Son off to college with laptop: Win 7 or Win 8.1?

Monopoly money comes in many flavors: 7, Vista, XP, 2K, ME, 98, etc.

Moderators: Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

Son off to college with laptop: Win 7 or Win 8.1?

Postposted on Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:36 am

Let's get ready to RUMBLE!
I dont think, therefore I am not.
WhatMeWorry
Gerbil
 
Posts: 79
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:01 pm
Location: Illinois

Re: Son off to college with laptop: Win 7 or Win 8.1?

Postposted on Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:39 am

Does your son have a preference at all?
Ryhadar
Gerbil XP
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 387
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:51 pm

Re: Son off to college with laptop: Win 7 or Win 8.1?

Postposted on Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:52 am

8.1 with Classicshell installed and disable Metro default apps.

It's not that hard.
i7 3820 @ 4.4, Custom Water Loop | ASRock X79 Extreme4 | 8GB G.Skill 1600mhz
EVGA GTX 670 FTW | BenQ XL2420T 120Hz | Samsung 840 250GB |WD Black 1TB | Win 8 Pro x64
X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro | Sennheiser HD555 | Corsair TX850V2 | Fractal Arc Midi R2
Prestige Worldwide
Gerbil XP
 
Posts: 437
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:57 pm

Re: Son off to college with laptop: Win 7 or Win 8.1?

Postposted on Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:59 am

8.1. The technical differences make it worth it, whatever your start menu preferences are.
Meow.
Savyg
Gerbil Elite
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 639
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 6:18 am
Location: Between desert and tundra

Re: Son off to college with laptop: Win 7 or Win 8.1?

Postposted on Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:03 pm

Ryhadar wrote:Does your son have a preference at all?

Agreed. Has he tried both, maybe even tested the Surface Pro 3?
Losergamer04
Gerbil First Class
 
Posts: 178
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:01 am

Re: Son off to college with laptop: Win 7 or Win 8.1?

Postposted on Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:14 pm

I have long hated Windows 8 and have been sticking with Windows 7 on my machines. I recently switched to Windows 8.1 + StartIsBack. I love it, basically Windows 7 with an interface boost and security/performance improvements under the hood. No reservations any longer about migrating over.
x--x--x--x
Spyder22446688
Gerbil Jedi
 
Posts: 1850
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2003 12:28 pm
Location: Seattle, Washington

Re: Son off to college with laptop: Win 7 or Win 8.1?

Postposted on Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:19 pm

If your son has no preference, get W8.1, install Classic Shell, and disable Metro features. The result is basically the Windows 7 interface with all the under-the-hood fixes of the newer OS.
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III
FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 7338
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2004 7:53 pm
Location: the abyss into which you gaze

Re: Son off to college with laptop: Win 7 or Win 8.1?

Postposted on Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:12 pm

How far is he going for school? I subscribe to the KISS method when it comes to remote support. If possible stick to an OS that on-campus support will deal with. Use the OS that came with the PC and skip the third-party add-ons that you'd be stuck supporting over the phone should they ever quit working.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do, I do not do. But what I hate, I do.
derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 21295
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2003 9:13 pm
Location: WHAT?

Re: Son off to college with laptop: Win 7 or Win 8.1?

Postposted on Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:36 pm

For what it's worth, I'm about to build a computer for my sister-in-law and I recommend she get Windows 7 (coming from XP). She's not tech-savvy, and I wanted to reduce the amount of tech related questions that would no doubt arise from Windows 8.1's new UI alone.
Ryhadar
Gerbil XP
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 387
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:51 pm

Re: Son off to college with laptop: Win 7 or Win 8.1?

Postposted on Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:43 pm

OS X so he doesn't get laughed at by the college hipsters.

Or Linux so that he is accepted by the mouth breathers and neck beards.

Or how about FreeDOS because the love you have for your son is entirely subjective?
Dual Opteron 6376, 128 GB DDR3, Asus KGPE-D16, Radeon 6970
Mac Pro Dual Xeon E5645, 48 GB DDR3, GTX 770
Core i7 3930K@4.2 Ghz, 32 GB DDR3, GA-X79-UP5-Wifi
Core i7 2600K@4.4 Ghz, 16 GB DDR3, Radeon 6870, GA-X68XP-UD4
the
Gerbil
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 81
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:26 am

Re: Son off to college with laptop: Win 7 or Win 8.1?

Postposted on Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:54 pm

There are more than enough performance and stability enhancements in Win8.1 to make it worthwhile; and the start menu thing is a personal preference issue that is easily rectified. Really, at this point there is no solid reason to go with Windows 7.
cphite
Gerbil Elite
 
Posts: 555
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:28 am

Re: Son off to college with laptop: Win 7 or Win 8.1?

Postposted on Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:10 pm

Now that large IT departments are standardizing on Win7 and most mainstream software programs are being updated appropriately, Win7 is probably the better bet for the next few years, similar to how XP long out-survived Vista.

But in general, Win8 is not going to break anything that runs on Win7.
He who laughs last, laughs first next time.
ludi
Gerbil Elder
 
Posts: 5427
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2002 10:47 pm
Location: Sunny Colorado front range

Re: Son off to college with laptop: Win 7 or Win 8.1?

Postposted on Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:12 pm

I wouldn't wish Win8 on anyone. Every time I try to fix something on my daughter's laptop it drives me insane just trying to find basic things and do basic tasks.

Stick with Win7.
Buub
Maximum Gerbil
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 4199
Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2002 11:59 pm
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Son off to college with laptop: Win 7 or Win 8.1?

Postposted on Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:50 pm

What is he planning on majoring in?
Flatland_Spider
Gerbil Elite
 
Posts: 830
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2004 8:33 pm
Location: The 918/539

Re: Son off to college with laptop: Win 7 or Win 8.1?

Postposted on Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:00 pm

Buub wrote:I wouldn't wish Win8 on anyone. Every time I try to fix something on my daughter's laptop it drives me insane just trying to find basic things and do basic tasks.

Stick with Win7.

Have you tried search? It's done the same way as in Vista and 7, click on the start button and start typing.

Or right clicking in the lower left, where most of the power tools can be easily accessed now?

Methinks your lack of experience with it is the only problem.
Meow.
Savyg
Gerbil Elite
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 639
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 6:18 am
Location: Between desert and tundra

Re: Son off to college with laptop: Win 7 or Win 8.1?

Postposted on Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:34 pm

There's no reason not to get windows 8. Just install StartIsBack first thing.
I like Windows 8.
Seriously.
chµck
Gerbil First Class
 
Posts: 163
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:14 pm

Re: Son off to college with laptop: Win 7 or Win 8.1?

Postposted on Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:18 pm

Savyg wrote:
Buub wrote:I wouldn't wish Win8 on anyone. Every time I try to fix something on my daughter's laptop it drives me insane just trying to find basic things and do basic tasks.

Stick with Win7.

Have you tried search? It's done the same way as in Vista and 7, click on the start button and start typing.

Or right clicking in the lower left, where most of the power tools can be easily accessed now?

Methinks your lack of experience with it is the only problem.

Uh yeah, that's the first place I repeatedly end up. And even that's more onerous than it should be, because it's separate from the desktop. But search doesn't always find stuff because you have to know what you're searching for is called. Try looking for Windows Update using either of those words.
Buub
Maximum Gerbil
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 4199
Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2002 11:59 pm
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Son off to college with laptop: Win 7 or Win 8.1?

Postposted on Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:53 pm

I just use three letters and it found it, just as it did with Vista or 7.

You can also get there by right clicking on the flag that pops up in the systray.
Meow.
Savyg
Gerbil Elite
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 639
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 6:18 am
Location: Between desert and tundra

Re: Son off to college with laptop: Win 7 or Win 8.1?

Postposted on Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:57 pm

Buub wrote:
Savyg wrote:
Buub wrote:I wouldn't wish Win8 on anyone. Every time I try to fix something on my daughter's laptop it drives me insane just trying to find basic things and do basic tasks.

Stick with Win7.

Have you tried search? It's done the same way as in Vista and 7, click on the start button and start typing.

Or right clicking in the lower left, where most of the power tools can be easily accessed now?

Methinks your lack of experience with it is the only problem.

Uh yeah, that's the first place I repeatedly end up. And even that's more onerous than it should be, because it's separate from the desktop. But search doesn't always find stuff because you have to know what you're searching for is called. Try looking for Windows Update using either of those words.


It's one of 5 results when I search for it in 8.1, the other 4 being things like settings for Windows update and history. Did you even try it or know what the results were before posting the knee-jerk anti-Windows 8 comment?

Also, something cool this made me notice with the search results: it lowers the brightness of the exact words (and parts of words) you type in search, leaving the words you didn't type in a brighter white. This is a slick little way to allow you to quickly differentiate the results based on what you didn't type, which makes perfect sense to more quickly find the specific result you're looking for.
MadManOriginal
Graphmaster Gerbil
 
Posts: 1413
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: In my head...

Re: Son off to college with laptop: Win 7 or Win 8.1?

Postposted on Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:02 pm

To be fair, original Windows 8 did not have the "Everywhere" search scope but it featured a seemingly totally arbitrary separation of Apps, Settings, and Files. To me it is a regression from Windows 7 (which is essentially a combined search) and really my only gripe. Back then you would indeed not be able to find stuff. 8.1 brings back combined search so I can work my way around it without any Start Menu replacement.
Image
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.
Flying Fox
Gerbil God
 
Posts: 24375
Joined: Mon May 24, 2004 2:19 am

Re: Son off to college with laptop: Win 7 or Win 8.1?

Postposted on Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:14 pm

My stepdaughter's brand new computer suffered the 100% CPU bug when I finished all the updates to 8.1. A quick google of "windows 8.1 100% cpu" will quell any claims that this is isolated. I spent way too many hours trying to fix that, and never did. Since she hadn't even gotten a chance to do anything on the system, I just did a wipe/reinstall. I haven't even done any Windows updates yet because I'm not ready to deal with the aggravation a second time. If it happens again, she's got a $400 paperweight until I have the time and/or money to invest in getting it right.

Color me unimpressed with my first exposure to Windows 8. I can't get the stupid UEFI motherboard to boot to a Windows 7 DVD (never mind the hours I've spent reading forums and watching youtube and it STILL won't work). Yay "progress."
"No I don't want the Ask toolbar! No I don't want Bing as my default search! No I don't want to make Chrome my default browser!"
"Good grief, man! WHAT are you trying to install on that poor computer?"
"Antivirus."
kvndoom
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
 
Posts: 2395
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 11:47 pm
Location: Communistwealth of Virginia

Re: Son off to college with laptop: Win 7 or Win 8.1?

Postposted on Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:57 pm

kvndoom wrote:I haven't even done any Windows updates yet because I'm not ready to deal with the aggravation a second time.


Ok, I can understand part of your thought processes, but DEAR LOVING GORD, why would ANYONE send ANYONE out into the world with an unpatched Windows machine? Did you knit sweaters that said "kick me" on them, or give them condoms with holes pre-poked???

Sure, in this one particular case, there was something wrong, and rather than fix it, you burned it down. OK. Sure. I've been frustrated myself, and often, and the thought processes become deeply impaired by rage. Sure.

But then you intentionally AVOID patching and call that a fix? That's negligent at best, and criminal at worst. My doors kept squeaking, and I don't have time for that. I ripped em all out and stored them in the garage till I have time. In other news, lots of my *$^@ seems to be missing, and I have new roommates. Seems legit.
Siglessness is boring.
Image - M4800-Eight1
Image - Vargr-Z97
Forge
Lord High Gerbil
 
Posts: 8010
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2001 7:00 pm
Location: SouthEast PA

Re: Son off to college with laptop: Win 7 or Win 8.1?

Postposted on Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:34 am

Forge wrote:
kvndoom wrote:I haven't even done any Windows updates yet because I'm not ready to deal with the aggravation a second time.


Ok, I can understand part of your thought processes, but DEAR LOVING GORD, why would ANYONE send ANYONE out into the world with an unpatched Windows machine? Did you knit sweaters that said "kick me" on them, or give them condoms with holes pre-poked???

Sure, in this one particular case, there was something wrong, and rather than fix it, you burned it down. OK. Sure. I've been frustrated myself, and often, and the thought processes become deeply impaired by rage. Sure.

But then you intentionally AVOID patching and call that a fix? That's negligent at best, and criminal at worst. My doors kept squeaking, and I don't have time for that. I ripped em all out and stored them in the garage till I have time. In other news, lots of my *$^@ seems to be missing, and I have new roommates. Seems legit.

You really should calm down. You missed the "paperweight" part apparently. She's not using it at all. She hasn't touched the computer since a couple weeks ago when she told me "everything is really slow," which started all this in the first place. She doesn't have her account set up yet, and doesn't know my admin password.
"No I don't want the Ask toolbar! No I don't want Bing as my default search! No I don't want to make Chrome my default browser!"
"Good grief, man! WHAT are you trying to install on that poor computer?"
"Antivirus."
kvndoom
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
 
Posts: 2395
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 11:47 pm
Location: Communistwealth of Virginia

Re: Son off to college with laptop: Win 7 or Win 8.1?

Postposted on Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:48 am

Ah, I misunderstood. My apologies.
Siglessness is boring.
Image - M4800-Eight1
Image - Vargr-Z97
Forge
Lord High Gerbil
 
Posts: 8010
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2001 7:00 pm
Location: SouthEast PA

Re: Son off to college with laptop: Win 7 or Win 8.1?

Postposted on Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:19 pm

Who's your son going to call for tech support? If it's you, I'd go with whatever you prefer to work in. If it's campus IT, I'd shoot them an email and ask what they officially support. Connecting to campus wifi/network resources shouldn't be too onerous, but some library resources/online catalogs break in fun ways if you use a browser/OS that's newer than expected.

Personally, I think going with Win8 plus custom shells is asking for a late-night phone call because no one knows how to troubleshoot his laptop and that final paper's due tomorrow.
tu2thepoo
Gerbil Team Leader
 
Posts: 242
Joined: Thu Aug 15, 2002 3:42 pm
Location: WEBSITE OFF THE STARBOARD BROWSER, CAP'N!

Re: Son off to college with laptop: Win 7 or Win 8.1?

Postposted on Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:25 pm

Support for Windows 7 ends in January 2020 (meaning, most importantly, no security patches after that). It's honestly not that uncommon for people to hold onto systems for 5 years or longer. Knowing that, I really feel like you have to go with Windows 8.1 at this point, unless its your own and you know it's going to be replaced/rebuilt.

As others have said, install a 3rd party start menu add on or not, depending on preference. But stick with what's current.
absurdity
Gerbil Elite
 
Posts: 870
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: VT

Re: Son off to college with laptop: Win 7 or Win 8.1?

Postposted on Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:52 pm

absurdity wrote:Support for Windows 7 ends in January 2020 (meaning, most importantly, no security patches after that). It's honestly not that uncommon for people to hold onto systems for 5 years or longer. Knowing that, I really feel like you have to go with Windows 8.1 at this point, unless its your own and you know it's going to be replaced/rebuilt.

That may be the scheduled date at this point in time but it will be pushed out due to business adoption of Win7 and collective "meh"-ing of Win8.
He who laughs last, laughs first next time.
ludi
Gerbil Elder
 
Posts: 5427
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2002 10:47 pm
Location: Sunny Colorado front range

Re: Son off to college with laptop: Win 7 or Win 8.1?

Postposted on Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:59 pm

ludi wrote:
absurdity wrote:Support for Windows 7 ends in January 2020 (meaning, most importantly, no security patches after that). It's honestly not that uncommon for people to hold onto systems for 5 years or longer. Knowing that, I really feel like you have to go with Windows 8.1 at this point, unless its your own and you know it's going to be replaced/rebuilt.

That may be the scheduled date at this point in time but it will be pushed out due to business adoption of Win7 and collective "meh"-ing of Win8.

Actually, if Win8+1 or Win8+2 turns out to be popular, they will try to push those instead. So I would not count on 7 enjoying the same leniency as XP.
Image
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.
Flying Fox
Gerbil God
 
Posts: 24375
Joined: Mon May 24, 2004 2:19 am

Re: Son off to college with laptop: Win 7 or Win 8.1?

Postposted on Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:34 pm

ludi wrote:
absurdity wrote:Support for Windows 7 ends in January 2020 (meaning, most importantly, no security patches after that). It's honestly not that uncommon for people to hold onto systems for 5 years or longer. Knowing that, I really feel like you have to go with Windows 8.1 at this point, unless its your own and you know it's going to be replaced/rebuilt.

That may be the scheduled date at this point in time but it will be pushed out due to business adoption of Win7 and collective "meh"-ing of Win8.


Far from a certain thing. Now that they've been through this process with XP, I feel like they're less likely to do it again.
absurdity
Gerbil Elite
 
Posts: 870
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: VT

Re: Son off to college with laptop: Win 7 or Win 8.1?

Postposted on Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:32 am

Personally I'd say stick with bone-stock 8.1 and call it a day. It is perfectly workable for anyone, and power users can add the little Metro skipper if they want. Personally I like it stock.
Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God
 
Posts: 21294
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2004 4:53 pm
Location: Orlando, FL

Next

Return to Windows

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 3 guests