Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SecretSquirrel, notfred

tdk2fe
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Newbie question about installing

Thu Apr 18, 2002 4:36 pm

Recently, I wanted to put Linux on my computer to play around with it. I've never really had any direct experience with linux, so I thought i'd get a couple of manuals and play around with it. Well, I tried three different installers (Redhat, Mandrake, and SuSe), and the problem I encountered with all three of them was, while the installer was running when I would first boot the computer, it seemed to load about halfway and then always freeze up. I tried a several different methods for installing, but to no avail.

This is the system i'm using:
Dell P3-800
512MB Crucial
30GB Quantum Fireball 7200

Any insight as to what my problem could be would really help me out. Thanks!

q_bot_w11
Gerbil

Thu Apr 18, 2002 4:43 pm

In mandrake installer (I am a newbie and have only used mandrake) there's an option not to start x when it first starts. (YOu start it with the command 'startx' afterwards). Try no starting x and see'f you can boot up properly like that....

Like I said - I am a newbie so can't really help you from there but it might be a start (maybe download a later version of XFree form there). Hopefully if that works the people who know what they're talking about can help you do that :)

prsha
Gerbil

Tue Apr 23, 2002 12:10 am

a few questions before you get your help ;)

1. do you have windows running on the HD you're installing linux onto?
-if so, is it taking the whole HD?
2. be more spicific on your problem, error message or what?

jamnog
Gerbil In Training

well im having a similar problem perhaps

Mon Jun 03, 2002 9:07 am

ive been wandering around the web looking for a quick fix to this problem. the installer gets to could not uncompress second stage ram disk. this could be a hardware error or a kernell bug i have seen topics on the subject for a while and none of the computer stats seem verry relevent some of them say things like if you have different ram values it can affect it some say its because you hve too much ram. i think its because i have two hard drives on the same cable or because there is a problem reading the ram disk from the dvd drive :o i dont know if i can fix it like this i have tryed all sorts of trick with taking out hard ware and swapping things around i have even found a new kernell on the cover of a magazine. im shure you can dl a new kernel. i think it must be a hard ware error tho as i could not install any of the version of mandrake i have
:( im not shure how i put on one of those groovy pictures.