Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SecretSquirrel, notfred

Bruce
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Fri Dec 28, 2001 4:11 am

....and anyone using it for more than firewalling?

Bruce

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Fri Dec 28, 2001 5:20 am

Well.. I downloaded FreeBSD and was all set to love it... Then it notified me that it won't work with any of the NICs I have around, except for the two in my Linux/Win32 main machine.

Sometimes life sucks.

As soon as there's support for either the SiS MII NIC on my BookPC or the Realtek 8139 cards I have around here in such quantity, I'll have a BSD box.

What are the relative merits of Open/Free/NetBSD? I've never gotten a clear answer.

Bruce
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Fri Dec 28, 2001 7:28 am

Hi,

The 8139 is supported - have a look at the HARDWARE.TXT file on your CD or local mirror.

As for the merits of each BSD, here's a real brief summary: FreeBSD has the most users and support and is the 'standard' BSD most new users cut their teeth on. Performance rocks, lots of ISP's use it for high-network systems such as web and mail servers. NetBSD runs on almost anything with a CPU. And OpenBSD is a NetBSD derivative that focuses on security and cryptography, but still has a healthy supported platform list.

Bruce

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Bruce on 2001-12-28 06:30 ]</font>

Despite
Gerbil XP

Fri Dec 28, 2001 8:24 am

I use OpenBSD for some firewalls/routers and a few servers that I need to stay secure. I absolutely love it. However, I must admit that for desktop use I still use linux. Hey, what can I say? A lot of open source stuff these days is written with linux as the target platform, whether the developers know it or not. Generally, if it's GPL, it's for linux.

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Fri Dec 28, 2001 10:04 am

I must have done something wrong. Maybe I'll give it another shot.

I know you could run Tribes 2's Linux server under FreeBSD, I wonder if RTCW will work as well. If so, I have a new OS on my game server.

cRock
Gerbil First Class

Fri Dec 28, 2001 1:01 pm

Forge,
I think you'll find that not only can you run a RTCW server, you can play the game just fine too if you get DRI working. The only thing lacking is sound (a major comit to PCM after 4.2 broke mmap sound support!).