Adobe Flash Update Hell....

Monopoly money comes in many flavors: 7, Vista, XP, 2K, ME, 98, etc.

Moderators: Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

Adobe Flash Update Hell....

Postposted on Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:01 pm

So I did my "mostly weekly" update and boot routine today and upon reboot of Windows 8.1, Adobe Flash says it needs to update. I am always suspicious about Java and Adobe because they try to slip malware onto my system. So I cautiously proceeded with my consent, and next thing I know, the Adobe Downloader is downloading not only the supposed Adobe update, but also two other things; one of them being "Google Toolbar".

So I hit "cancel" and stopped the update while it was still in the download phase. No updates even had the chance to get applied.

I mostly use Firefox on this system anyway, but even so, I don't want any toolbars! I don't even want them to be downloaded.

What are my choices here? I don't know right now if Flash is required by any of my apps or by sites I visit, and I'm not sure how/when it got installed. But it's becoming a hassle, so is there any way I can figure out if I can just uninstall Adobe Flash from all my workstations and be done with it?
BIF
Gerbil Jedi
Gold subscriber

Re: Adobe Flash Update Hell....

Postposted on Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:52 pm

I keep Firefox and chrome installed to troubleshoot when various internet problems happen.

Chrome uses an internal program (pepperflash) instead of adobe flash and Firefox uses adobe flash so using Chrome should get you through until the adobe update is available "clean".

Jim
Last edited by xgsound on Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xgsound
Gerbil

Postposted on Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:54 pm

Yep. I feel your pain. Search for flash player distribution 3, download the full installer. No mess.
Calm seas never made a skilled mariner.
drsauced
Graphmaster Gerbil

Postposted on Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:00 pm

Flash Uninstaller:
http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/ ... ndows.html

Flash Standalone Installers:
http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplay ... tion3.html

Acrobat Reader Standalone Installers:
https://get.adobe.com/reader/enterprise/

You'll find these are Joe Friday approved.
"Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends. We're so glad you could attend. Come inside! Come inside!"
Ryu Connor
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:15 pm

You can go to Add-ons > Plugins and set Flash to "Ask to activate." This keeps flash from loading on default, but it give you the options to enable it if need be.

On my personal systems, I don't install flash, and open Chrome if I really need it. If enough people refuse to install flash, websites will hopefully migrate to something else.
Flatland_Spider
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:18 am

Are you absolutely sure you didn't miss a checkbox that you had to un-check to prevent it from installing the other crapware?
(this space intentionally left blank)
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:37 pm

The check box for the extras that install with Flash is on the download page rather then in the installer.
Flatland_Spider
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:45 pm

Yep, and all this reminded me that I can't uninstall Flash yet because I myself support a website with forms that use Flash. I hate it when I am part of the problem...D'oh! :x

Oh sure, I'll try Chrome but I'll need to keep using Firefox and IE for testing that site until I find another way. In the meantime, thank you for the links Ned, and thanks everybody for jumping in to help. :)
BIF
Gerbil Jedi
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:52 pm

Yeah, Flash is basically a necessary evil on the web (and has been that way for years). To paraphrase an old joke, "Flash - can't live with it, can't nuke it from orbit!"
(this space intentionally left blank)
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Return to Windows