Windows 7 RDP 8 issues SOLVED...sort of...

Monopoly money comes in many flavors: 7, Vista, XP, 2K, ME, 98, etc.

Moderators: Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

Windows 7 RDP 8 issues SOLVED...sort of...

Postposted on Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:21 am

Hi All,

After noticing the Windows 7 sp1 RDP8.1 update this week, I figured I had to try if I could get it to work.
I followed all the steps in the microsoft article about enabling RDP8 here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2592687
Before enabling this option on my main machine, (win7 pro x64 Sp1) Remote desktop worked fine. After following these steps something strange is happening.
When I try to connect with my android phones "Remote RDP (light)" I can login to the remote pc, just as I always had.
However, when I try to connect using any machine running the newer protocol (my win7 x64 sp1 notebook with all the updates, and my htpc with windows 8.1, and even RD client for android) I get nothing.
Yes it finds the pc, and gets immediatly refused. on my phone I get a connection refused message, on the desktop I get a nice message that the pc cannot connect to the remote pc... no other clues.

No when I examine the windows logs on my remote pc, I don't get much, but I do see that when I try to connect it generates one or two messages:
1 Microsoft-Windows-TerminalServices-RemoteConnectionManager -> "Listener RDP-Tcp received a connection". when connecting with a rdp8 client

2 Microsoft-Windows-TerminalServices-RemoteConnectionManager -> "Listener RDP-Tcp received a connection", and Microsoft-Windows-TerminalServices-RemoteConnectionManager -> Remote Desktop Services: User authentication succeeded:

As I don't get to the logging in part with the rdp8 machines, I don't know if the missing of message part 2 is due to not being logged in yet, or because of a pc authentication failure.

I also noticed that when I try to log in (locally) FROM my remote machine to my windows 8.1 htpc, I get an error saying that the htpc only accepts NLA connections (which my remote machine should support). Ofcourse only when I enable this restriction on the htpc. My windows 7 notebook however connects even with this restriction.

can it be that the two problems are related?

oh en after disabling the group policy that enables RDP8, I can connect to my remote again with all pcs... ofcourse without rdp 8

anyone any ideas whats going on here? :roll:

thanks in advance
Last edited by Bonusbartus on Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bonusbartus
Gerbil

Re: Windows 7 RDP 8 issues

Postposted on Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:44 am

So... 75 views, and no one has any idea?

seems like I've found a nice problem again ;)
Bonusbartus
Gerbil

Postposted on Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:35 pm

Just a guess: Did you add your user accounts to the "Remote Desktop Users" group?

Aside from that, I dunno lol. RDP 8 just works for me on my Win 7 SP1 install. ¯\(°_o)/¯

Here's a screenshot of me connected via the Android client. I opened the Remote Desktop Connection about box to show that RDP 8 is indeed enabled.
jihadjoe
Gerbil Team Leader

Postposted on Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:22 pm

Thanks for your suggestion ;)
Yes, my user is in the remote user list. Otherwise I wouldn't be able to log in with the old protocol. (I can't imagine that there is a second remote users group for rdp8, and I don't even get to the login screen)
What your screenshot shows does not indicate that RDP8 is enabled for you, only that with that client, you can connect to a RDP session using 8.0 (outgoing)
it does not tell wether you are using 8.0 right now.
If I connect to my machine and open that screen it show support for 8.1.

So if you want to try, you should follow the steps in the microsoft article I mentioned in my first post. (go to group policy editor, enable rdp8.0, reboot and try with another rdp8 client).

:(
Bonusbartus
Gerbil

Postposted on Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:23 pm

I did do all that. Sorry if you don't think the Client Connection screen is good proof, so here's the Group Policy Screen.
Again it's not as good as using the actual desktop client and having the connection quality icon, but I am confident that the machine is running RDP 8 and it is working as intended.

I'll connect using a proper Win8 client when I bring my laptop home from work.
jihadjoe
Gerbil Team Leader

Postposted on Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:34 am

Damn you win, I do believe you. :)
so now... what is going wrong on my system, how do I debug this...
I noticed in your screenshot that you have support for 8.0, while on my system it says 8.1.
Maybe I'll try uninstalling that last .1 update and try it with only 8.0 :)
Bonusbartus
Gerbil

Postposted on Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:08 am

Firewall rule perhaps? The connection suddenly getting dropped make me think something is blocking it.

This stuff is usually much easier to debug on the Server editions because you can RDP in to the local machine, whereas consumer versions are limited to only one active session at a time.
jihadjoe
Gerbil Team Leader

Postposted on Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:04 am

Well it could be a firewall rule, though switching off windows firewall didn't help.
I noticed that enabling the Gpolicy added some additional firewall rules, for "Remote Desktop RemoteFX(in-UDP)" but didn't add this rule for TCP, so that might be a problem.
could you check what rules are enabled in your firewall?
Bonusbartus
Gerbil

Postposted on Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:49 am

Well, It looks like it is indeed a firewall problem.
When trying to connect to localhost, the rdp sessions works, whenever I try remotely it doesn't.
When I stop the Windows Firewall service using the "services.msc" the connection doesn't get dropped, but I still can't connect. RDP client just doesn't find the RDP server in this case.
The only thing I can think of is the missing firewall rule "Remote Desktop remoteFX (TCP-in)" which isn't added after reinstalling all the updates, nor after resetting firewall policy and default settings
Bonusbartus
Gerbil

Postposted on Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:42 pm

Well I uhm... solved it...
I tracked it down to the missing "Remote Desktop - RemoteFX (TCP-in)" rule, I can't think of anything else.
even after a system restore of before the update, and a manual removal and reinstall of the updates it won't show up.
As I had some other small problems with the system I went ahead and did a full reinstall of my pc :P :P
only cost me 4 hours to reinstall everything (windows 8.1 x64 this time), which is probably a lot shorter than tracking down and solving the problem :D
Bonusbartus
Gerbil

Return to Windows