Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

killadark
Gerbil XP

Re: Son off to college with laptop: Win 7 or Win 8.1?

Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:33 pm

wow i had no idea people were so obsessed with the start menu ya its a bad thing its gone but i never found my self using the start menu for anything but searching and shutting down after windows vista
win 8.1 is great after select start at desktop if u want to access my comp use the shortcut key way more convenient...

seriously whats the big deal in a change man its like moving away from win xp all over again lol
AMD FX-8350|Asus M5A97 LE R2.0|16gb GSKILL Sniper 2400mhz|Samsung SSD 120g 840|AMD R9 290 TRI-X (dead) GTX1070
Corsair RM650x,Thermaltake Xaser vi ,Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi Titanium Sound Card

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:41 pm

killadark wrote:
seriously whats the big deal in a change man its like moving away from win xp all over again lol

Some of thought the UI changes from W98/W2K to XP were too much (says one who tries to run a UI as close to W2K as possible).
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:51 pm

The idea that you would even consider having to send a student off to college with an OS that was replaced two years ago is ridiculous. By the time that he graduates, there will have been at least another generation of operating system releases for old, inflexible curmudgeons to have complained about. His young brain is still adaptable enough not to have become a hidebound fuddy-duddy stuck on bygone ways of doing things.
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

killadark
Gerbil XP

Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:34 pm

JustAnEngineer wrote:
The idea that you would even consider having to send a student off to college with an OS that was replaced two years ago is ridiculous. By the time that he graduates, there will have been at least another generation of operating system releases for old, inflexible curmudgeons to have complained about. His young brain is still adaptable enough not to have become a hidebound fuddy-duddy stuck on bygone ways of doing things.

Where is the like button i want in NOW!
that's exactly what i was thinking but dint post since it would be too harsh? :P
anyways u have earned a like
AMD FX-8350|Asus M5A97 LE R2.0|16gb GSKILL Sniper 2400mhz|Samsung SSD 120g 840|AMD R9 290 TRI-X (dead) GTX1070
Corsair RM650x,Thermaltake Xaser vi ,Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi Titanium Sound Card

AbRASiON

Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:53 pm

Windows 7, screw the frustration of 8, it's the next ME / Vista
In 3 years time it'll be replaced with something decent.

sweatshopking
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:20 pm

YOUR SON IS OLD ENOUGH TO CHANGE AND PICK HIMSELF. IF HE WANTS THE STARTMENU HE CAN INSTALL IT ON HIS OWN. HE'S DAMN NEAR 30.

LASR
Gerbil First Class

Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:27 pm

I know this isn't really relevant to the discussion. But Windows 8.1 frequently disconnects my external drives. This drives me absolutely nuts. For this reason alone, I recommend sticking to Win7.

chµck
Gerbil Team Leader

Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:57 pm

LASR wrote:
I know this isn't really relevant to the discussion. But Windows 8.1 frequently disconnects my external drives. This drives me absolutely nuts. For this reason alone, I recommend sticking to Win7.

Probably your motherboard or shoddy drivers.
Trump 2020

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:49 pm

JustAnEngineer wrote:

Mostly this.

Also, I'm surprised that this discussion is ongoing- Windows 8.1 + Start8, and call it done. If that doesn't work, computing may not be for you.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:14 am

Airmantharp wrote:
JustAnEngineer wrote:

Mostly this.

Also, I'm surprised that this discussion is ongoing- Windows 8.1 + Start8, and call it done. If that doesn't work, computing may not be for you.

One side of the argument actually is "kids are young enough to adapt, so stock Win8.1 may be just fine".
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:53 am

Flying Fox wrote:
Actually, if Win8+1 or Win8+2 turns out to be popular, they will try to push those instead. So I would not count on 7 enjoying the same leniency as XP.

They can try to push whatever they want but they can't afford to lose the business market, especially now that mobile devices are taking over in the consumer sector and fewer consumers are purchasing the magic Windows/Office combination. Remember how many times they tried to kill XP, but couldn't? After all was said and done, the absolute, EOL, drop-dead, We're-Really-Not-Kidding-This-Time date for ending XP security updates was...April of this year. Keep in mind the RTM of Vista, which was intended to replace it, was Fall 2006 and the RTM of Windows 7, which actually has replaced it, was Fall of 2009.

Windows 8 is a moderately better OS "under the hood" and Microsoft may be able to get business-market adoption if they can suck in their pride and roll back the Metro nonsense far enough on some future "Enterprise" release, but if I had to bet the farm, I would lay odds on another service pack (in practical reality, if not in name) for Windows 7 that covers at least the Pro/Enterprise versions.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:02 am

Lest people get the wrong idea, I'm all for the under-the-hood improvements in the core OS. I just want MS to give us the option of using prior UIs with newer OSs.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

w76
Gerbil

Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:52 am

Buub wrote:
Savyg wrote:
Buub wrote:
I wouldn't wish Win8 on anyone. Every time I try to fix something on my daughter's laptop it drives me insane just trying to find basic things and do basic tasks.

Stick with Win7.

Have you tried search? It's done the same way as in Vista and 7, click on the start button and start typing.

Or right clicking in the lower left, where most of the power tools can be easily accessed now?

Methinks your lack of experience with it is the only problem.

Uh yeah, that's the first place I repeatedly end up. And even that's more onerous than it should be, because it's separate from the desktop. But search doesn't always find stuff because you have to know what you're searching for is called. Try looking for Windows Update using either of those words.

I'll admit to having trouble, the first time I used Win8, figuring out how to shut the darn thing off. And I hate Metro as much as the next guy, probably more.

But lets not take it too far. One should know Update can be found in the same place it's been found for over a decade, in the Control Panel, along with... virtually everything else worth mentioning.

In fact, the very first thing I ever pinned to a taskbar once that became an option was the Control Panel, and I've kept it pinned ever since. Huge time saver, but that goes back long before Win8.

MarkG509
Gerbil Elite

Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:15 am

Microsoft has announced end of life (for mainstream support) for all flavors of Windows 7 as 1/13/2015. If your son starts off on Win 7, he'll need to change to Win 8+ (or something else, perhaps Linux) anyway.

LostCat
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:42 am

MarkG509 wrote:
Microsoft has announced end of life (for mainstream support) for all flavors of Windows 7 as 1/13/2015. If your son starts off on Win 7, he'll need to change to Win 8+ (or something else, perhaps Linux) anyway.

For new features yes, but extended support is still support.

Let's not pretend the end of mainstream support is the end of the world here.
Meow.