Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

videobruce
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Mon Apr 01, 2002 7:58 am

Where in the registry can I get rid of the annoying dialog box that warns you each time you move or change items in the start menu?

zgirl
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Apr 01, 2002 12:08 pm

Are you talking about when you click and drag an item in the start menu, slide it over another folder? Then after you release the mouse button, windows asks you if you really want to do this?

I don't organize my start menu this way. Too easy to screw things up and drop stuff in the wrong location.

I right click on the start button and select 'explore', do that again and select 'explore all' Tile the two windows and then move things around as I want them. No annoying message boxes and I can open the hierarchy to see all the sub folders at once. Much easier.
"I used to think the brain was the most amazing organ in the entire body. Then I realized who was telling me this."
If ignorance were painful, half the posters here would be on morphine drips.

videobruce
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Mon Apr 01, 2002 2:39 pm

Yes I am...........Just easier than opening up explorer which I rarely use.

I tried it your way, but the 2nd time I right clicked start, there wasn't a 'explore all' choice.

Also, there is a item in the start menu that ISN'T in the explorer view.

HowardDrake
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Apr 01, 2002 3:58 pm

And don't forget, that start menu items are stored in 2 places on 2K and XP, both under the Documents and Settings folder. One folder for the user account, and one for all users. I've seen people get confused in the Explorer when moving things around.
No wonder television's a medium. It's so seldom rare or well done. -Mighty Mouse

videobruce
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Mon Apr 01, 2002 7:28 pm

I'm running 2k as a administartor, so the 2nd setting doesn't matter.
I just want to get rid of that damn warning box!