Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SecretSquirrel, notfred

Savage DDR
Gerbil
Topic Author

How old is too old? (computers that is)

Fri May 24, 2002 1:37 pm

attempting to install mandrake linux 8.2 on an old...
lets see here...
an old compaq prolinea 4/33
133mhz evergreen technologies processor (486 66mhz upgrade to 586 / almost pentium status)
24mb ram
4gb hard drive
sound blaster 16
reveal vc300 true color supervga adapter
32x cdrom drive
3-1/2 drive
windows 98 se...

insert disks, restart system and the boot disk reads, i get the screen where it prompts you to press f1 for options or enter to install, pressed enter...
brings up the blank screen with blue header and footer, it reads from the cdrom...
blank screen with blue header, a few minutes pass by, get a soda, use the restroom...
and then the error message appears -

in second stage install
install exited abnormally :-(
sending termination signals...done
sending kill signals...done
unmounting filesystems
/proc
/tmp/image
you may safely reboot your system

first off when did operating systems start using sad faces :-(
second is it my computer?
and third is there a way i can fix this? (besides the obvious fact of throwing the computer out the window)
Athlon XP 2400+, 1GB PC2100, GeForce3TI500, and still alive and kicking.

dolemitecomputers
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri May 24, 2002 2:47 pm

How are you planning to install this? I noticed you are running windows 98. Have you partitioned the linux partition and swap file partition?

dolemitecomputers

Fri May 24, 2002 2:59 pm

Also there is a little more to the install than that. Are you able to go throught the steps like setting up the a network connection, printer, users, etc.? Or is it stopping before even getting to that point?

jsbach11
Gerbil Elite

Re: How old is too old? (computers that is)

Fri May 24, 2002 3:32 pm

Savage DDR wrote:
first off when did operating systems start using sad faces :-(

An old version of Slackware Linux that I had had all kinds of jokes and mispellings and stuff. I thought it was kinda' irritating, but it worked well. If you write a distro, you can apparently say whatever you want.

Steel
Global Moderator

Fri May 24, 2002 6:39 pm

Ok, you're not going to get Mandrake 8.2 installed on that machine, the lowest machine it'll install on is a Pentium. You might be better off trying RedHat or Slackware instead. That Evergreen upgrade may call itself a "586" but it's not.

Savage DDR
Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri May 24, 2002 9:23 pm

ahhh well thx steel, albeit that advise i ripped the old hard drive out of the old system, then mounted it as a slave and reformated the damn thing.
then i set it up as the primary master and installed mandrake linux successfully on it, which is now where i am composing this message from...
now the only bloddy thing i have to do is get windows xp to play nicely along with linux
Athlon XP 2400+, 1GB PC2100, GeForce3TI500, and still alive and kicking.

SecretSquirrel

Mon Aug 12, 2002 9:51 pm

As you found out, Steel is right. Though, once you have it all installed, if you feel adventurous enough to do a kernel recompile, you might be able to run it on that old system. The problem is, most likely, the install kernel is optimized for a Pentiun or higher class machine. If you compile the kernel for an i386 class machine, it should run fine.

I actually did this for an old 386sx-25 (yes it was overclocked). Installed on a Pentium class machine. Recompiled the kernel for a 386, made sure everything worked, then moved the HDD over. Worked like a charm.

-SS