Setting up file sharing permissions

Monopoly money comes in many flavors: 7, Vista, XP, 2K, ME, 98, etc.

Moderators: Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

Setting up file sharing permissions

Postposted on Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:41 am

I have to setup Windows file sharing for a few computers in an office setting. The server (Vista Business) has one user (admin) and it shares one folder publicly. I'd like to create a folder that only one specific user account on another computer within the same workgroup can access.

Do I have to recreate that user account on the server with the same password too? This sounds like a hacky solution. It sounds like creating a domain would solve all of these user account synchronization issues, but then the other computers need to sometimes be able to work while the server is shut down. Is recreating user accounts on the server the standard, proper solution?
Mothership: Thuban 1055T@3.7GHz, 12GB DDR3, M5A99X EVO, GTX470+Icy Vision Rev.2@840/3800, Vertex 2E 60GB
Supply ship: Sargas@2.8GHz, 12GB DDR3, M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3
Corsair: Macbook Air Ivy Bridge
Crayon Shin Chan
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: Setting up file sharing permissions

Postposted on Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:53 am

Crayon Shin Chan wrote:Do I have to recreate that user account on the server with the same password too? This sounds like a hacky solution. It sounds like creating a domain would solve all of these user account synchronization issues, but then the other computers need to sometimes be able to work while the server is shut down. Is recreating user accounts on the server the standard, proper solution?

AFAIK that is standard practice with a workgroup setup. Since you don't have Windows 7 and up you don't get to use Homegroups. A domain is overkill, but the server does not need to be up all the time though.
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.
Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Re: Setting up file sharing permissions

Postposted on Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:12 am

You can duplicate the account on the server (or really use any username) and set all the share/NTFS permissions there, then have the user log in with the server name as the domain and the user account name on the server (SERVERNAME\User). If the user is running Windows 7/8 it is pretty good about saving credentials for a different computer or a domain it's not part of.
deputy dawg
Gerbil

Return to Windows