Bing Bar and Bing Desktop

Monopoly money comes in many flavors: 7, Vista, XP, 2K, ME, 98, etc.

Moderators: Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

Bing Bar and Bing Desktop

Postposted on Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:03 pm

These keep showing up on "Windows Update" and before I "hide" them, I'm just curious if anybody uses either one to good effect.
BIF
Gerbil Jedi
Gold subscriber

Re: Bing Bar and Bing Desktop

Postposted on Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:20 pm

That's the only Windows Update I've never installed (thank goodness you can hide them). But I don't install any toolbars from anybody. (And about half of what I do on friends & family machines is uninstalling them.)
UberGerbil
Gerbil Khan

Postposted on Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:46 pm

UberGerbil wrote:That's the only Windows Update I've never installed (thank goodness you can hide them). But I don't install any toolbars from anybody. (And about half of what I do on friends & family machines is uninstalling them.)

This ... it would be nice if there was a GPO policy or something to just stop them from installing entirely.
TwistedKestrel
Gerbil Team Leader

Postposted on Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:03 pm

I've been using the Bing desktop for quite a while now (pretty soon after it came it if I recall, which I have no idea when). I really like the bing desktop as it adds a new (and usually very cool desktop) every day. I've definitely had a few people comment on it (in a positive way). The Bing tool bar that comes with it...'eh, it's out of the way. Out of sight, out of mind. I always saw the update in my Windows update and assumed it was there because I actually have it installed. Not cool Microsoft if you're trying to push it on people who DON'T have it installed.
Venii, vidii, vicii
Wii came, Wii saw , Wii conquered
Sargent Duck
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:27 pm

It is marked as an optional update and does not auto install. Optional updates require manual selection.

I too hide it to fulfill my OCD desires for uniformity.
"Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends. We're so glad you could attend. Come inside! Come inside!"
Ryu Connor
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Return to Windows