Installing/uninstalling lots of software, without bogging?

Monopoly money comes in many flavors: 7, Vista, XP, 2K, ME, 98, etc.

Moderators: Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

Installing/uninstalling lots of software, without bogging?

Postposted on Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:42 pm

I know windows is known for getting bogged down, when lots of programs are installed and removed. I know you can do routine maintenence like registry cleaning, defragging (auto scheduled nowadays), removing temporary files, etc.

But I'm wondering are there any good practices, or preemptive actions to keep things tidy, and minimize performance issues for someone who wants to test out a large number of games and other software?
mxmaniac
Gerbil In Training

Re: Installing/uninstalling lots of software, without boggin

Postposted on Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:58 pm

I usually install new software in VirtualBox first before installing it on my system, so I can try it out.

Using an SSD will eliminate almost all of the problem of system degredation as it seems to come mainly from fragmentation.
Intel Core i5-4670K | Asus Z87-A | G.Skill 8GB 2400MHz CL10 | Asus DirectCU II R9 290 4GB | Samsung 840 120GB |Thermalright Macho | Lancool PC-K59
puppetworx
Gerbil Elite
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:23 pm

Most of the bogging down comes from miscellaneous crapware -- browser toolbars, tray icons, automatic update checkers, etc.

If you are careful not to install these (or at least nuke them on sight), you can keep the degradation to a minimum.
(this space intentionally left blank)
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:25 pm

I'd say good practice would be not to do registry cleaning, at least not with automated "tune up" utilities.

If you're worried about software potentially breaking your install then the virtual machine suggestion is a good one. They won't be any use for games since 3D performance is generally poor but games are usually fairly self contained so they don't leave much behind when they're removed.
Fernando!
Your mother ate my dog!
cheesyking
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Postposted on Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:31 pm

With moder Windows version, the real problem is not the registry, but the amount of small, random reads issued to the hard disk drive. If you install a software that preload it and/or attach itself to other softwares (eg: a search toolbar), these small read will greatly increase, slowing down the system.

If you use a SSD, the system will slow down much less than a similar system equipped with a classic HDD.

Regards.
www.ilsistemista.net - test & bench :)
shodanshok
Gerbil

Postposted on Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:17 pm

shodanshok wrote:With moder Windows version, the real problem is not the registry, but the amount of small, random reads issued to the hard disk drive.

Yup. And the above mentioned crapware is a major contributor to this, especially during system startup and login. Modern OSes do try to minimize the amount of disk thrashing during startup, but they don't control what 3rd party applications do.
(this space intentionally left blank)
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Return to Windows