Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SecretSquirrel, notfred

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Re: Solid alternatives to Debian

Sat May 02, 2015 11:13 am

just brew it! wrote:
TBH I'm not a huge fan of KDE's start menu either, but in the grand scheme of things that's not a deal-breaker. KDE is currently my daily use DE.

This is my desktop layout. Taskbar at the bottom, launchers for all of my frequently used applications on an auto-hide panel at the left, virtual desktop switcher in the upper left corner, status widgets in the upper right corner, and desktop set to folder view (instead of whatever they call that weird mode it defaults to). I leave the top center panel area empty, since when I run VMs that's where the VirtualBox or VMware system bar goes, and I like to keep the layouts relatively consistent between my "real" machines and my VMs. I also set up global hotkeys to navigate between (and send windows to) each virtual desktop, and to control the music player (since I tend to buy keyboards without media keys).

That's a pretty decent idea, actually. I'll trial it in a virtual machine and see how I like it, thanks!
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

Flatland_Spider
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sat May 02, 2015 12:27 pm

Dirge wrote:
Next up I tried KDE which I have fond memories of but haven't uses in several years. I felt the latest spin of KDE was disappointing, being the sluggiest to load and I can only describe it as a bit of a throw back to the 90s with is start menu layout feeling like it got in my way. Strangely after installing KDE Ubuntu now became Kubuntu at boot time.

KDE relies heavily on the video card drivers. If it's sluggish, it's because the 3D performance of the video drivers aren't great.

KDE5 changes the start menu to something a little more like the old 3.5 menu, and you can change back to the older 3.5 style in the menu settings in KDE4.

Kinda bummed with the experience of trying out different desktop environments on Ubuntu. Hopefully its not as bad with other distros.

The experience is better in other distros, it is at least in Fedora. I've installed Enlightenment, KDE, Gnome, Xfce, Xmonad, Ratpoison, i3, and others in Fedora without a problem. Fedora really does try to modular and keep things from interfering with each other.

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Mon May 04, 2015 9:31 pm

bthylafh wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
TBH I'm not a huge fan of KDE's start menu either, but in the grand scheme of things that's not a deal-breaker. KDE is currently my daily use DE.

This is my desktop layout. Taskbar at the bottom, launchers for all of my frequently used applications on an auto-hide panel at the left, virtual desktop switcher in the upper left corner, status widgets in the upper right corner, and desktop set to folder view (instead of whatever they call that weird mode it defaults to). I leave the top center panel area empty, since when I run VMs that's where the VirtualBox or VMware system bar goes, and I like to keep the layouts relatively consistent between my "real" machines and my VMs. I also set up global hotkeys to navigate between (and send windows to) each virtual desktop, and to control the music player (since I tend to buy keyboards without media keys).

That's a pretty decent idea, actually. I'll trial it in a virtual machine and see how I like it, thanks!

I ended up implementing the (to me) interesting parts in Xfce instead, whose panels are easier to deal with. Bonus: the Whisker Menu extension makes for a pretty decent start menu, complete with Win7-style search field and easy resizing.
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

DrCR
Gerbil XP

Tue May 12, 2015 4:57 pm

I'll put in a plug for Slackware. If you would like a 'desktopized' version of Slackware, I would recommend Salix.

Dirge wrote:
I enjoy the user experience of running Debian stable along with the apt package manager. I don't want to become chained to any one distribution and was wondering if anyone could suggest a similarly robust distro worth trying out? I guess I would prefer to avoid a rolling release as I don't think it can guarantee the stability I am used to.

DrCR
Gerbil XP

Tue May 12, 2015 5:03 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Yeah, I kind of get the impression that many (if not most) Debian developers and users are insular, long-time, hard core Open Source evangelists...

Which is why I'm surprised they went with systemd, as it does not seem to fit with *nix philosophy.

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue May 12, 2015 6:39 pm

DrCR wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
Yeah, I kind of get the impression that many (if not most) Debian developers and users are insular, long-time, hard core Open Source evangelists...

Which is why I'm surprised they went with systemd, as it does not seem to fit with *nix philosophy.

The rumor I heard was that the Ubuntu people (Ubuntu being Debian's biggest direct downstream distro) were really pushing for it. Which, on the surface, is also bizarre, since Ubuntu has their own init replacement (upstart). I suppose if I took the time to understand all the politics involved it might make more sense. Or maybe not.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Flatland_Spider
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue May 12, 2015 7:38 pm

Systemd makes sense for desktops and phones. It follows the style of OS X's launchd and Windows' service loop, and I was more shocked Canonicial was holding on to upstart after systemd was released.

DrCR wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

It doesn't fit the *nix philosophy. It's giant monolith of software that patches over the kernel's poor IPC.

A lot of the old guard has been replaced by new turks, and the new turks aren't as steeped in *nix philosophy as the old guard.

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Tue May 12, 2015 10:22 pm

just brew it! wrote:
DrCR wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

The rumor I heard was that the Ubuntu people (Ubuntu being Debian's biggest direct downstream distro) were really pushing for it. Which, on the surface, is also bizarre, since Ubuntu has their own init replacement (upstart). I suppose if I took the time to understand all the politics involved it might make more sense. Or maybe not.

It's my understanding that Debian and Ubuntu's people don't get along that well anymore, or they didn't at one time. This is why they're no longer compatible with one another: you can't install one's packages on the other.
Hakkaa päälle!

Glorious
Gerbilus Supremus

Wed May 13, 2015 6:11 am

JBI wrote:

It was the other way around. Debian went for systemd first. Canonical just went with the flow of the upstream and dropped upstart. I obviously don't know the internal politics of Ubuntu, but at least publicly they explicitly said that they "lost."

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed May 13, 2015 7:31 am

Glorious wrote:
JBI wrote:

It was the other way around. Debian went for systemd first. Canonical just went with the flow of the upstream and dropped upstart. I obviously don't know the internal politics of Ubuntu, but at least publicly they explicitly said that they "lost."

Ahh, but there are Canonical employees on the Debian committee. According to a friend who is a long-time Debian user, and much closer to the Linux community than I am (he's done some Linux kernel hacking and had patches accepted upstream), the rumor is that it wasn't as simple as "Debian (systemd) vs. Canonical (upstart)". </tinfoil-hat-mode>
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Wed May 13, 2015 7:34 am

just brew it! wrote:
Ahh, but there are Canonical employees on the Debian committee. According to a friend who is a long-time Debian user, and much closer to the Linux community than I am (he's done some Linux kernel hacking and had patches accepted upstream), the rumor is that it wasn't as simple as "Debian (systemd) vs. Canonical (upstart)". </tinfoil-hat-mode>

Why does this not surprise me?
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

Glorious
Gerbilus Supremus

Wed May 13, 2015 7:36 am

JBI wrote:

Internal politics then, I guess. <shrug>

It wouldn't be the first time that the Ubuntu ship was steered from below as opposed to from up top.

Chuckaluphagus
Gerbil Elite

Wed May 13, 2015 8:37 am

bthylafh wrote:
It's my understanding that Debian and Ubuntu's people don't get along that well anymore, or they didn't at one time. This is why they're no longer compatible with one another: you can't install one's packages on the other.

What? Since when? I've never run into any trouble installing generic .deb packages on Ubuntu installs.

(Well, I have, but more because of bad package construction/very weird dependencies, not because of system incompatibility.)

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Fri May 15, 2015 12:14 pm

Chuckaluphagus wrote:
bthylafh wrote:

What? Since when? I've never run into any trouble installing generic .deb packages on Ubuntu installs.

(Well, I have, but more because of bad package construction/very weird dependencies, not because of system incompatibility.)

*shrug* I've read in a few different places that you can't take a Debian .deb (presumably one from their archive) and it be guaranteed to work on Ubuntu. Certainly you can't mix and match the archives in your /etc/apt/sources.list file.
Hakkaa päälle!

jmcknight
Gerbil

Fri May 22, 2015 5:37 pm

Flatland_Spider wrote:
Systemd makes sense for desktops and phones. It follows the style of OS X's launchd and Windows' service loop, and I was more shocked Canonicial was holding on to upstart after systemd was released.

DrCR wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

It doesn't fit the *nix philosophy. It's giant monolith of software that patches over the kernel's poor IPC.

A lot of the old guard has been replaced by new turks, and the new turks aren't as steeped in *nix philosophy as the old guard.

The "UNIX Philosophy" that people keep using as an argument angle against systemd is useless. I'm pretty sure many parts of the Linux kernel don't honour it either. Binary blobs and a bunch of ways to interface with non-free and code/license incompatible drivers are probably also not "UNIX philosophy" either.

No one whines about that, though.
AMD A10 7800, Gigabyte GA-F2A88XN-WIFI, 16GB DDR3-1600 Corsair XMS3, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB, 2 WD RE4 500GB SATA III (RAID1), Cooler Master Elite 130
Powered by openSUSE 13.2

jmcknight
Gerbil

Fri May 22, 2015 5:42 pm

I'm also throwing openSUSE out there as a recommendation. While it's not technically enterprise grade like its SLED kin, it's rock solid when you're running the regular release and not Tumbleweed. I'm in the planning stages of deploying it on all development machines when my business opens our office space.
AMD A10 7800, Gigabyte GA-F2A88XN-WIFI, 16GB DDR3-1600 Corsair XMS3, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB, 2 WD RE4 500GB SATA III (RAID1), Cooler Master Elite 130
Powered by openSUSE 13.2

PenGun
Gerbil Elite

Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:09 pm

Run Slackware, man up. Sytemd is just the logical conclusion to Sys V which was always heresy.

BSD init is the one true way. You have control.
Fuji X-E1 Leica Elmar 135 4 XF60mm 2.4 Macro | Zeiss FE 35mm 2.8
http://carnagepro.com
"Everything ... they eat everything, and fear is their bacon bits."

jmcknight
Gerbil

Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:24 pm

PenGun wrote:
Run Slackware, man up. Sytemd is just the logical conclusion to Sys V which was always heresy.

I agree. Slackware totally makes you masculine in the same way that a super hairy chest, Speedos, and the year 1998 are all entirely relevant in 2015.
Powered by openSUSE 13.2

Flatland_Spider
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:23 am

PenGun wrote:

Quoted for the truth.

Although, run Gentoo. Compiling from source is the real way to install software. None of this pre-compiled binary junk. ;)

jmcknight wrote:
The "UNIX Philosophy" that people keep using as an argument angle against systemd is useless. I'm pretty sure many parts of the Linux kernel don't honour it either. Binary blobs and a bunch of ways to interface with non-free and code/license incompatible drivers are probably also not "UNIX philosophy" either.

You're confusing GNU's philosophy of unencumbered software with the Unix Philosophy. GNU doesn't want binary blobs and other software which impedes people's personal freedom, and part of that freedom is to inspect and modify the code which runs on their system and to freely distribute the code. Thus, no binary blobs or proprietary code.

The Unix Philosophy on the other hand, doesn't care about any of that. It's general guidelines about software engineering, and it has nothing to do with license politics. (http://www.faqs.org/docs/artu/ch01s06.html)

jmcknight wrote:
Slackware totally makes you masculine in the same way that a super hairy chest, Speedos, and the year 1998 are all entirely relevant in 2015.

I know some girls who would disagree with that. ;)

Concupiscence
Gerbil Elite

Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:35 am

jmcknight wrote:
I agree. Slackware totally makes you masculine in the same way that a super hairy chest, Speedos, and the year 1998 are all entirely relevant in 2015.

I'd never make the argument from masculinity, and can't imagine who still is.* But Slackware hasn't stayed in one place since the '90s, and skewing conservative in its underpinnings while offering up to date packages and an experience in line with mainline Linux works really well. It's not my job to sell others on it, but the umpteenth instance of "lol slackware is OLD" grates.

Flatland_Spider wrote:
Although, run Gentoo. Compiling from source is the real way to install software. None of this pre-compiled binary junk. ;)

SlackBuilds give you the best of both worlds - pop it into the same folder as the source code, compile, and presto - you wind up with a package that can be backed up for later or shared.

* edit: Well, aside from PenGun. But I think he was jokingly urging you to embrace the challenge of it, because it can be really rewarding.
Science: Core i9 7940x, 64 gigs RAM, Vega FE, Xubuntu 20.04
Work: Ryzen 5 3600, 32 gigs RAM, Radeon RX 580, Win10 Pro
Tinker: Core i5 2400, 8 gigs RAM, Radeon R9 280x, Xubuntu 20.04 + MS-DOS 7.10

Read me at https://www.wallabyjones.com/

jmcknight
Gerbil

Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:22 pm

Whenever people hate on Systemd, I always suggest one thing and if anything it celebrates the wonders of open source and the modern internet. If it's really so bad, create something better. Hell, you can even fork it or you can fork sysvinit and make it better than what you perceive Systemd to be. Don't have the skills, learn and obtain these skills *then* write something better. You can even crowdfund this sort of thing.

Or you can just not use Linux too.