Windows 8.1 April Update

Monopoly money comes in many flavors: 7, Vista, XP, 2K, ME, 98, etc.

Moderators: Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

Windows 8.1 April Update

Postposted on Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:36 pm

Alright, it's available and everyone now gets a lot of those things they've wanted. The Start Menu is expected to arrive soon.

So, what do people think?

- I've changed things mostly back to the way they were. I'm one of the odd-balls who actually liked launching to the Start Menu (I have a weakness for live tiles, which began with my WP7 phone, I guess).
- I'm a fan of the power button on the Start Screen, though I'm not sure how often I'll use it.
- The little "x" on the apps could be useful occasionally, though probably more on laptops with a touchpad than on a desktop with a good mouse and pad combination.
- The new IE11 options are probably things people will like. I turned them back to the way they were. But, I know some people really like having address bars and tabs always visible.
- The "search" button on the Start Screen just seems silly, though I guess it's useful for people who don't know that you can just hit "Windows" and start typing.

Anyway, that's my review after about 20 minutes with it. I'm sure I'll discover other things. But there are certainly some major positives, not the least of which is that most of these things can be changed. Ironically, I feel like I have to be happy that I can revert to the "new" and do away with the "old" that is so demanded. Not sure how I feel about that, personally. I'm not sure if this makes me resistant to change or what.

Edit: Here's an explanation for those who would like some guidance on what's new: http://blogs.technet.com/b/askpfeplat/archive/2014/04/07/exploring-windows-8-1-update-start-screen-desktop-and-other-enhancements.aspx
FightingScallion
Gerbil
Silver subscriber

Re: Windows 8.1 April Update

Postposted on Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:34 am

I always liked 8/8.1, but I like 8.1 a lot more now. It just feels a lot less discordant switching between WinRT and desktop apps with the taskbar presence changes.

I still don't care about the start menu, but I'm sure some people will love it.

As for the unhidden functionality, I always felt that was 8s biggest sin. It hid too much and just expected people to know what they were doing.
I can't leave without my buddy Superfly!
Savyg
Gerbil Elite
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:51 am

Just today, I was on a web page and clicked on a button "email us". The "metro" version of my Yahoo email opened up. Crap, I could not type and send a damned email because the page was NOTHING like my normal Yahoo mail pages. Nothing was where I needed it to be, and the metro version of Yahoo mail would not respond to anything I tried to do. Click here, click there, I could not type the addresses, subject, or body of a simple email.

I hate metro, but not because it's new. I hate it because there's not enough help for first timers, and I hate it because it's modal (it blocks everything else on that screen). To hell with Metro; I hope they serve stale cold coffee there.

Back to Classic Shell and shut off metro screen. I wish I could shut it off. :(
BIF
Gerbil Jedi
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:11 am

Am I the only one that misses the ability start an ad hoc network.

I'm aware that it can still be accomplished by command line, but I don't understand why it was dropped from the network menus.
C10 250
Gerbil
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:48 pm

It failed the first time during the automatic update - that seems to be a thing based on the various forums I checked out. Disabled my AV and ran it again manually, and it worked.

Some notes... I like the power button on the Start Screen. I've begrudgingly gotten used to the Start Screen, but one of my biggest remaining pet peeves was having to use the goofy charms thing to get to the power options. Groovy.

I like the bar at the top of Metro apps. Having to swipe them down to get rid of them wasn't terrible I suppose, but the X is just more convenient.

There are more options in the Settings. I haven't played with them enough to come to any conclusions, but so far I like - more options is good.
cphite
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:16 pm

Savyg wrote:I always liked 8/8.1, but I like 8.1 a lot more now. It just feels a lot less discordant switching between WinRT and desktop apps with the taskbar presence changes.

I agree. I just wish I could always show the taskbar. At least with my mouse on my desktop it feels like I have to hammer the bottom of the screen to get it to appear. That'll "fix itself" with the next update that brings windowed Modern UI apps by virtue of the fact I don't maximize anything.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do, I do not do. But what I hate, I do.
derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber

Return to Windows