Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SecretSquirrel, notfred

malebolgia
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

SuSe the way to go?

Tue Apr 09, 2002 4:02 pm

I'm trying to decide which Linux to get RedHat or SuSe from what I've been hearing SuSe is the way to go. However you have to pay for it, which doesn't bother me.

absurdity
Gerbil Elite

Tue Apr 09, 2002 5:45 pm

I've never used Suse, but I've heard nothing but good things about it. Are you new to Linux, though? If so, you may want to try redhat or mandrake, usually the people who go for Suse either have experience with Linux already, or are just brave. But that's just my opinion.

Speed
Gerbil Elite

Tue Apr 09, 2002 6:26 pm

SuSE is a fine distribution, and so are several others. Which one you choose depends largely on what you want to do.

If you're new to Linux, then I would recommend Mandrake, since it has the best installer and graphical utilities. If you're learning Linux to boost your professional credentials, ie. to become a Linux admin, then Red Hat is the only way to go. SuSE is great for those who want to try out just about every Linux app there is.
You are false data.

malebolgia
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Be new no way

Tue Apr 09, 2002 8:50 pm

I'm not new to linux I use RedHat to run two High School servers in my town. Plus I've been using it for over two years to me that eliminates the newbie. I mainly want to try SuSe because of what I've been hearing. However I'm not sure of the differences between RedHat and SuSe.

Speed
Gerbil Elite

Tue Apr 09, 2002 9:27 pm

The differences between Red Hat and SuSE are too numerous to list here, but I'd sum it up by saying that SuSE is more of a workstation distro and Red Hat is more of a server distro. That's not to say that you can't build a perfectly good server system using SuSE; in fact you can if you want to. It's not that Red Hat is superior per se, it's more about the ubiquity of Red Hat server systems and Red Hat administrators. You're more likely to get help and support down the road if you choose Red Hat.
You are false data.

malebolgia
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Down the road

Tue Apr 09, 2002 9:53 pm

I'll probably use it to create a little network within my house and use it for programming, and fun little things like that. Plus I think it would be fun using SuSe. Do you know where I can go to find out the differences between RedHat and SuSe?

Speed
Gerbil Elite

Tue Apr 09, 2002 10:13 pm

Oops, my bad -- I thought that you were talking about adding more servers. If it's for home use, you might want to try out SuSE, which comes bundled with a whole lot of desktop applications. That's really the SuSE claim to fame -- many discs of software. Aside from that, the only real difference is the proprietary software in each distribution. For installation and system configuration, Red Hat has Lizard, and SuSE has YaST. You'll have to decide which is better. You can find out about them at their respective websites.

To be fair I'd like to point out that if you have a broadband Internet connection, you can always download the free software that comes bundled with SuSE, and install it on any system. That's the nice thing about free software. It's just more convenient to have it all in one place.
You are false data.

malebolgia
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Thanks

Tue Apr 09, 2002 10:28 pm

Well thanks for helping me decide which Linux to go with I really appreciate it.