Windows, SSD's, and the swap file...

Monopoly money comes in many flavors: 7, Vista, XP, 2K, ME, 98, etc.

Moderators: Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

Re: Windows, SSD's, and the swap file...

Postposted on Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:19 pm

I am running dual 120s in raid 0 for my c drive with 32 gigs of ram. The default swap setting eats up 13% of my C drive. That ain't happening. I put that much ram in the system to use. I didn't do it to have windows try to minimize my ram usage.
Hance
Darth Gerbil

Postposted on Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:11 am

Ryu Connor wrote:
The Egg wrote:The one general rule about virtual memory is that the experts will never give you a straight answer. Most of the information you'll find is outdated by 10 years, and doesn't account for systems with more than 2GB of RAM. Everything else is just opinions based on no testing whatsoever.

Yes, they do give you a straight answer. This very thread has links to those very people.

The information is not outdated by 10 years, not that age really matters. The purpose of swap hasn't changed in decades.

Just as with the previous two statements the information is based on empirical data, not just peoples opinions.

Patently bad information like this is detrimental to the quality of discussion on these forums. It is particularly egregious when made directly after resource links were put in this very thread before you posted.

your righteous indignation would be better received if the so-called expert advice didn't come with a panda meme that suggested that killing a swap-file kills pandas.
Diplomacy42
Gerbil

Postposted on Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:15 am

Well, since the topic has now devolved into red herring arguments, I guess we're done here.
"Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends. We're so glad you could attend. Come inside! Come inside!"
Ryu Connor
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Previous

Return to Windows