Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

BIF
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

Re-flow: I need this specific browser feature

Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:53 pm

Hello.

I set my zoom level to 125-150% to avoid needing my reading glasses so often. Sometimes this makes the characters so large on my screen that reading forums requires a lot of left-right scrolling, even when the browser is maximized.

I hate left-right scrolling, no matter what Microsoft thinks, so is there a Firefox or IE plugin that will allow forum content to re-flow?

Wirko
Gerbil Team Leader

Re: Re-flow: I need this specific browser feature

Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:14 am

I don't think a reflow addon could help here. When you zoom in, the already wide graphic content at the top of the page is magnified along with everything else, and the width of the paragraphs follows its width.

I use Firefox and have the option set to only enlarge text (120%), not graphics. It's far from a perfect solution as it often breaks the page layout badly, but helps to avoid the problem you're describing. I can zoom in to 200% on the TR forum and see everything pretty well formatted if the browser window is wider than ~1000 pixels.

BlackStar
Gerbil

Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:21 am

There is a Chrome and Firefox plugin called "Fit to width" that reflows text when you zoom.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... komnefchkl

It is similar to what Opera used to have built-in (but doesn't work nearly as smoothly.)

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:39 am

How about just dropping your monitor's resolution? Or getting a bigger size with the same resolution?

BIF
Topic Author

Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:29 am

BlackStar wrote:
There is a Chrome and Firefox plugin called "Fit to width" that reflows text when you zoom.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... komnefchkl

It is similar to what Opera used to have built-in (but doesn't work nearly as smoothly.)

Thank you, I used "Fit to width" as a search term

in Firefox add-on manager and found Zoompage 8.3 . It allows me to zoom only the text. Not sure if it will be workable, but I'm just trying it out now...

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
How about just dropping your monitor's resolution? Or getting a bigger size with the same resolution?

Thanks, but this would be a step backward. My photo and graphic arts stuff is best done with native resolution and I really don't want to buy any monitors with lower resolution.

My old Android phone had a reflow option, and that was really very nice. I could zoom on an article to a text size readable without my glasses, then double-tap on it and the entire article would reflow. iOS and Windows should contain this feature natively!

Duct Tape Dude
Gerbil Elite

Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:16 pm

In Firefox there is a minimum font size in Options -> Content -> Advanced...

Maybe try setting that instead of having to zoom?

rbattle
Gerbil First Class

Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:40 pm

BIF wrote:
Usacomp2k3 wrote:

Thanks, but this would be a step backward. My photo and graphic arts stuff is best done with native resolution and I really don't want to buy any monitors with lower resolution.

If you cannot read text at that distance and ppi, do you really properly utilize the display when viewing graphics? I think he is trying to suggest you should buy a bigger display, in other words a screen with lower ppi so at your viewing distance you can actually see the detail. You could keep the same pixel resolution, they would just be larger with a larger screen.
i7-4770K, Asus Z87-PRO, GTX 970, 16GB DDR3-2400, 840 PRO, Silverstone FT02b, Overlord 1440P IPS @ 117Hz

Go HOKIES!

BIF
Topic Author

Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:08 pm

rbattle wrote:
BIF wrote:
Usacomp2k3 wrote:

If you cannot read text at that distance and ppi, do you really properly utilize the display when viewing graphics? I think he is trying to suggest you should buy a bigger display, in other words a screen with lower ppi so at your viewing distance you can actually see the detail. You could keep the same pixel resolution, they would just be larger with a larger screen.

Yeah, I get it. But fellas, it's still a kludge! :-?

I have the same problem on my 17" Asus laptop screen. I multitask, and it's the same regardless of which computer or screen I'm using. Sometimes I want to set the browser to something smaller than full screen to make room for whatever else I'm working on, adjust the text size, and read without excessive left-right scrolling.

So far, the Firefox plugin is ugly, but it's working okay for now. Buttons and controls on web pages are messy, but I can read the body text, and this was most important to me.