ryko wrote:what about run as admin?
I can't believe I didn't try this, completely slipped my mind... tried everything I could think of except this, apparently. It worked and now I feel slightly embarrassed
Thanks for reminding me!
HorseIicious wrote:May try running in compatibility mode for Win7 to see if that helps. Or also, check and make sure you actually have full rights for the file under your current user account. Not the best ideas, but it's all I've got.
Thanks for the input! I do have all the rights necessary on this account. Thanks!
Melvar wrote:It does this with all .exe files, or just installers?
Edit: What's that "ownership_0" thing?
Just installers. Other .exe files work fine normally. The ownership_0 thing is what I used to add Take Ownership to the right-click menu, I brought that zip over to my laptop from my desktop and it's never caused anything there. I think it may have caused this situation, but I guess it's solved...? Thanks for your input as well!
UberGerbil wrote:It's possible the file association for .msi has been messed up. You might want to check that in the Default Programs / Set associations in the control panel.
(Aside: personally, I always go into folder options and turn off "hide extensions" -- as well as not hiding system files, etc -- just so I always can see what I'm really dealing with).
Checked that and it was all correct. That's a useful place to check for things when it's not all going well, thanks for telling me about that! I'll be using that in the future. Haven't gotten to unhiding extensions on this machine yet, it's a new laptop so I'm still getting everything all set up. Just did that, though. I agree, it's really good to see what's actually on the drive.
ASRock A55 Pro3, AMD A8 x4 3850 @ 4.7 + Xigmatek Gaia, Thermaltake V3 Black Edition, 8GB DDR3/1600, HIS 6870 1GB, 620W PSU, 500GB HDD, 250GB HDD, 3TB HDD, Logitech x530 5.1