Trying to convince Windows 2008R2 and PRTG to cohabitate

Monopoly money comes in many flavors: 7, Vista, XP, 2K, ME, 98, etc.

Moderators: Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

Trying to convince Windows 2008R2 and PRTG to cohabitate

Postposted on Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:29 pm

I'm running Windows 2008R2 in an Virtualbox VM, and I've installed Paessler's PRTG. I've added IIS and NPS to the 2008 server (so I can use radius for dot1x auth), and want to use PRTG for SYSLOG, SNMP, Netflow, and QoS/SLA monitoring. All this is for a GNS3 sim topology.

So far, I have a simple ethernetswitch, with 2 2610XM routers attached, along with a 2008R2 server VM, and a host VM running Haiku. They're all using UDP Tunneling, and can communicate back and forth.

I've got everything installed, and it *seems* to be working, but the 2008R2 VM is throwing up errors and warnings I wanted to ask you folks about:

Error I get in the PRTG Console

Here's what it says when I click on it

This is the only error IIS gives me. I already ran the best practices scan.

Here's the error message up close.

Here's what the NPS server says. I only want to run radius, so does this matter?

Close up of NPS error

What's odd, is that the PRTG Guru opens up in IE just fine on the 2008R2 server

I can even open it in whatever browser Haiku uses

*BONUS*

Anybody know enough about this little guy, to help me get the networking part configured? You'll win the fable "Marvel No-Prize", if you do!

Also, anybody know where to download the NT4 compliant version Netware Client32? I've got a NW5.1 server running in Virtualbox, but without client32, I can't log into NDS, and then grab nwadmin32 from sys:public. And NT4 HATES talking to any other VM in GNS3, excepting that Netware server. go figure.
Hz so good
Gerbil Elite

Re: Trying to convince Windows 2008R2 and PRTG to cohabitate

Postposted on Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:37 pm

PRTG and 2008R2 working (don't even need a web server for it). All sensors work, and everything is hunky dory. I can even admin it from my Haiku box. I don't know why NPS relies on IIS7 (i just wanna run Radius), but I'll worry about those errors later.

Oh, and for those following along at home, so far in Virtualbox I've gotten MS-DOS6.22, NT4sp6a, Plan9, Haiku, Linux Mint 17, Win98SE, 2008R2 Enterprise Server, and a Netware 5.1server, and have been able to use all of them in a GNS3 topology with multiple simulated routers and switches (using Dynamips and real IOS images).
Hz so good
Gerbil Elite

Return to Windows