Disk image on flash drive after upgrade to 8.1

Monopoly money comes in many flavors: 7, Vista, XP, 2K, ME, 98, etc.

Moderators: Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

Disk image on flash drive after upgrade to 8.1

Postposted on Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:47 pm

I bought my Asus G55VW laptop earlier this year with Windows 8.0 on it. One of the first things I did was make a disk image to a 32 Gb flash drive using the facilities that Windows provided. This seemed to go smoothly with no complaints about the FAT32 file system on the flash drive. I also turned on file history and pointed it at a WD Passport USB 3.0 hard drive which I connect to every few days to update file history manually.

After going through the long and tedious download and update to 8.1 and getting everything apparently stable I thought I should make another disk image. At first I thought I would just overwrite the old disk image but the system would not do it because it wanted to see an NTFS file system to write it to. I'm sort of glad that happened because I really should hang on to the image of the slim and trim shape the computer came with but now I need to do something else because I would prefer to restore if it becomes necessary what is in place now. After taking a closer look at what is on the drive now I probably need to get a 64 Gb flash drive.

I can get a 64 Gb USB 3.0 flash drive for about $50. My question is will it be FAT32 or NTFS and if it comes with FAT32 can I reformat it to NTFS before doing the disk image? Is this a reasonable way to prepare for unpleasant surprises or is there a better way to go about it?
huaco
Gerbil In Training

Re: Disk image on flash drive after upgrade to 8.1

Postposted on Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:34 am

Sure, it's as easy as right-clicking the flash drive under My Computer and quick-formatting it to NTFS. Some systems won't recognize it as a bootable USB drive (mostly just BIOS utilities like UEFI updating programs), but it should work fine otherwise.

If all you are doing is using it for backup purposes, why not get a larger capacity external drive for the same price?
Kougar
Gerbil Team Leader

Return to Windows