monitors are a different story) but the OS changed after the last BIOS refresh. If the OS is asking the BIOS to do something it doesn't know how to do it barfs until it's updated. If it is a BIOS incompatibility it isn't a "Dell architecture" issue (they don't write their own BIOS code) but is instead on the mobo vendor (again, not Dell despite any silk-screening to the contrary) to come up with a new BIOS flash to fix the problem. Oh, when it comes Dell will splat out ad copy about how their revised BIOS fixes this problem but they're just a conduit for some faceless mobo company in China or Taiwan.

Stuff like this happens all the time due to a lack of communication between MS and the mobo vendors over exactly what BIOS changes are needed to support the new OS. The top-tier manufacturers get an advanced look. Not all manufacturers do, or can afford to, so they make it up on the fly. When you're building commodity boxen to a price point, you're not likely to use Tier-1 mobo vendors.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator

Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:08 am

The ACPI standard is complicated. I know Linus Torvalds has been an outspoken critic of the complexity and subsequently poor BIOS implementations for many years.

Ned's right too, the way the big vendors source parts means they really only validate the platform for the OS it ships with. Microsoft shifting gears and moving to a yearly release schedule is really going to make lives more difficult for everyone I suspect. I expect the OEMs may face a great deal more bugs being uncovered. When that happens they have to wait on the ODM to fix the bug.

Apple makes this look easy due to all that vertical integration (and even their yearly OS updates tend to go wrong for some end users).

Erazor GTX
Gerbil
Topic Author

Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:38 pm

Just as an update, the problem is better on my end but not gone. My computer would eventually go to sleep with an idle time set at 15 min, but sometimes it would take hours to get there. This is even if the command line says that there are no active requests on the system. What further added to my frustration was the fact that my computer would randomly wake up for no reason at all. I found out that the culprit to the random waking problem was intel's smart connect technology software - a program designed to periodically wake laptops from sleep and ping servers for email/weather/app updates so that no time was wasted updating these things when you do eventually wake your PC up. After uninstalling that program, my computer has not woken from sleep randomly.

However, I couldn't figure out why my computer stays up for almost 2 hours sometimes before going to sleep when it's apparently doing nothing but idling. So, I have given up - I set my sleep time to never, my screens turn off after 5 min, and from now on I'll manually sleep my PC when I leave. I have a cyberpower UPS, whose software will hibernate my PC if there ever is a power outage. So, that's my workaround. Hopefully there are BIOS/driver updates that address this issue soon. Either way, thanks for all your help! Bazb85, good luck to you - I hope Ryu and Capt. Ned can help you get everything sorted out.
i5 3570K | ASRock Z77 Pro4 | 12GB | HD7850 | 500GB Samsung EVO 850 | 120GB Corsair Force 3 | 2TB WD Caviar Black | 2TB WD Caviar Green | 2x WD Caviar Black 640 GB | 3x U2412M | 200R

Erazor GTX
Gerbil
Topic Author

Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:59 pm

I actually had a very similar problem happen to me when I did upgrade from win7 to win8 - the culprit then was the mobo BIOS, and some incompatibility with win 8. Eventually ASRock released a BIOS update that fixed the problem for my motherboard.
i5 3570K | ASRock Z77 Pro4 | 12GB | HD7850 | 500GB Samsung EVO 850 | 120GB Corsair Force 3 | 2TB WD Caviar Black | 2TB WD Caviar Green | 2x WD Caviar Black 640 GB | 3x U2412M | 200R

End User

Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:56 pm

Ryu Connor wrote:
Apple makes this look easy due to all that vertical integration (and even their yearly OS updates tend to go wrong for some end users).

That link does not highlight updates that have gone wrong for end users.

If there is one thing that OS X does really well is OS upgrades. Year after year I've upgraded tons of Macs and I've yet to have a problem. I spent this past summer going from dev build to dev build of Mavericks without a hitch. I've already upgraded to Mavericks on my work iMac and my personal Mac mini and MBA (having cloned my Mountain Lion setup) without any issues. Apple has done an outstanding job with Mavericks. I wish I had the same luck with the Windows 8.1 update.

Nori
Gerbil In Training

Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:06 pm

I had the same issue. I have a Lenovo ThinkPad Edge. Overwrite-installing the power management driver has solved the problem for me.

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator

Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:16 pm

End User wrote:
That link does not highlight updates that have gone wrong for end users.

Yes, it does.

John Siracusa wrote:
After three releases in three years, Apple has proven the viability of yearly releases. It can be done—but should it be? Despite their shared technical underpinnings, upgrading to a new major release of OS X is still fraught with considerably more peril than the one-tap iOS update experience. (Remember when Apple used to call them "iPhone Firmware" upgrades?)

We're all conditioned to expect iOS devices to behave in an appliance-like manner. But when it comes to the Mac, both Apple and its customers are victims of their own expectations. Users assume that major personal computer OS updates are complex and dangerous (they certainly have been in the past), so they're hesitant to upgrade.

Apple, meanwhile, is extremely cognizant of its customers' preconceived notions about what makes a Mac different from an iOS device: free access to the file system, the ability to download and install applications from anywhere on the Internet, rich inter-application communication, extensive customization. But many of these things are exactly why the OS X upgrade experience has yet to reach iOS levels of reliability and simplicity.

That being said. I'm sure the tightly control Mac ecosystem makes it easier than what Windows has to face. So it is an apple to oranges comparison.

You really don't want to me start Googling for individual instances of screwed Maverick or older upgrades. Cause it's the Internet and such things are akin to rule 34.

Star Brood
Gerbil First Class

Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:41 pm

"Sorry, your connection sucked during the download, your Apple TV must be connected to your Mac or PC with a Micro USB cable. Oh what's that? You are a loyal Apple customer and only have dock connectors/lightning connectors? Sucks to be you, should've gone cheap and bought an Android. Now head over to the store. No, not an Apple store, they won't have one, a regular electronics store, and go buy one. And then you can restore your Apple TV and no we won't refund you the Micro USB cable."

That's paraphrasing how many of my calls go.

End User

Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:45 pm

Star Brood wrote:
"Sorry, your connection sucked during the download, your Apple TV must be connected to your Mac or PC with a Micro USB cable. Oh what's that? You are a loyal Apple customer and only have dock connectors/lightning connectors? Sucks to be you, should've gone cheap and bought an Android. Now head over to the store. No, not an Apple store, they won't have one, a regular electronics store, and go buy one. And then you can restore your Apple TV and no we won't refund you the Micro USB cable."

That's paraphrasing how many of my calls go.

Your post is almost as good as Ryu Connor's.

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator

Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:22 pm

To get this back on topic.

I'm running into an issue where Lenovo's Virtual Power Controller and Intel's Smart Connect Technology driver doesn't work under 8.1. With these drivers not working the system will not fall into a timed sleep. A forced sleep still works, but not a timed one.

The devices successfully install and list in Device Manager and no errors are reported there. When Maintenance is run Windows comes back and informs you that the driver isn't compatible.

What gets me about this is that Lenovo is shipping 8.1 systems today with both of these broken drivers. I don't interact with Lenovo a great deal. Is this common behavior for them?

bmartin0352
Gerbil In Training

Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:26 pm

This worked for me (So Far)
Open Network and Sharing Center and click on Change Adapter settings.
Right-click on your adapter and select Properties. Uncheck Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6) and click OK.
Then open Device Manager, right-click on your Network Adapter and select Properties > Configure > Advanced and click once
on Large Send Offload v2 (IP/v6) to highlight and set the Value to "Disabled", then click OK and restart your PC.

After reboot I set the timer to 5 min for mon & sleep
Worked great..
Set it to 30 min... Fail.

Still testing

2 days later....
Now nothing works. Argh!!!!
What a PITA!!

Had to do a complete reboot (Pull power cable from wall)
Because the power button on my tower would't sleep like it normally did.
Now sleep works by it's self.

Testing More!!!
Last edited by bmartin0352 on Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bandera1891
Gerbil In Training

Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:35 am

Same problem here.

My workaround is to unplug the network cable :/

So maybe the lan drivers for my B75MA-P45 is the reason?

bazb85
Gerbil

Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:32 pm

Folks, sorry for the radio silence. Just a quick update:

Basically, Dell attempted to contact me once with a supposed "solution" since late last week when I was out, and never followed up to try it. Basically, after countless hours of trying, I gave up and did a clean reinstall of Windows 8.0, ridding myself of the unholy curse known as Windows 8.1.

I reinstalled my drivers and updated everything to pristine and happy state. I also noticed that after all the tinkering Dell and myself did since the upgrade was released, my computer became slower and more prone to freezing. Logging in onto windows (with my user account credentials), for instance, would take up to 30 sec to verify password compared to the current instantaneous entry. Wifi either kept dropping often, or would take an absurdly long time to connect, or just work normally sometimes. That problem, which has been present since Day 1, has been eliminated with the reformatting.

Not sure what the heck happened with Windows and possible drivers/firmware, but someone somewhere screwed up big time and I'm not upgrading to 8.1 for a while, if ever. This experience has been plain bitter!

huaco
Gerbil In Training

Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:25 pm

Hello people, I'm new to this board. Google led me to this thread as I was looking for a fix for the problem you are discussing. I bought my Asus gaming laptop running Windows 8 back in February. Since the upgrade to 8.1 a few days ago no more auto sleep. I have followed the procedures described here to no avail.

Yesterday I found that if I turned the mouse off the computer went to sleep at the right time consistently. I use a Logitech M510 wireless laser mouse that has an on/off switch on the bottom. This does not get me to where I can just get up and walk away and expect the computer to sleep but I think it points to the cause of the problem. I have never installed any drivers from Logitech but I might try that. In case it matters I had disabled the mouse touchpad on the keyboard some time before doing the upgrade and it remains that way.

Hope this helps.

Edit: I had to go down the road on a short errand so I tried a little experiment. Rather than turning the mouse off I just put it on the table upside down. The computer was asleep when I returned. I'm starting to think the mouse drivers are a bit too sensitive for the high resolution pointing devices we are using.
Last edited by huaco on Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Star Brood
Gerbil First Class

Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:28 pm

I'll try unplugging my Razer DeathAdder tonight and see if I get the same results.

Edit: this ties into something weird that's been happening lately if I force the computer to sleep - the computer goes into a furious cycle of booting up and making weird noises. I haven't encountered it myself but my wife says she removes one of the USB cables from the back and it solves it. I guess that's the mouse she's unplugging.

johnix2013
Gerbil In Training

Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:32 pm

I have a 2007 vintage HP model PC, that was working fine on 8.0 before I upgraded to 8.1. The fix for me was removing it from the Homegroup. Insomnia cured. I am not sharing files with my other PCs anyway. Another forum said I can re-create the Homegroup if I wanted and it should still work, but I will probably not. I too originally noticed that sleeping worked fine when I unplugged the network cable.

Edit: I spoke too soon. While it worked multiple times yesterday after I removed it from the Homegroup, today the only way I can make it sleep on its own is to unplug the network cable. :(

Beeba
Gerbil In Training

Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:14 am

Hello. I had the same issue where my PC would not sleep following a migration to Windows 8 -> 8.1. I had been using Windows 7 Ultimate with no sleep issues. I read this thread and many others like it, and tried just about everything. In the end, it all came down to one simple setting: I had to disable "hybrid sleep."

This can be located under Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Power Options\Edit Plan Settings -> Change advanced power settings. Once I made this change, the PC sleeps fine with no issues. No other changes were required. Hope this helps.

ClintBeastWoodx
Gerbil In Training

Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:48 pm

I'm having the same problem but when I ran the Power Efficiency Diagnostics Report these were my results. I'm noticing that its my two errors at the top of the report, but I don't know how to fix them. It would be greatly appreciated if anyone could help me out.

Analysis Results
Errors
System Availability Requests:System Required Request
The service has made a request to prevent the system from automatically entering sleep.
Requesting Service Schedule

System Availability Requests:System Required Request
The service has made a request to prevent the system from automatically entering sleep.
Requesting Service defragsvc

USB Suspend:USB Device not Entering Selective Suspend
This device did not enter the USB Selective Suspend state. Processor power management may be prevented when this USB device is not in the Selective Suspend state. Note that this issue will not prevent the system from sleeping.
Device Name USB Composite Device
Host Controller ID PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1C26
Host Controller Location PCI bus 0, device 29, function 0
Device ID USB\VID_04D9&PID_A070
Port Path 1,4

This device did not enter the USB Selective Suspend state. Processor power management may be prevented when this USB device is not in the Selective Suspend state. Note that this issue will not prevent the system from sleeping.
Device Name USB Mass Storage Device
Device ID USB\VID_18E3&PID_9106
Port Path 1,8

Device Name NETGEAR WNDA3100v2 N600 Wireless Dual Band USB Adapter
Host Controller ID PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1C2D
Host Controller Location PCI bus 0, device 26, function 0
Device ID USB\VID_0846&PID_9011
Port Path 1,3

Device Name USB Root Hub
Device ID USB\VID_8086&PID_1C2D
Port Path

Device Name USB Root Hub
Device ID USB\VID_8086&PID_1C26
Port Path

Device Name Generic USB Hub
Device ID USB\VID_8087&PID_0024
Port Path 1

Device Name Generic USB Hub
Device ID USB\VID_8087&PID_0024
Port Path 1

Device Name USB Composite Device
Device ID USB\VID_04F2&PID_0603
Port Path 1,3

CPU Utilization:Processor utilization is high
The average processor utilization during the trace was high. The system will consume less power when the average processor utilization is very low. Review processor utilization for individual processes to determine which applications and services contribute the most to total processor utilization.
Average Utilization (%) 28.35

spennce
Gerbil In Training

Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:44 pm

Stopped google hangouts from auto running and now my computer sleeps as it should. I had allowed google hangouts to run automatically when I start chrome after upgrading to windows 8.1 and apparently hangouts and 8.1 don't get along. I right click hangouts in lower right corner off desktop and chose options and unchecked start hangouts when I start chrome and now sleep is fine. This might just be coincidence but sleep is working.