Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

DPete27
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Win7 Icons Multi Users

Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:43 pm

I don't know how to form this into a useful Google search, but I figured the TR gerbils wouldn't have a hard time helping with my issue.
Background: I recently set up a multi-user Win7 machine (aka, multiple user log-ins). I have no experience with multi-user machines since I haven't previously had the need on my own machines or any family machines. Also, any machines I build for others, I give them the "basic installation package" (Single user Windows installation w/ updates, Adobe reader/flash, and a few other programs by request) and let them manage their user accounts.

Problem: My multi-user machine has an admin (parent) and a limited-access (child) account. However, when I install a program using either account (a game on the limited access account for example), and that program creates a desktop icon/shortcut during installation, the icon gets put on both user's desktops. I don't want the game icon on the admin account's desktop, but when I delete the icon from the admin account, it also gets erased from the limited account. I did find that if I then went back and manually created a desktop shortcut to said game on the limited account a second time, the icon did not show up on the admin account.

What I Want: I've obviously found a work-around to my problem, but it's a major pain to have to do that every time something new gets installed. I also worry that if something important, like Tax/Accounting programs, gets installed on the admin account in the future, that the limited account might also gain access to that program and it's contents. I know it's just a shortcut and either account could access the program from the Programs folder, and there may be installation options to restrict access to specific accounts for the program, but I want to know if there's some setting in Windows that's making this happen. I'd almost rather the shortcut only get created on the account that's installing it and have to manually create the shortcut on the other if needed.
Main: i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-M, MSI RX480 8G, 500GB Crucial BX100, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 16GB 1600MHz G.Skill @1.25V, EVGA 550-G2, Silverstone PS07B
HTPC: A8-5600K, MSI FM2-A75IA-E53, 4TB Seagate SSHD, 8GB 1866MHz G.Skill, Crosley D-25 Case Mod

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator

Re: Win7 Icons Multi Users

Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:55 pm

Global Location for Shortcuts:

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs
C:\Users\Public\Desktop

User Location for Shortcuts:

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs
All of my written content here on TR does not represent or reflect the views of my employer or any reasonable human being. All content and actions are my own.

DPete27
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:24 pm

Ryu Connor wrote:
Global Location for Shortcuts....User Location for Shortcuts:

...Ok? I'm not sure how this helps me, sorry.
Main: i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-M, MSI RX480 8G, 500GB Crucial BX100, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 16GB 1600MHz G.Skill @1.25V, EVGA 550-G2, Silverstone PS07B
HTPC: A8-5600K, MSI FM2-A75IA-E53, 4TB Seagate SSHD, 8GB 1866MHz G.Skill, Crosley D-25 Case Mod

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:39 pm

It's been a long time since I've had to do this kind of stuff so I may be forgetting something (somebody who does IT admin for squadrons of windows desktops may have a better approach) but I suspect that Group Policy is going to be your solution. Run gpedit.msc (it's in Windows\System32\en-US\ and you need to be elevated, ie right-click Run as Admin) and expand
User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Start Menu and Taskbar
IIRC, if you configure "remove common program groups from start menu" to "yes" then that profile won't see programs from the "All Users" profile, which is where most setup programs stick their shortcuts (some actually give you the option of installing for particular users vs all users, but IME that's rare).

You may want to run down the list (and the other templates) as there are other things available there that you might want to restrict for the child's profile (eg access to the control panel).