Downgraded from 8.1 to 7, some thoughts

Monopoly money comes in many flavors: 7, Vista, XP, 2K, ME, 98, etc.

Moderators: Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

Downgraded from 8.1 to 7, some thoughts

Postposted on Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:14 pm

Went back to Windows 7 because my uninstall and power options magically disappeared in 8.1, and plus AMD doesn't have an official Catalyst out for the 4000 series for it yet and I was using some hacked drivers that had some wonkiness.
I thought it would still feel like an upgrade, but surprisingly I'm already missing 8.1. I think the single biggest thing is lack of the Synaptics Windows 8 trackpad driver, really accurate and near-60fps smooth scrolling is really worth a lot which you realize when it's gone. If I could get that driver working in 7 that would be great, but I don't think it supports that level of scrolling smoothness at an OS level (am I wrong?).

I'm using an older multitouch driver that HP had out for Synaptics (on my Dell, heh), the official 7/8 driver won't install.

I also miss the much hated start screen actually. Being able to pin big tiles to it helped you remember what was installed. Plus lots of other tweaks throughout Explorer, and animations were smoother on it too, 7 is fairly smooth but on 8 most UI animations were near perfect.

Grumble grumble. I'll probably go back forward in a few months.
tipoo
Gerbil

Re: Downgraded from 8.1 to 7, some thoughts

Postposted on Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:12 am

Yeah, that was why I stayed with 8; the smoothnes part.

I just needed to install Classic Shell to allow my brain to function. :lol:
BIF
Gerbil Jedi
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:40 am

I did get the official Synaptics windows 7/8 multitouch driver installed now, but like I suspected only 8.X supports smooth scrolling at an OS level. Windows 7 scrolls in smooth chunks at best.

The Windows 8 version of the same driver is *really* damn good, best trackpad driver for Windows I've used, it's short from being Mac-good but it's like 80% there.
tipoo
Gerbil

Postposted on Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:37 am

As an Elan touchpad user on Win 8.1, I've approximately very jealous.
Duct Tape Dude
Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:10 am

Duct Tape Dude wrote:As an Elan touchpad user on Win 8.1, I've approximately very jealous.

How is that driver in 8? No smooth scroll I'm assuming you mean? Is there multitouch?

Yeah, right now Synaptics + Windows 8 seems like the best trackpad experience possible on Windows.
tipoo
Gerbil

Postposted on Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:14 am

We've done some recording testing now with 8.1 and honestly other than having to use Start8, things are going well. We do get some weird mouse issues when we hit get above about 150 channels of recording at once. I think we're going to have to use 2012 R2 with our new box since it's a 4 processor box. (Recording 256 channels audio is OK, but trying to process that .....)
keltor
Gerbil First Class

Postposted on Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:47 am

tipoo wrote:How is that driver in 8? No smooth scroll I'm assuming you mean? Is there multitouch?

Yeah, right now Synaptics + Windows 8 seems like the best trackpad experience possible on Windows.

I have an Asus Zenbook and unfortunately the driver situation is really terrible for Elan touchpads. I tried several drivers, they each had one or more of the following problems for me:
  • No deadzone for the buttons (buttons are integrated into the touchpad itself, it's a clickpad thing so even if the driver was good, it was useless if this problem existed)
  • Very poor palm detection compared to synaptics
  • Multitouch was overly sensitive to the point of uselessness
  • Touchpad freakout (touchpad confused, wait a second or two to let it know you just want to two-finger-scroll)
  • Poor tracking response
  • No smooth scrolling

Unfortunately, this left me with the Asus touchpad drivers and their proprietary configuration app, which is bulky, sometimes buggy, and has an added problem of setting several power options to maximum power (ie: minimum CPU throttle, Intel Graphics Power Plan, etc) whenever certain multitouch gestures are used (scrolling, rotating, etc). Other than that it's pretty decent and improves the Elan drivers to maybe 80% of a Synaptics solution, but I had to find a way to kill off the power changes since it was murdering my battery life. I solved that by creating a scheduled task to run some powercfg commandline stuff every time it detected a power plan change event (hooray Windows Events and Task Scheduler!).

So, I solved it, sure. But nothing beats installing a default Synaptics driver and having everything just work.
Duct Tape Dude
Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:52 am

This is very interesting, tipoo. Thanks for your thoughts.
Milo Burke
Gerbil First Class
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:03 pm

BIF wrote:I just needed to install Classic Shell to allow my brain to function. :lol:

Same here! I install it on everything, that and FileSearchEX for classic search too. I'm holding my breath Windows 9 will help me.
pcunite
Gerbil In Training

Postposted on Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:43 pm

I rage-installed / bought Start8 after 2 months of daily Windows 8 usage.

A more level-headed person would have probably just downloaded Classic Shell :roll:
i7 3820 @ 4.4, Custom Water Loop | ASRock X79 Extreme4 | 8GB G.Skill 1600mhz
EVGA GTX 670 FTW | BenQ XL2420T 120Hz | Samsung 840 250GB |WD Black 1TB | Win 8 Pro x64
X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro | Sennheiser HD555 | Corsair TX850V2 | Fractal Arc Midi R2
Prestige Worldwide
Gerbil XP

Postposted on Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:27 pm

Does anyone use Startisback? That's what I've been using since the first day I got my new laptop with windows 8 and I've never had to complain on TR about the drawbacks of the windows 8 UI.
chµck
Gerbil First Class

Postposted on Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:43 pm

I've personally just used the Windows 8 UI and not had to complain about the Windows 8 UI
X2 3800+ @ 2.3, 2GB Mushkin pc3200, Lanparty Ultra-D, X850XT @ 560/585
jss21382
Gerbil Jedi

Return to Windows