Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

BIF
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

Bing Bar and Bing Desktop

Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:03 pm

These keep showing up on "Windows Update" and before I "hide" them, I'm just curious if anybody uses either one to good effect.

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Re: Bing Bar and Bing Desktop

Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:20 pm

That's the only Windows Update I've never installed (thank goodness you can hide them). But I don't install any toolbars from anybody. (And about half of what I do on friends & family machines is uninstalling them.)

TwistedKestrel
Gerbil Elite

Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:46 pm

UberGerbil wrote:
That's the only Windows Update I've never installed (thank goodness you can hide them). But I don't install any toolbars from anybody. (And about half of what I do on friends & family machines is uninstalling them.)

This ... it would be nice if there was a GPO policy or something to just stop them from installing entirely.

Sargent Duck
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:03 pm

I've been using the Bing desktop for quite a while now (pretty soon after it came it if I recall, which I have no idea when). I really like the bing desktop as it adds a new (and usually very cool desktop) every day. I've definitely had a few people comment on it (in a positive way). The Bing tool bar that comes with it...'eh, it's out of the way. Out of sight, out of mind. I always saw the update in my Windows update and assumed it was there because I actually have it installed. Not cool Microsoft if you're trying to push it on people who DON'T have it installed.
No matter how bad the new homepage sucks or how bungled the new management is...

To all the original writers/contributors and volunteers, please know that I have nothing but the deepest love for you and the work you've done.

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator

Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:27 pm

It is marked as an optional update and does not auto install. Optional updates require manual selection.

I too hide it to fulfill my OCD desires for uniformity.
All of my written content here on TR does not represent or reflect the views of my employer or any reasonable human being. All content and actions are my own.