Windows 8 on a Touch Screen

Monopoly money comes in many flavors: 7, Vista, XP, 2K, ME, 98, etc.

Moderators: Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

Windows 8 on a Touch Screen

Postposted on Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:14 am

First off, I prefer Windows 8 to Windows 7. But I always use Windows 8 with Start8 installed, so I get the benefits of 8 with the interface and navigation of 7.

Well, today, after 18 months of Windows 8 being out, I finally got the opportunity to use Windows 8 on a touch screen monitor as it was intended. No Start8 installed, either. Brand new W8 installation.

I know where the hot-corners are, but I can't get them to open by touch! I can't open a program or shut down the computer just by tapping the screen! No amount of dragging into, dragging out of, or holding into the hot corners will activate the charms! I could use the mouse, but that defeats the purpose. And I can open the Start Screen with the keyboard, but that also defeats the purpose. Isn't a touch-based OS supposed to be usable only by touch? What gives?

I'm not a prodigy, but I do know my way around computers. I work a help desk and I read TR, for example. 8) I'm pretty sure I'm missing something, and I'm about to Google solutions to find out what I'm missing.

I get so sick of people hating on Windows 8 for being what it is, and I do think intentionally reducing functionality with a mouse was a poor choice. But until now, at least I thought W8 should be near perfect when used with a nice, big touchscreen that no one has or wants. And now I can't even figure out how to launch a program with the touchscreen alone. Fantastic. :roll:
Milo Burke
Gerbil Team Leader
Gold subscriber

Re: Windows 8 on a Touch Screen

Postposted on Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:00 pm

When you have touch on the Start screen, you don't do the hot corners. They are for mouse users.

To get the list of apps, you use the down arrow if you are on 8.1. On 8 you may need to swipe from top to get the "right click" bar to show up from the bottom? But really, they want you to pin apps on the Start screen so you can just tap the tiles. You can also bring out the Charms by swiping from the right and Search for the apps (and then pin them).

To shutdown, bring out the charms (a little known keyboard shortcut is WinKey+C), Settings, Power. Yes, it's multiple taps. The next update for 8.1 will put the Power button directly on the Start screen, so something to look forward to.

More references:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2013022/ ... mands.html
http://ibnlive.in.com/news/windows-8-to ... 46-11.html
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.
Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Postposted on Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:10 pm

What type of touch screen monitor are you using?
I had it installed on a infared monitor and some of the swipe commands would not work because of how close to the edge they were initiated.
Gandolf
Graphmaster Gerbil

Postposted on Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:29 pm

This is the monitor in question.

Flying Fox, I'm still not quite sure how to do what you're saying. I'm trying to reach the Start Screen using only touch. I'm not already on the Start Screen. But no worries, I'll Google a solution. :)
Milo Burke
Gerbil Team Leader
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:22 pm

What monitor? That infrared type thing?

Start Screen using Touch? Do you have a Windows button on the monitor? If not, just hit the Windows key.

More reference:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WISSHkRQI-A

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Postposted on Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:15 am

Weird. I thought I put in a link. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00G6T ... UTF8&psc=1

(In case the link doesn't through again, it is the Hannspree HT231DPBU.)

I'm not sure what you mean by infrared.
Milo Burke
Gerbil Team Leader
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:17 pm

Milo Burke wrote:I'm not sure what you mean by infrared.

It was mentioned in Gandolf's post above.

Comments on Amazon said it works with Windows 8/8.1. Try look at the video that I linked and replicate the gestures.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Return to Windows